About top&bottom overflow pipe design

peong

• SRC Member

Hi Guys,

I have a simple design to make a Top&Bottom overflow pipe for my tank, but really don't whether it will actually works? can someone with more experience give me some advice? thanks!

post-9-1144895567.jpg

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

I have a simple design to make a Top&Bottom overflow pipe for my tank, but really don't whether it will actually works? can someone with more experience give me some advice? thanks!

Guess if there is a power failure to your return pump, the bottom siphone will such dry your main tank and your sump will be flooded.

Don't worry about the overflow causing the sump to flood druing power failure as the top of the pipe will create a siphon break once the water level drop below the top opening level.

When the return flow return and water level reach above the outlet the siphon will return and it will function as per normal.

It is a good design go for it.

• SRC Member

bro rogersoh,

tks 4 ur encouragement. I still not very sure whether it will actually works or not. Wat I'm guessing is, I might need to drive a powerful return pump to make both suction to works, or else, the bottom suction will not b working at all. I'm right?

As the design is really too simple, even I never c anyone ppl using tat b4, maybe is good tat more experts would like to give ur comments to benefit everyone.

BIG THANK YOU!

• SRC Member

check this out.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...low%20pipe&st=0

sorry la, been like repeating myself on the same thing bout boxes over and over again, so a lil.. tired... haha.

can check out my thread in members tank and specs, for a run thru on the overflow box. bro chrisyew was juz asking bout it, and i posted some replys there.

• SRC Member

Base on this plan, my system work very well. U must hv a power return to let both suitions works or else the top flow will only act as air suition. Thanks for all guys who has contributed ur ideal.

• SRC Member

from the way i look at it,

if return pump fails,

water level drops below that horizontal pipe(there's only one), the siphon will break. then, when the pump is switched on again, there will be no siphoning right?

unless... its just acts as a flow... for water to flow out and has no siphoning effect... ;)

think its safer to use the usual overflow design. all the best bro.

• SRC Member

yepz, think it'd most probably work, since its a draining pipe and no siphoning involved.

anyways, i feel that it wouldn't allow water to reach to the top hole, because, once the water reach the level of the horizontal tube, water would be drained out. yea....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I DIY this over flow and it did not fail me :)

post-9-1149575140.jpg

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

• SRC Member

So if there is a pump failure, the main tank water cuts off at the interior overflow box. The difference in the height of the pipes keeps the suction / gravity in place. Thus when power is back, water overflows into the box and everything resumes..

Best Regards,

Morpheous

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

• 2 years later...
So if there is a pump failure, the main tank water cuts off at the interior overflow box. The difference in the height of the pipes keeps the suction / gravity in place. Thus when power is back, water overflows into the box and everything resumes..

And besides how to start the flow in the overflowbox after the return pump failure?