Review of Ripples Cafe

mUAr_cHEe

• SRC Member

As I was feeling the urge, I called and made a booking for Coco. Oops. Wrong FR. ;)

Decided to head on down to Ripples for dinner since I did not had any where else in mind. I reached Amoy Street at around 6.30pm. Parking will be difficult on weekends. There are a couple of restaurants down Amoy Street. There is a famous Hokkien/Teochew restaurant at the end of the street. It is basically those kind of little streets with shophouses at both sides. Parallel parking is available at both sides, with a itsy-bitsy car park of maybe an extra 16 lots? I didn't really go and count. As for me, yesterday was easy to get a lot. I can still pick and choose.

Came out of the car and made my way to Ripples. It is quite easy to find, a little lighted sign board told us that it is Ripples Cafe. You can't go wrong with the number also. Not like the places has jumping and random block or unit numbers like in those huge industrial parks.

Place is nicely-done, small and cosy. What really caught my eye was the tank in the middle of the place. Very nice reef tank. Will not talk too much on that since I went basically for the food.

Maybe the air-conditioning and ventilation of the place can be further improved. It is kind of stuffy for me, then again, for those who know me well, I can perspire a lot even when it is raining and everyone is cold.

Place is kind of small to push a baby pram around. If the place was packed, it will be quite hard to move around. Would recommend standing by a few high chairs to accommodate the new parents that seemed to be a lot nowadays.

Saw the Chef, Joe (or so it says on his uniform.) and the lady boss. Warm and friendly people. Or maybe it is so because it turns out my wife is her old friend. :P But I am sure they are all warm and friendly people. Maybe that’s why there so warm, the people there too warm liao. :lol:

Got down to business and a menu was presented to us. Nicely-done. But would be hard for the old folks to read. Font kind of small, but menu is very tastefully done. There are not too bad a variety, mostly are fish dishes, a couple of chicken, pastas, and if I did not remember wrongly, there is a Ribeye burger! Must try this one. Sounds good.

Lady boss was very friendly and helpful. She recommended us to take a meal set. For an extra three bucks, we can have a can of soda with a soup of the day! Soup of the day yesterday was Tomato Soup. My wife shuddered at the mentioned of it. We are ketchup people not Tomato people. :P As I was feeling adventurous, I went for it. She then recommended to us to take a chicken and a fish dish each. That was exactly what I had in mind. Does she have a crystal ball hidden somewhere or something? So we took the Baked Fish with Mango Salsa and a Grilled Chicken Steak.

When the soup came, WOW! The soup bowl is big enough for 2 people. It is really big. I would pay just three bucks for the soup alone. As for the tomato, well, lets just put it as I am still not a tomato person despite feeling adventurous. There is a lot of tomato taste in the soup. If there is a mushroom soup done the same way, I am sure it will be very good. It is just that I do not like tomatoes, just like some of your guys do not like having ###### with hamsters like I do.

Then came our main course. Both dishes look very well done, and with care. Not like mass-production quality in those other restaurants. Usually, you will only expect this kind of presentation on the food at those high-class chic French or hotel restaurants. Portion is kind of small, still same as the standard of those high-class chic French or hotel restaurants. :lol:

I took the chicken, (although I really wanted the fish, but what to do? I love my wife.) Chicken skin had abit burnt taste. But the meat is tender and juicy. The sauce over it was nothing really to shout about. Indonesian-style, is all I can put a word on it. Overall the chicken is ok for me.

But the fish, my gosh, is very very very good! (I KNEW IT!!! But, I love my wife. *sob* *sob* Love is all about sacrificing.) My wife did managed to let me have a bit of the fish, even with the mango salsa that is all over it. The fish is cooked just right. The salsa is mixed just right. Oooo! Oi-E-Shee! So Deli-cious!!

That’s about all we had. Lady boss treated us to a big bowl of wedges, not because I am so handsome, but because she is my wife old friend.

I managed to get a glimpse of the cake display and ice cream display at the front. The cake looks good, the ice cream is those kind of Gelato Italian Ice cream style. You can never go wrong with Gelato. But we were so bloated and I am on a diet. So, we did not order any desert.

Will definitely come back to eat the Baked Fish with Mango Salsa all by myself, again!! (Yes, without the missus! *looks behind to check if Mrs. mUAr_cHEe is looking*)

For those who can not be bothered to read my detailed FR. Here is the summary.

Name: Coco

Face: 9/10

Body: 8/10

Oops. Wrong FR Summary again. Heehee. :P

Café: Ripples

Parking: Difficult on weekends, and maybe on late week day nights.

Ambience/Environment: 8/10. Do not know if it is me, or air-con is bad at the back.

Food: 8/10. Would have gotten full mark for the fish alone. It is that good! Really!

People: 9/10. Minus 1 mark for boss MIA. Too good business, was out doing catering when I came.

Tank: 8/10. Minus 2 marks for absence of SPS. Heehee. A SPS freak here.

Baby-friendliness: Not very. Kind of cramp to navigate the baby pram around if restaurant is packed.

Overall: 8/10 so far. I have not visited the toilet yet or try a stunt to test staff patience. Promise to do that in my subsequent visits!

RTF oops… I mean RTE (Return to Eat.) :P : YES!!!!

No pictures this time round, although I brought my Camera. I was busying caring for my daughter. Didn't really have time or mood to take some good pictures of the place and food.

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

Oh man the Baked fish with Mango Salsa again!!! :yeah:

Can't stand the temptation already, I may go down just this weekend :lol::lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Dun hang out too much at Sammyboy dude...:P

too late.

I am considering to start another account there under mUAr_cHEe to wreck my nonsense there too. Too much sleeze attached to my last 7 nicks.

• SRC Member

too late.

I am considering to start another account there under mUAr_cHEe to wreck my nonsense there too. Too much sleeze attached to my last 7 nicks.

:lol: me 2...maybe i need to re-register a new nick too....rep damnz...jialiat..! :P

• SRC Member

Take MRT to Tanjong Pagar. Walk to Amoy street market till u reach the end of the food market, u'll see a small temple (dun know wat name) at teh corner. Just carry on walking and follow the road toward China SQ. THe restaurant is somewhere in the middle of the stretch of road. ~ 5 - 10mins of walking distance from Tanjong Pagar MRT station.

Cheers

JC

• SRC Member
u'll see a small temple (dun know wat name) at teh corner.

The one is "Tua Pei Kong" aka Big Grand Uncle Temple. Ripples is actually located just right behind "Tian Fu Gong".

• SRC Member
Take MRT to Tanjong Pagar. Walk to Amoy street market till u reach the end of the food market, u'll see a small temple (dun know wat name) at teh corner. Just carry on walking and follow the road toward China SQ. THe restaurant is somewhere in the middle of the stretch of road. ~ 5 - 10mins of walking distance from Tanjong Pagar MRT station.

Cheers

JC

Okie might pop by on Monday/Tuesday to look see...

• SRC Member

I just dropped by today coz I was in the area (well technically yesterday coz it's 4am now) and thankfully I missed the lunch crowd.

Anyway I had the fish with mango salsa and a ice blended mocha.. not bad I must say... also managed to meet up with James and have a nice chat with him.

Too bad his tank just crashed over the weekend, all the best getting it back to shape! Other than that it was a pleasant meal and I look forward to going there again if the opportunity so permits.