How to keep chaetos?

Hi all,

i see many reefers using chaetos to reduce excess nutrients in their tanks.

How do i go abt keeping chaetos in my tank?

Understand that they can grow pretty quickly so have to trim often.

But whats the diff between chaetos and Caulerpa?

Caulerpa need to be under light 24/7 .... wat abt chaetos?

can i keep a batch of chaetos within a small breeding tank within my tank?

my lights are only switched on from 5pm to 10pm... too short timing for chaetos?

Pls advise.

Thanks!!!

Chaetos are easy... wat they need is flow of water thru them. Lighting wise, I'm able to get them to grow quickly using just those 8W energy saving lights.

However, i believe small amt of chaeto doesn't help much in nutrient export. You need a sizeable colony to see a difference in nutrient export. If ur tank is ok, no nuisance algae, u may not need it at all (especially just in a small betta box)

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Anyone has the idea where to buy it?? price wise ?

My 2ft Tank

Tank specification ;

1) 8 mm glass with external overflow tank

2) 8 mm sump tank

3) Main return pump - AB 3000 ( 45 W )

4) Chiller main return pump - AB 2000i ( 18 W )

5) Chiller - Artica titanium chiller 1/10 HP ( 75 W)

6) Wave maker - tunze 6206 nano wavebox ( 10 W only ! )

7) Skimmer - H & S skimmer with AB needle wheel ( 18 W )

8) CR - RM Calcium reactor with AB 1000 ( 10W )

9) Denitirator - RM suplur Dnitirator with maxi jet pump ( 12 W )

10 ) Lighting - Lumen Auqa LED lighting ( 48 W only ! )

11) Hailei ozone generator ( 7 W )

12) Oceanus 2 x 2ft LED lighting ( 14 W) for chaeto planting

13) Tunze 6025 ( 6 W)

14) Skimz FR with rowa

TOTAL ; 263 W !!!

The key apparently when I first got my bunch of chaeto was to keep it in a water stream that would cause the bunch to rotate.

And nope you do not want to pump CO2 into your tank to grow them ;)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

As to my knowledge, better not to grow caulerpa. It will grow in paces that you dont want it to grow. I have seen tanks that infested like ants after introduced.

I have no knopwlege of chaetos. I heard some people that chaetos will grow in other places once introduced to the tank. Is that true? How low is the moiionimum light needed? 5 pcs of 0.5W led can be enough? LOL. I just dont like my refugium to have much light stronger than my living room.

• SRC Member

In marine we dont use CO2 which is bad for the system. Anything that needs CO2 is belong to fresh water system.

A-hem... I think the Ca reactor use CO2 to arrive at the correct pH within the chamber for the media to dissolve.... However, CO2 is not require for macro algae growth 'cos we are more concern with the level of O2 than CO2.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

A-hem... I think the Ca reactor use CO2 to arrive at the correct pH within the chamber for the media to dissolve.... However, CO2 is not require for macro algae growth 'cos we are more concern with the level of O2 than CO2.

yea correctbut ca reactor is not in the tank, LOL :lol:

• SRC Member
As to my knowledge, better not to grow caulerpa. It will grow in paces that you dont want it to grow. I have seen tanks that infested like ants after introduced.

I have no knopwlege of chaetos. I heard some people that chaetos will grow in other places once introduced to the tank. Is that true? How low is the moiionimum light needed? 5 pcs of 0.5W led can be enough? LOL. I just dont like my refugium to have much light stronger than my living room.

caulerpa also risk going asexual if I am not wrong, which is a big problem for your tank.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• 2 months later...
seems my chaetos grow very slow. So I cant give out, sorry.

Depends on your lightings and water condition. If low lights and low nutrients... grow slow la.

Mine growing fast coz my lighting is 36W and switch on 24/7. Also, my nitrates a bit high at 5ppm. So every 2 weeks need to trim about 3 tubs-full..

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

Depends on your lightings and water condition. If low lights and low nutrients... grow slow la.

Mine growing fast coz my lighting is 36W and switch on 24/7. Also, my nitrates a bit high at 5ppm. So every 2 weeks need to trim about 3 tubs-full..

Bro u got any chaetos to give away? :paiseh: i stay near hougang also.

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)