Whitefish 24g Nano Cube Story

lweepin

The tank is in its 9th week. I decided to give an update since I have added a few corels this week.

Water Parameters

I noticed that my calcium level is trendind upwards (440 ppm), while alkalinity is still flucuating between 8-9.

I have just bought Seachem carbonate to try to adjust the alkalinity upwards. My target is 9 in the long term.

Live Stock

I have got some small red mushrooms from bro Snowman for CNY. See whether you can spot them in my tank <_<

I have also bought two hammer corals. The green tip one is my favorite. I heard that they do not like high current. I am still finding a suitable place for it.

I have moved my brown zoa down to the sand bed because I noticed that the side facing the light is getting lighter in colour.

After moving it down, some parts of it is getting some light green colour. Quite interesting.

post-13774-1202087029.jpg

post-13774-1202087040.jpgpost-13774-1202087361.jpg

WhiteFish

Equipment: JBJ 24g Nano Cube with 9 x 3W White & 9 X 3W Royal Blue LED Lighting + Tunze Nanostream 6025+ 1 Fan

Fishs : 1x Cardinalfish, 2 x false Percula Clownfish

Inverts : 1x Sea Serpent starfish, 1x blue legged hermit crab, 1 x orange starfish

Corals : 2 x Lobophyllia, brown rics, red & green mushrooms, Yuma, Torch, Octo, favites, , clove, 1 x Aveopora,

Tank Thread : [url=http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83257]

• 2 weeks later...

This is my 11th Week Update.

Brought the following stuff from Coral Farm on Sat

1 x Sand Dollar

1 x CoCo Tube Worm

1 x Orange Star Fish.

Unfortunately, my orange star started to lose some of its flesh at the tip of its leg after just one day.

Today, it start to spread to the rest of the legs.

What is wrong with it? :cry2: Anyone have any suggestions?

The rest of the LS is doing fine.

post-13774-1203303957.jpgpost-13774-1203303933.jpg

post-13774-1203303989.jpg

WhiteFish

Equipment: JBJ 24g Nano Cube with 9 x 3W White & 9 X 3W Royal Blue LED Lighting + Tunze Nanostream 6025+ 1 Fan

Inverts : 1x Sea Serpent starfish, 1x blue legged hermit crab, 1 x orange starfish

Corals : 2 x Lobophyllia, brown rics, red & green mushrooms, Yuma, Torch, Octo, favites, , clove, 1 x Aveopora,

Unfortunately, my orange star started to lose some of its flesh at the tip of its leg after just one day.

Today, it start to spread to the rest of the legs.

What is wrong with it? :cry2: Anyone have any suggestions?

The rest of the LS is doing fine.

Did you acclimatize the Starfish before introducing to your tank? Don't think that's a COCO btw :unsure:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• 2 weeks later...

This is my 13th Week update.

Change of Pump

Last week, I changed the water pump from the original one (8W 800l/h) to Eheim Compact 1000 (24W 100l/h).

It was a mistake because the water temperature increase to 32 degC because I do not have a chiller.

Within 2 days, the high temp have a visible impact on the corals. I was forced to swap back the original pump and the temp went back to 29 degC.

The shaft of the original pump corode easily. I am still on a lookout for a new of better quality but with a smiliar flowrate and wattage.

Any recommendations?

Coral Additions

During the weekends, I have also purchased some corals from a fellow friendly reefer.

1 x man eater

1 x lobophyillia together with zoas

1 x favites brain coral

My tank is now quite full and do have much space left for more corals

post-13774-1204609425.jpg

post-13774-1204609460.jpg

WhiteFish

• 4 weeks later...

Week 17 update. Bought some new corals since last update.

See whether you can spot it

post-13774-1206833887.jpg

WhiteFish

• 2 months later...

Decided to give an update after such a long time.

My tank is now slightly more than 7 months old.

I am still managing without a chiller. It has been a challenge.

Ever since I got a fan, I have managed to control my tank to a temperature of 28+/-1 deg C (from about 30) by optimizing the timer. I also need to use low wattage equipment. I have to add about 1 litre of water every day at this setting.

With this temperature, my hammer has recovered from bleaching.

However, it seem that my red favia is still bleached. I wonder that it will slowly died off or it will stay this way? Maybe I should give it away to someone whon can nurse it back to health.

My gonipora is also bleached but seem to be still doing well. Actually, the light colour is nicer than when it is not bleached :whistle

Unfortuanely, last month, one of my common clown decided to committ sucide by jumping onto the sponge in the filter compartment. Other than that, all the fishes are doing well.

Any comments and thoughts are welcomed

post-13774-1214361069.jpg

WhiteFish

This is another recent coral I brought from Iwarna.

My previous green lobo is doing well even without the chiller. Thus I decided to do buy a red one.

It is still not as "puffy" as my green one. Hopefully, it will expand more when get used to the tank

post-13774-1214361285.jpg

WhiteFish

This is my last update for today.

This is my latest fish addition - Yellow Clown Goby from Iwarna.

This is a very fun fish to watch. It is always resting on some of my coral.

post-13774-1214361489.jpg

WhiteFish

• SRC Member
Unfortuanely, last month, one of my common clown decided to committ sucide by jumping onto the sponge in the filter compartment.

I see a damsel fish in there. Was there any chasing around before? Aggression could lead to stress and then... :pinch:

• SRC Member
This is my last update for today.

This is my latest fish addition - Yellow Clown Goby from Iwarna.

This is a very fun fish to watch. It is always resting on some of my coral.

post-13774-1214361489.jpg

Very cute :upsidedown: u got it today? Still have anymore there?

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

I see a damsel fish in there. Was there any chasing around before? Aggression could lead to stress and then... :pinch:

I don't think that the damsel is the cause of the suicide. According to literature, the yellow-tail damsel is the least aggressive one. This is one of the first few fishes I bought and I have not seen it chase anyone yet. On hindsight, I should not have risk buying one in the first place. However, that time, I was a newbie and can't resist it because of its bright colours, hardy nature and low price :whistle

I once bought a green wrassle before...he is the real terror that drive my clown crazy.

WhiteFish

Very cute :upsidedown: u got it today? Still have anymore there?

I bought it last Saturday. At that time, there is about 10 left. It cost less than a green note.

Yesterday, the goby went missing. :pinch: I hope that it is just hidding and has become dinner for the hairy crab (hitchhiker). It is growing bigger and he always become a suspect when a fish go missing. MUst figure a way to remove it.

WhiteFish

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

very cute clown goby, hope it comes out soon.. :)

and bro, your coralline also spreading all over nicely too..

Snowman bro,

Thanks for your comments. Unfortuanely, my yellow goby is moved from MIA list to KIA.

Did not even see its body. No sure should buy another one to replace or not..

You must have been busy with school....didn't see you as active in this forum as before...

1st year in U...must remember to have fun in school

very cute clown goby, hope it comes out soon.. :)

and bro, your coralline also spreading all over nicely too..

WhiteFish

I realized that my tank has become too cluttered. Thus I decided to do a minor rescaping.

What do you guys think? Which do you prefer ...Lanscape 1 or 2? :eyebrow:

post-13774-1215337172.jpg post-13774-1215336147.jpg

WhiteFish

My Nano Fish Tank over 7 months.......

post-13774-1215341757.jpg

WhiteFish

• SRC Member

yeap, busy with starting school.. excited to go back to sch haha.. 1st yr uni, wish me luck man haha..

yea man bro, i like landscape 2! very nicely done up.. and ur chronicles of your tank pics, very nice.. very good way to monitor and see the progress.. swee.. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Went to GO for the first time.

Unfortuanately, I was there just before the special shipment.

But my pockets are not deep enough for the special gems anyway.

The selection of LPS is really great and buying is so much easier when the tanks have MH.

I bought a candy cane, a green plate coral and a pink open brain :rolleyes:

If it is not so far from my place, i definitely will be there more often.

post-13774-1216131777.jpg

WhiteFish

Yes..it is a toadstool mushroom leather ..getting bigger.

Mine is a bot shy when I bought it. But now it quite OK...

ah..is tat a toadstool? getting bigger.. btw, when u rescape, wouldnt ur firefish jump? Mine is so timid, sometimes i place my hand in to clean the tank it jumped. 4 times already..

WhiteFish

Went to GO for the first time.

Unfortuanately, I was there just before the special shipment.

But my pockets are not deep enough for the special gems anyway.

The selection of LPS is really great and buying is so much easier when the tanks have MH.

I bought a candy cane, a green plate coral and a pink open brain :rolleyes:

If it is not so far from my place, i definitely will be there more often.

post-13774-1216131777.jpg

Hi WhiteFish, do you have the address for GO?