oh dear, i've got a massive invasion of sundials

• SRC Member

hi guys, a couple of months ago these little snails started showing up in my tank.

being too small to identify, i tot them to be little baby snails of the turbo snails i had in my tank

the numbers started to swell and i happily clap hand tihnking that its a good things as they can act as algae controller

however, a fellow reefer came over and he pointed out immediately that those were sundial snails...upon checking photos of the juvenile snails, alas...those were sundials in my tanks...zoo pests

now i'm trying to remove them since many of them cluster on my glass but even more hang on the rocks...off hand i'd probably estimate a 500-1000 of them to be in my tank...no kidding cos its really ALOT.

now i need advice on how to get rid of them...i'm already doing some dips on the rocks i can manage to remove and catching as many as i can without disturbing my inhabitants.

i hope you guys with knowledge can share on how to rid this...thanks in advance! :):):)

• SRC Member

some go to the zoo some hide between the polyps in the morning...try shaking your zoos and you should see some drop

but i agree that i have alot of them on the glass and rock

u can read this http://www.thesea.org/reef_aquarium/pests/pests_snails.php

now it explains why one of my zoos started dying mysteriously

some go to the zoo some hide between the polyps in the morning...try shaking your zoos and you should see some drop

but i agree that i have alot of them on the glass and rock

u can read this http://www.thesea.org/reef_aquarium/pests/pests_snails.php

now it explains why one of my zoos started dying mysteriously

Now, at least you knw the mystery of your decased Zoas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Pick as many as you can daily with your hand while the puffer fish help out.

I use t have thousands in my 5 footer and lost many zoo

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
Yes, Toby will help decimate your snail population in the tank quickly. I just bought one yesterday. So far so good, never assault my zoas etc.

Hi bro...

Where you got this puffer?

Still available ?

And how much plus size?

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

Henry @ ML has one more the last I saw. Its a cute fella.

For me, a big mistake buying it actually coz it assaulted my Narissus snail which has been with me since Day 1 in CNY last year. Felt sad for the snail as my kids and wife loved it.

If you cant find at ML and would really want it, lemme know, I can consider selling it to you. Reef safe, compatibility safe (with other fishes) but not definitely snail safe. Shrimps like sexy shrimps are not safe too... the rest of the shrimps are ok. Didnt ka jiao my Fire Shrimp.

• SRC Member
Henry @ ML has one more the last I saw. Its a cute fella. For me, a big mistake buying it actually coz it assaulted my Narissus snail which has been with me since Day 1 in CNY last year. Felt sad for the snail as my kids and wife loved it. If you cant find at ML and would really want it, lemme know, I can consider selling it to you. Reef safe, compatibility safe (with other fishes) but not definitely snail safe. Shrimps like sexy shrimps are not safe too... the rest of the shrimps are ok. Didnt ka jiao my Fire Shrimp.

Hi bro...

Thanks for the replied....

If i cant find from ML, i'll pm you.....

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump