tell me about those professional cameras

ai[k²]wan

• SRC Member

hey,

i was playing with some canon eos camera , my aunt's one for the first time, not digital one. its cool man, focus so easy to adjust, turn the thing can liao. then zoom turn the thing also. got af also. then i was thinking digital one i rarely see those turnable stuff on lens how to adjust focus. i wanna know b4 i look for my dream cam.

what is your budget? getting a Canon SLR or a Nikon SLR opens you up to the endless possiblity of expanding your lens library, hardware library and what have you. getting smaller brands like Pentax and Minolta...well. you'll have to rely on third party brands. not saying they are bad. I for one am using a Tokina F2.4 lens. gives me a super sharp image when compared to a Canon F2.0. both fixed apperture.

you were probably playing with an entry level EOS. film one. if I were you, I'll save up money and get an entry level digital camera. no need for SLR. SLR just gives you the total control as to the lens, and what have you.

at the end of the day. this is what my boss told me. its not the camera that matters but the man behind the camera. I'm not saying you're lousy or what, but no point investing in something so expensive just to take fishes.

let me know if you need help.

I have read from several reviews that the Olympus E1 is just amazing. easy enuff for newbie to use and powerful/flexible enuff for pros.

oh that camera. I will never put my money on an Olympus. I don't know why. maybe its the lens quality. pretty suspect towards it. I don't mind paying for Hassleblads as they use Carl Zeiss lens. or Contax. even some Sony models uses Carl Zeiss lenses.

Canon optics and Nikon optics are pretty decent too.

I may be wrong. so Olympus users please don't kill me.

but the good thing about this camera is the fact that aspect ratio compensation has been factored into the construction of this camera. as such, you can only get its own zuiko lenses and not third party lenses for the time being.

unlike other SLRS that allow you to get third party lenses. just that you must factor in a multiplication factor of 1.6x if I'm not wrong. forgot the calculations already.

• SRC Member

aik: my advice is do your research very very thoroughly before commiting, cuz whatever you buy as starters will affect your future buys and options, and in photography everything is damn ex. there are digicams non-SLR with more advanced features like manual focusing, etc, fuji new one donno wat S602Z 2nd version is one cam you can check out. but firstly decide whether you want digital or film, that's the biggest qn. both got pros and cons. then if you choose digital, you must choose according to budget, don't bother with what features you want yet. then based on budget, see whats the best you can get.

if you want film, then get a good SLR body, don't skimp on body. get good functions, good AF speed, exposure accuracy. first choose what brand you want, each brand got pros and cons, and I use minolta cuz its the most value for money for camera bodies. remember every brand got good lens to choose from, basically what you pay is what you get. lastly with camera body in hand, buy good lens.

• SRC Member

hardcore photography is another hobby that requires a very deep pocket. So think abt it first.

Of cos', you can build up slowly. It can range from startup cost of $1000 - $3000. Depending on whether you want to go digital or film.

Then there are the lens. Depdning on what you shootin, you will need to buy lens. The lens that comes with it normally a 28-80/90 can't really make it. I call it the party lens.

Then there are prime and zoom lens. Prime lens cost much more. There are 3rd party lens other than OEM C o N. Thosee are pretty resaonable price, but you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

You will need a good tripod, a light carbon fibre one can cost you abt $800-$1000. The exclude the ballhead which cost another $800.

Not forgetting the various bags, films, memory cards, batteries etc.

Film based camera, you will need to spend money on negatives or slides and processing. Slides processing is cheaper compared to negatives whereby you have to pay for the papers, unless u scan them using a film scanner.

Digital ones, you will have to get memory card and extra batteries.

Tho' both C and N built their lens interchangeable with film and digital SLRs. Some lens are built specifically for digital. Eg the 16mm wide angle is built for digital because of the 1.6x multiplier effect of the sensor. Which doesn't provide the desired wide angle.

Then there are features of more expensive lens. like the IS and VR features.

I could go on and on. Bottom line. Think first. You are getting yourself into another bottomless pit. :)

It doesn't end in just getting a body and lens and buying some films or memory cards. Thats only the beginning. ;)

If you have interest in taking up photography,you can start with something very basics and expand as you go along.

Get a reasonable good body,do not get one that is everything automatic,get one where you can select,auto or manual or semi auto control.

Anyway to learn you need to go manual,you don't learn anything if you go on auto all the time.

You can get a reasonable good body around S$1000-S$2000

Next get one or two good lens.Get one with a F2.8 if you can afford.Normally more expensive but it open up opportuntity for you when you require that extra stop.A Fstop of 3plus is also acceptable

Today zoom lens quality are reasonably good.So you can invest in them.If you do a lot of landscape, a 17-35 is a good lens to have.

If you like to do general photography, 28-135 is a good zoom.

Another good zoom is 100-400 lens.

With the above 3 lens on hand you can do about 90% of all photography you want.

Regards n Cheers

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016