Justification to sell fish?

ok, last nite i was studying econs for my A's and thought up a very weird question(after reading some essay outline:is the monopoly evil? discuss.....), ok, i shall put it in human language first, then write the economic justification, ok, here goes:

fish shops sell abt the same product, a tang in marine parade is same as a tang in LCK, so the business is set in such a way that the shops are selling near to the same good, in this type of business, a shop must be the most competitve to survive, if not, other shops will steal business and u will have to close down(justification below) so how to be the most competitive? sell ur fish at very high prices, bluff those who u can bluff, sell corals and fish to kids that know nuts abt marine fishes and are expected to kill their fishes by the next day...basically doing all that is 'immoral'... even not cycling ur tank properly is profitable...if u know the right strategy, like not putting so many fish that u can't sell in a day, or at least u can't sell till ur losses are minimised where the least number of fish dies... consider the cost of waiting for the tank to cycle, it eats up several weeks of business( take note, this is opportunity cost, which is part of the TC, AC and MC curves according to economic definition (econs cost=accounting cost + opp. cost) provided u are a rich man's son, if u try to be ethical, u would surely lose out, even merely reading up will have opp. cost, so if u can only do business if u do it immorally, is setting up fish shops immoral? are we contributing to the sin when we buy fish? should fish shops be banned? what can be done?

a summary of the above: if u don't cheat, u dun last, so only cheaters win in the game of fish selling, and thus accounting for so many of the 'immoral' shops as compared tto the good ones so izit immoral to buy fish?

economic justification:

the LFC is a perfectly competitive industry, why? it sells undiffrentiated goods, has little or no barriers to entry, furthermore, there are tons of shops after the 'nemo' craze, further proving that this industry is nearly perfectly competitve. in a PC market, the firms have to be both allocative and productive efficient to survive, which means, cut costs as much as possible...by cheating, not only do u cut cost( opp. cost of cycling is cut), u raise demand far above the normal range(nemo craze) thus outcompeting the 'normal' shops and thus being far more efficient, starving out business for 'normal' shops and thus putting them in shutdown condition, so are we contributing to the damage if we keep buying fish? should fish shops be banned?

yes, i know i have been studying too late and too hard....

sakura_japan.jpg

• SRC Member
ok, last nite i was studying econs for my A's and thought up a very weird question(after reading some essay outline:is the monopoly evil? discuss.....), ok, i shall put it in human language first, then write the economic justification, ok, here goes:

fish shops sell abt the same product, a tang in marine parade is same as a tang in LCK, so the business is set in such a way that the shops are selling near to the same good, in this type of business, a shop must be the most competitve to survive, if not, other shops will steal business and u will have to close down(justification below) so how to be the most competitive? sell ur fish at very high prices, bluff those who u can bluff, sell corals and fish to kids that know nuts abt marine fishes and are expected to kill their fishes by the next day...basically doing all that is 'immoral'... even not cycling ur tank properly is profitable...if u know the right strategy, like not putting so many fish that u can't sell in a day, or at least u can't sell till ur losses are minimised where the least number of fish dies... consider the cost of waiting for the tank to cycle, it eats up several weeks of business( take note, this is opportunity cost, which is part of the TC, AC and MC curves according to economic definition (econs cost=accounting cost + opp. cost) provided u are a rich man's son, if u try to be ethical, u would surely lose out, even merely reading up will have opp. cost, so if u can only do business if u do it immorally, is setting up fish shops immoral? are we contributing to the sin when we buy fish? should fish shops be banned? what can be done?

a summary of the above: if u don't cheat, u dun last, so only cheaters win in the game of fish selling, and thus accounting for so many of the 'immoral' shops as compared tto the good ones so izit immoral to buy fish?

economic justification:

the LFC is a perfectly competitive industry, why? it sells undiffrentiated goods, has little or no barriers to entry, furthermore, there are tons of shops after the 'nemo' craze, further proving that this industry is nearly perfectly competitve. in a PC market, the firms have to be both allocative and productive efficient to survive, which means, cut costs as much as possible...by cheating, not only do u cut cost( opp. cost of cycling is cut), u raise demand far above the normal range(nemo craze) thus outcompeting the 'normal' shops and thus being far more efficient, starving out business for 'normal' shops and thus putting them in shutdown condition, so are we contributing to the damage if we keep buying fish? should fish shops be banned?

yes, i know i have been studying too late and too hard....

understand what you r trying to relate, however, please note that what is in the textbooks generally describe the general things. there are DEFINTELY other ways of which that a competitive LFS can thrive and survive other than raising the prices and bluffing the ignorant. A few of the examples of ways they can make money include:-

i) providing high level of quality customer services, e.g. giving adequate and sound advices especially to newbies, friendly services, willing to order w/out additional charges, free delivery....

ii) easing inconveniences such as having late working hours to cater to those who are working overtime, intentionally open longer hours than usual to wait for regular customer..

iii) giving discounts to regulars and bulk discounts to newbies... :lol:

iv) personally assisting to set up the tank and teaching people the right way to handle the livestocks, especially the rare ones.... etc etc etc....

the list may go on. LFS can get creative in retaining customers' loyalty in many many ways but this might not generate much revenue in short run. however in long run, by word of mouth (and via forums as such), the shop gets accredited and customers would flow in....

in a nutshell, business should have CUSTOMERS' NEEDS in mind..... :upsidedown:

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

ermmmmmmmmm..........PC markets rarely or never do go long run, bcos they rarely have enuff capital...i can't even tell how many fish shops, aside frm the big ones that can go LR, most are stuck in their nookies forever...the discus shop i was buying discus from closed down recently cos he was pro. and did not cheat, and gave good advise and did not sell fish to impulse buyers, and so he closed down...he was cool, when i was a newbie in FW, and wanted to keep 4 discus in one tank, he refused to sell me anything beyond 2 till i got another tank....and thus he closed down in a PC market.....besdies, 24hr shops, or even good PR(bulls***ing skills?) can be found even in those shops tt do not cycle, look at those shops that thrive and go LR(as in, buy another shop? branches?), they are usually those crappy stalls located at prime locations and with 70% of their customers doing impulse buys....hint hint......perhaps the public is not well educated enuff...but usually they dun give a DA** esp. when doing impulse buys... but u got a pt. there, some of the good ones survive, but most barely do...

sakura_japan.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

if that is the case, most buisnesses would be out of business, if you talk about morality and ethics that is.

take pet farms for example. disease ridden kennels used to churn out millions, especially whenever Walt Disney releases a show like Beethoven. or when Starhub advertised for their handphone coverage with Jack Russel Terriers. hell some people even got hooked onto chihuahuas when they saw ###### having one.

I guess thats the human mentality that everybody who does business will try to..."manipulate." more often than not, its normally profit before ethics. and even with the strict guidelines laid out by the AVA, there normally is an area of grey when it comes to moralities and ethics of sales.

put it this way of ethics and morality was such an issue, you wouldn't be having fishes or birds as pets. or dogs or cats for example. you're holding them against their will. (= like, dog-knap or something. :P

so yah. and yes. you study economics too much already. no need to write it out here (coz you wouldn't get marks for it! :P). write it out during your A levels lah...then can score! (=

lol, bullshitting as in like... cannot say la, will offend the LFS guy(if he is here...)

anyway, some ppl say things like trying to sell of false percs for true percs, u go think up the rest =)

how come u can dig up such a old post?

false percs for true percs .. . .

most probably the seller will say "the black strips will come out in time" .. .

then hope that the unfortunate "under exposed" hobbist's "true perc" will die before time lol <_<

anything to do with this LFS interest me, cause there was once he was here on another thread making a big ding "$^#$^%" and threatening to ban those who disagree with him . .. . .. dang lame man !

find the thread and judge for yourself .. ..

dun say hobbist here dun give him a chance :rolleyes:

show the thread leh, i also want to see....

ya lor, LFS everytime say half-turths one...very dissapointing

keeping mammals is unlike keeping marine fishes where u need to kill patches of living areas...where ppl throw in cyanide like nobody's business and destroy so much reef

ppl harvesting fish should learn from singapore, after damage that spot liao, put one of those cone-like things let corals grow again(shown in CNA quite sometime ago) or even harvest corals from those cone things

and i'm sure technology can develop something to catch fishes without touching cyanide, like create super-attractive food paired with traps or electric shock enough to stun but wun damage fishes or whatever

anyway if ur wondering why i'm posting, i'm done with econs and maths liao, left physics....

i must admit that this hobby is doing very little damage to the ocean compared to oil slicks or fishing(large scale w/ small hole nets) but its bcos we're damaging only one area---->the reefs...

sometimes LFS treat ppl like idiot, cannot stand

something weird happen to may tank recently, my ammonia and nitrite went up to un-readable levels, but its zero today...wonder why...

sakura_japan.jpg

FYI, mammals like dogs/cats/hamsters have to undergo a compulsory quarantine period when coming in from overseas.

have you been to the quarantine farm before? oh my gosh its like...worse than a concentration camp. you can smell death in the air literally.

many puppies don't even make it through that phase. and by the way, quarantine is two way. meaning if a dog comes from Australia, it must first be quarantined in Australia, then in Singapore. not sure about the rules now but that was the case when I bought my dog nine years ago. and she nearly died as a result from a severe infection that she got whilst at the quarantine kennels.

we're out of point, aren't we. (=

ermmm...point i'm trying to put across is that u don't need to drive dogs n cats to extinction or to the brink of it, and you do not need to kill the other 10000 microscopic animals, corals, fishes etc. just to get ONE fish

yeah, i agree its cruel to dogs and cats, i suppose they feel more than fish do(honestly!), with their affections and closeness in relationship with humans, its less hurting to see an enemy beat you than a friend...lol

i don't like THAT organisation, but i shouldn't say too much, u should know what i'm refering to, they treat animals like crap and sometimes sell off confiscated stuff...

sakura_japan.jpg