Jervis' Reefing Renaissance

jervismun

Can't wait to see how the coral will look like when placed on a dark coloured substrate.

:)

I am pretty curious too... In my opinion, lighting must be sufficient or else the whole tank will look dark... if the lighting is right, I believe reds and greens will pop-out like nobody's business :eyebrow: Will be able to find out very soon as another reefer has jump started a Reef Sea Max using the same Live Sand too.

Now where's that reefer been to? :eyeblur:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought 2 packs of that black substrate too! And it looks great in your tank. Waiting till I get to use mine :D

Seems like more and more reefers are willing to risk a little, off the beaten paths... to achieve more unique setups... please feature your tank for us to enjoy :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

having a black base look cool. very classic looking with black base and black background :idea:

i believe you are going to use MH light. it shouldn't be a problem. it does provide enough brightness in your tank. hehehe... i was using 3x250W MH last time :upsidedown:

age.png

• SRC Member

Wah Jervis... You beat me to the punch leh and let the cat out of the bag somemore...

Was kinda shocked when dumping the black sand in cos of all the mud. Water all turn brown. Took my RSM about half a day to clear off the mud and I need to wash the filter floss twice.... worried that it might choke.

Still need a few days before I can stock up. Need to add live rocks and test water first.

Will start a new tank thread soon, then we can compare the effects of the sand.

• SRC Member
That particular diving spot... is it a barren?

yes... u only see pockets of small corals ard.. mostly are black sandy bottom wif rubbish like kettle, drink cans, tyres etc.. but u see lots of amazing stuff.. alot of macro a photographic haven..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
I'll take a full tank shot tomorrow... but it will take a bit of getting use to... too use to whitish substrate :paiseh:

Very nice dark substrate.. ;)

Just to share: I am using the same kind of Artificial Rock in one of my tank (8+ months)... Great stuff...just need to observe a short moment PO4(1~2 week) spike.. It will looks good after its start to build-up ...my mandarin love the environment now.. :wub::) ...

Very nice dark substrate.. ;)

Just to share: I am using the same kind of Artificial Rock in one of my tank (8+ months)... Great stuff...just need to observe a short moment PO4(1~2 week) spike.. It will looks good after its start to build-up ...my mandarin love the environment now.. :wub::) ...

Thanks for the information bro... that's why I will start to run some PO4 remover while cycling. Perhaps next week. Any idea how much the PO4 spiked in your tank?

having a black base look cool. very classic looking with black base and black background :idea:

i believe you are going to use MH light. it shouldn't be a problem. it does provide enough brightness in your tank. hehehe... i was using 3x250W MH last time :upsidedown:

Thanks bro... yupe gonna use MH this time round.

Here's a closer look at my artificial rock and black live sand... this 1.5ft long bridge is the main feature :) My current lighting sucks <_<

040103.jpg

My temporary lighting... came together with my previous 2ft Juwel tank :D

010107.jpg

• SRC Member
Thanks for the information bro... that's why I will start to run some PO4 remover while cycling. Perhaps next week. Any idea how much the PO4 spiked in your tank?

Sorry..unable to recall as it happen during my bynosis outbreak :( ...fortunately, with chaeto and help of my YT :pirate: ..

.the PREDATOR won (those alien is gone after two~four week break only)

Sorry..unable to recall as it happen during my bynosis outbreak :( ...fortunately, with chaeto and help of my YT :pirate: ..

.the PREDATOR won (those alien is gone after two~four week break only)

Ok I will monitor my PO4 level closely for the coming weeks :thanks:

Here's a preliminary FTS of my tank... cycling day 2... a Tunze Wavebox is hidden on the left side towards the back... the black thing on the right side is a temporary filter :)

040104.jpg

Although quite busy at work today... still manage to add the Tunze Wavebox... newest version (improved)... starting to miss the classic aluminium driver :rolleyes:

040102.jpg

I like Aquamarin's warranty label with indication of month/year of purchase... makes it so much easier to keep track of things :D

Hoping that a single Tunze Wavebox (maximum 30W) can keep my LPS and softies happy... will monitor the wave effect in the coming days... if needed can add another Wavebox (extension).

th_MOV07151.jpg

th_MOV07111.jpg

Why not using your Vortech with their new controller? I found that their controller has more control options compared to Tunze

Well... after what happened to all my 3 Vortechs... I seriously don't have the faith anymore... sorry :unsure:

Nice scaping..:wub:.. I like the "bridge"....

Thanks bro... yeah I like it very much too :D

• SRC Member
Thanks bro... yeah I like it very much too :D

The scape got a feel of the second link bridge. Soon many corals would be landed up there :rolleyes: More rooms for fishes to swim abt too. Jervis, the right rock scape seems to have some part almost reaching the top ... might be difficult to have corals high up there

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

The scape got a feel of the second link bridge. Soon many corals would be landed up there :rolleyes: More rooms for fishes to swim abt too. Jervis, the right rock scape seems to have some part almost reaching the top ... might be difficult to have corals high up there

Yeah I find the right side a little high... but again I will try not to overstock the tank... gotto be true to its "sustainable" concept... and I can't possibly achieve that with a overloaded tank :)

Here are some drawings for my lighting... I've passed it to Aquamarin a couple of days ago... but I am still considering whether to use MH or T5 :pinch: So will hold it for a day or two :( What you guys think?

010109.jpg

The thing is... with MH... I will not be able to reach my goal of halving my carbon footprint :( Now I know how it feels for countries to volunteer their own carbon emission limit :pinch:

Let me share with you guys...

My previous setup consumed 757.8 kW (757800W) per month. Largest contributor being my Artica 1/3hp (840W) that ran approximated 10 hours a day (temp range 25ºC to 26.5ºC) amounting to 252 kW/month.

So my aim is to cut that to half... not exceeding 378.9 kW/month.

To put that in perspective, if Singapore is to produce electricity using coal, my old setup would've released approximately 750 kg worth of green house gas into the atmosphere (that's 9 ton a year) <_< Luckily Singapore relies on cleaner ways of producing electricity... but nevertheless the truth is still mind boggling :eyeblur:

i think the best is to run the compressor solution instead of using Artica

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W