Hello...

• SRC Member

I am going to get like 50-80kg of coral chip sand grade 0 for my tank... the problem that i actully face it washing the sand... i though of putting all the sand into my tank my soak then wash ..but this way i be will wasting of lot of water..cause my tank will be holding ard 200litre of water... my idea is saving water..which is most important! Help pls .... what u guy usally do when washing so much sand at onces...?

• SRC Member

Dosent the sand in the shops are already washed,i dun think you need to wash.Ask your lfs if it is washed.Most farms wash before they sell or import to avoid the growth of unwanted substances.

AG_fishjumping.gif

3.5 X 2.5 X 2.5 Reef Coming up :))

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L

• SRC Member
Dosent the sand in the shops are already washed,i dun think you need to wash.Ask your lfs if it is washed.Most farms wash before they sell or import to avoid the growth of unwanted substances.

no....coral chips n coral chip sand are nt pre-wash...best to wash dem first b4 laying out the sandbed....

my 2 cents..

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

i wash them in a pail... i fill the sand to around 2/3 of the pail, den add water to the top, stir them till almost everything comes out, den i pour away the water, and fill it again... around 4 times will do.... haha.. cos i juz washed mine this way...

if wanna save water, maybe can bring your sand to the public toilet, den wash it there? water will be free..?

• SRC Member
i wash them in a pail... i fill the sand to around 2/3 of the pail, den add water to the top, stir them till almost everything comes out, den i pour away the water, and fill it again... around 4 times will do.... haha.. cos i juz washed mine this way...

if wanna save water, maybe can bring your sand to the public toilet, den wash it there? water will be free..?

:D:P

• SRC Member

i think it would be better to wash it, cos when i washed mine, the first wash has a water consistency similiar to that of a diluted milo... comes with foam too.... a lot of it. water onli became clear on the 5th wash.... dunno what dat is.. or is dat supposed to be inside?!?!?!

• SRC Member

If you really have constraints, you can do away with washing the sand. It will take longer for your tank to clear out as your filtration system remove the smaller particles. There will also be some other substances like small chips of wood (which you can scope out when you add water), and some metal bits (which you cannot remove by washing either, have to use the method mentioned by zephyros).

In any case you will need to change at least 50% of the water after your cycling period, you can just use the sand as it is and cycle the tank. Can save some water in this case.

• SRC Member

The washed gravel are more expensive when compared to the normal white/yellow sacks we normally use.

I think they are $10 for 6kg vs around $7 for 10kg in the sacks. Quite taxing on the $$ bag.

Alternatively, you can make new friends in the forum quickly and get them to help. :lol:

I hate washing sand! :P

You has have to grit your teeth and go through it.... no choice, looking at the quality of so-called 'washed sand' so in our LFS... you'll be shocked at the amount of rubbish inside!

yup. i think this way is better washing method, save alot of water. 4-5 pails of water to wash a bag of sand. ok la.

as for the public toilet washing method.. :lol:

yup. i think this is a good way to wash. 4-5 pails of water to wash a sand is still alrite. i washing this way too. ;)

but for the toilet method.. :lol: