Journey of my current tank

Chris

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice piece :)

but do be careful :)

This Pseudocorynactis from Fiji is beautiful but not safe with fishes and adjacent invertebrates. It is a voracious eater that has powerful nematocysts in the ball-like tentacle tips.

Pseudocorynactis spp. are like Corynactis but are much larger (to about six inches (15 cm) diameter, and usually not colonial. They also reproduce by fission, but it is unusual to find more than about six clones together as a group. The so-called orange ball anemones that can be observed on coral reefs at night are Pseudocorynactis spp. The column varies in color from cryptic shades of brown to orange, red and magenta. The tips of the tentacles are commonly bright orange, but they can also be white. These tentacle tips are extremely sticky, like flypaper, due to the presence of powerful nematocysts. This fact makes the larger species from the Indo Pacific region unsuitable for aquariums housing fishes, which they readily capture. They also can catch mobile invertebrates such as shrimps and snails, and sometimes "attack" sessile invertebrates growing on adjacent rocks, enveloping them in the gastric cavity through a widely opened mouth. Pseudocorynactis spp. can be fed daily, but only require twice weekly feeding to keep them healthy. If they are not fed frequently enough, they shrink. There is a marked behavioral difference between the common Caribbean and Indo-Pacific species.

The Caribbean species, Pseudocorynactis caribbaeorum mainly opens its tentacles at night, and closes rapidly when it senses light. The Indo-Pacific species remains open both day and night, and is not sensitive to light. The presence of food smells (dissolved amino acids) in the water stimulates either species to open up and extend the tentacles, and the caribbean species can be trained to open in the light by feeding it during daylight hours. The mechanism for its apparent memory is not known.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/invert.htm

• SRC Member

It consumed a big damsel !

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Thanks guys... and gal.

Flub, got no makeup...first pic was 5 mins old. Second about 2 days old.

Also, the mushroom/anemone does not belong to me!! Is't Tigger boredom is action. If you want see it in person....go to Sentosa. Anyway, it's not for sale!

I think (marine) therefore I am

• 7 months later...
  • SRC Member

hey it suppose to be ur tank thread

how come a baby comes out hahah

One pair of Nice round big eyes

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

Sunny,

It's a tank thread and that little thing is called 'Anthias'. That's her name. :D

Wa_lanz,

My tank is still very much the same and I seldom take picture of it. Maybe sometime later. The only different is out when some big fish (tangs) and in came some small fish (mini-gobies)

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

It is encrusting (purple with green ployps) so pretty difficult to frag. I broke out a small piece (about 50cent coin) but it got blown away by current and gone MIA. Will try to see if still can break. If I get 2 pieces, will trade it with Rav and Weileong. Will keep you guys informed.