Baby Seahorses..

Joe_P

• SRC Supporter
can post your nursery setup?

Dominik,

Nothing much to my setup..

I basically house them in acrylic vats.. or tubes.. previously used to raise peppermint shrimp larve.

That simple. Lets hope this works for the reidis.. :unsure:

Bro Joe,

How your setup work?

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Supporter
Not adviseable to buy baby frys. They are difficult to raise.

50 of my 210 reidi frys died on the fourth day of birth.

Dominik,

What did you feed your fries with?

Passed some of the fries to Fuel and he's been feeding them with the larger sized rotifers.

Seems to be working for him..

I fed my batch with newly hatched bbs.. ;)

• SRC Supporter
If you are selling, count me in also.

Cheers,

That's unless I'm able to get them up to sub-adult sizing (reidis fries are considered to be one of the more difficult seahorse species to raise).. anything smaller and most of us here would have difficulty getting the right size of live feed for them.. unless they are weaned into frozen early.. but from what I heard, that is a pretty difficult task..

Lol.. maybe i can feed them with my peppermint shrimp larve.. (rather expensive feed though) :pinch:

Eh... strataman.. aren't you already breeding seahorses? :unsure:

• SRC Member
That's unless I'm able to get them up to sub-adult sizing (reidis fries are considered to be one of the more difficult seahorse species to raise).. anything smaller and most of us here would have difficulty getting the right size of live feed for them.. unless they are weaned into frozen early.. but from what I heard, that is a pretty difficult task..

Lol.. maybe i can feed them with my peppermint shrimp larve.. (rather expensive feed though) :pinch:

Eh... strataman.. aren't you already breeding seahorses? :unsure:

I wanna book your 3 females and 3 males reidi when you decided to sell, OK? LOL. Very early booking. Whose next?

• SRC Member
Dominik,

What did you feed your fries with?

Passed some of the fries to Fuel and he's been feeding them with the larger sized rotifers.

Seems to be working for him..

I fed my batch with newly hatched bbs.. ;)

Yup i also fed my frys with bbs. Currently left around 50 frys.

How many did your reidi give birth to? how many frys are left?

Current tank

Past tank

• SRC Supporter
Yup i also fed my frys with bbs. Currently left around 50 frys.

How many did your reidi give birth to? how many frys are left?

Did not do a count when they are first released.. but as of now, there's 127 left.

Noticed the ones that survived are those with tummies that were orangey.. so assume that they managed to feed on the NHBBS. (Newly hatch baby brine shrimp)

Have however passed some to a friend who has added rotifers as first feed.. results seems positive so far. Am considering adding rotifers for my next batch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Jus a little update..

Seahorse average size is approximately 1.5 cm with a few larger ones sizing at 2 cm.

Lost quite a portion of my stock and the current ones are no longer in their pelagic stage.

Let's see whats happens from here.. think the most difficult part would be finding the right sized livefeed for them. :unsure:

Will try to get some pics..

• SRC Member

Wow how u manage to get them grow and survive for 2 weeks???Care to post a pic for us???

girlone.png