Jervis' Reefing Renaissance

jervismun

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bro Jevismun,

I think there is a typo or my eyes see wrongly..at your new tank column - ehiem 1250 usage "hour per day" is 240?? :shock:

I think your total usage in $$$ will greatly reduce.. :peace:

Yeah type... should be 24 hours/day... the monthly figure is correct :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

$110 cheaper electricity bill bloody well done liao lah but i think u gotta stop buying equipment sooner or later or the costs of the equipment kindof offsets ur savings in my humble opinion.

Yupe agree totally... making our system more efficient is a good thing... but in the process waste resources too... will have to strike a balance there I suppose :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Beginning to spot a small amount of diatom on the sand bed... that's with close scrutiny... the black sand helps in concealing the ugly things :rolleyes:

post-6096-1200758786.jpg

Glad to announce that my Calcium Reactor has kicked in beautifully... here are some readings:

Day 1 - Tuesday

kH: 10 dkH

pH: 8.0

Ca: 410 ppm

Mg: 1320 ppm

Day 6 - Sunday

kH: 12.5 dkH

pH: 7.9

Ca: 430 ppm

Mg: 1350 ppm

A sharp rise in kH, Ca and Mg within a short period of time... the tuning is probably more suitable for a tank full of LPS. With only a few pieces of LPS in the tank right now, I have tuned the CR to reduce its effectiveness. Will continue to monitor it :)

A closer look at my odd light combo :pinch: I just realized today that the ATI PM cooling fans also cools my MH :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

The ATI PM cooling fans will draw air from the top, cool the ballasts and tubes and release the warm air through the four holes on the side of the fixture :whistle

post-6096-1200831833.jpg

Fed all my corals today with frozen brine shrimps... here's a closer look at my greedy Whiskers :shock:

post-6096-1200831979.jpg

Can't keep them alive long enough for my experience. Have avoided this species completely. Need mature sandbed to survive I guess.

Yeah... perhaps the Live Sand is not sufficiently matured :(

Quite pleased with the Goniopora extension despite the constant pounding of my Tunze Wavebox (about 2.5ft away). Goniopora is one of few LPS that can withstand this (I think). Let's continue to monitor it for another weeek.

th_MOV07822.jpg

Bloated Orange Plate (right after feeding) dancing under the moon :rolleyes:

th_MOV07824.jpg

Ur volcano plate seems like anytime gonna "PUI" something outta his mouth :pinch::P

I hope it's not milk :sick: :sick: :sick: Any kids around? :angel:

• SRC Member
Bad news! The larger Two Spot Goby is MIA the whole day :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: Very sad :cry:

Expected.... They are not easy fish to keep. I have 1 managed to survive for more than 4mths. Then it just MIA after i introduce new fishes in. The key to keep them is to have a mature sand bed with organism. Not with new sand bed. They never learn to eat other than the sand.

Expected.... They are not easy fish to keep. I have 1 managed to survive for more than 4mths. Then it just MIA after i introduce new fishes in. The key to keep them is to have a mature sand bed with organism. Not with new sand bed. They never learn to eat other than the sand.

I didn't know they have such bad track record... will never attempt this species again :(

• SRC Member
I didn't know they have such bad track record... will never attempt this species again :(

Oh no... I bought the same fish thinking that he could clean up my sand bed... :unsure:

He seems fine so far, making "waves" in my sand bed, and covering my rics with sand everytime he digs trenches. :angry:

Btw, awesome thread Jevis! Always looking forward to your interesting posts. :bow:

Went Coral Farm this morning (got wind of special shipment from Australia)

Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish

Bought 4 cute specimens as I wanna witness them form a small school :)

Extracted from www.liveaquaria.com

It can be found individually, or more commonly, in pairs or small groups within the same anemone such as Heteractis magnifica or Stichodactyla mertensii. These tank bred clownfish grow to a maximum size of 3 inches in the aquarium, and may be kept singly or in groups.

post-6096-1201003703.jpg

Come on big guys... give the little guys a break will ya? :lol:

post-6096-1201003923.jpg

Unique patterns :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

post-6096-1201004062.jpg

Another great discovery... baby Maximas :whistle :whistle :whistle

Seen here during 15 min acclimatization :)

post-6096-1201010011.jpg

To achieve a more natural look (and easier to move around)... I've decided to stick the 3 baby clams onto a small piece of artificial rock... I performed the "surgery" inside this black pail filled with tank water :rolleyes:

post-6096-1201010164.jpg