Aaargh! Mantis Shrimp removal failed!

wedgee

• SRC Member

"PANIC" I decided to rid my tank of the notorious mantis shrimp (1" in length) just in case anything were to eventually fall prey to it, and used the freshwater approach--

i took the rock out and sprayed freshwater into it's burrow, but it refused to come out after 2 minutes, and i was worried if the mushrooms and anemone on the rock were getting stressed out...I replaced the rock eventually, only to see in horror, the dastardly piece of shrimp swim out and disappear into another piece of rock!!! AAARGH!!! Now i dont even know where it is, and as if to show off its victory over a dumb human, it's started to make super loud and continuous 'pop' sounds in its new home!!!

Oh the 'thrills' of keeping a reef tank are endless....

Does anyone know wat kinda prey they go for? Anyone had any unpleasant experiences with them? I might consider getting a trap from LFS if it starts doing damage soon...any idea where to get?

:(:(:(:(:(

• SRC Member

If you know where the hole is, you can lure it out with a some tasty seafood like scallop meat, place an open pair of sharp scissors over the hole and when it comes out, snip, behead that bastard! Takes a few practice cause they are smart but you will get it one day. ;)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

LOL!

I used to have a mantis problem... i can't remember what method I used to catch the green monster... but I did it...!

He survived more than a week in a little container with no aeration, no food... very hardy!

The rock removal thing would be the best method... but use carbonated water instead to flush him out of his hole... its supposed to work!

• SRC Member
"PANIC" I decided to rid my tank of the notorious mantis shrimp (1" in length) just in case anything were to eventually fall prey to it, and used the freshwater approach--

i took the rock out and sprayed freshwater into it's burrow, but it refused to come out after 2 minutes, and i was worried if the mushrooms and anemone on the rock were getting stressed out...I replaced the rock eventually, only to see in horror, the dastardly piece of shrimp swim out and disappear into another piece of rock!!! AAARGH!!! Now i dont even know where it is, and as if to show off its victory over a dumb human, it's started to make super loud and continuous 'pop' sounds in its new home!!!

Oh the 'thrills' of keeping a reef tank are endless....

Does anyone know wat kinda prey they go for? Anyone had any unpleasant experiences with them? I might consider getting a trap from LFS if it starts doing damage soon...any idea where to get?

:(:(:(:(:(

Why dun u try to purchase a mantis shrimp trap? I bought one from hong leong before.....no use for it now. Could sell it to u if you wan.

• SRC Member

I caught 2 of these buggers before...

Both using the isolation method...

1) take the piece of rock where the shrimp is hiding in ...

2) place it in a isolation tank of salt water...

3) you can choose to wait for him to emerge from there or

4) take a satay stick or long thin object and poke into the hole that he was last in...

5) the mantis emerge.... you remove the rock...

Well, it works...

You remove the pest and can keep it if you as a pet if you want to...

if it's a Peacock Mantis.... I would glady lighten your burden.... :lol:

BTW, the fresh water approach doesn't work... try it before.... everything else runs out except the mantis..

• SRC Member

Well, it depends on what kind they are...

Smashers or Spearers.....

Smashers : Club like arms

These kind go after hard shelled creatures like crabs, snails where they smash open the hard shells and consume the fleshly remains..

Spearers : Arms with jagged edges very much like that found on Praying Mantis..

These kind go after fishes and soft body animals....

BTW, You most probably have a smasher.... spearers don't produce any sounds.....only signs that they are around= missing fishes and shrimps....

:(

The only experience I have is the broken bodies of unwanted crabs in my tank .... :lol:

I think there is one more in my tank...

Also do take note that the Pistol shrimp produces similar "pop" sounds...

• SRC Member

They call it 'Pissing Prawns' in Hong Kong. Yes! Yum... :P

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

WOW! Strange how such a small creature can attract so much attention and comments, heheh :rolleyes: Anyways, i guess i dont really have to worry so much for now rite? Really dont wana risk collapsing my rock structure just to get to the bastard...

Maybe when things start disappearing or dying; that will be a different story...

BTW NIVLAC, how much u selling the trap for? Was it effective? Got pic to see? heheh...