Liverocks turn black

dachkie

• SRC Member

Hi guys, yesterday the unfortunate happened, my 3.5ft old tank flooded as there was a power trip caused by my refugium t5 light, and my chiller was using a gravity feed so all 400l of water flooded the whole house , then as i was trying to save the LS and LR and transfering to my new 5ft i notice some of the LR have black areas, usually places where it was stack and covered by other rocks, what is this black stuff? should i keep these rocks or dump them? not the entire rock black but just small parts of it, by the way these rocks were initially dead rocks from yrs ago and has been running in my 3.5ft for 4 months since i came back into the hobby

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

OMG....bet you have hard time clearing and saving your LS. Hope everything is fine by now. Can remove the black stuff? Need more experience reefers to advice liao...

Hi guys, yesterday the unfortunate happened, my 3.5ft old tank flooded as there was a power trip caused by my refugium t5 light, and my chiller was using a gravity feed so all 400l of water flooded the whole house , then as i was trying to save the LS and LR and transfering to my new 5ft i notice some of the LR have black areas, usually places where it was stack and covered by other rocks, what is this black stuff? should i keep these rocks or dump them? not the entire rock black but just small parts of it, by the way these rocks were initially dead rocks from yrs ago and has been running in my 3.5ft for 4 months since i came back into the hobby

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

ya, managed to save all my corals, but lost 2 of my mandarin, 1 neon dottyback, 1 firefish, 1 banded brittlestar, a few nasa snails, 2 yasha gobies and shrimp combo and lastly my priced all 8 clapping shrimps.

what i learn from this is never assume the worst wont happen, infact my gravity feed chiller was to be there for just another 2 weeks then , i will start transfering to the new 5ft, but just too bad, lucky now my new tank is a flood proof tank, maximum flood the tank will ever see is 20l of water, all safety checks from sump to tank already in place

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

Suggest you do the sniff test on the black patches on the LR.

Could be die-off and your ammonia, nitrites could shoot off the scale and kill your livestock.

You have to cure them seperately again.

• SRC Member
Suggest you do the sniff test on the black patches on the LR.

Could be die-off and your ammonia, nitrites could shoot off the scale and kill your livestock.

You have to cure them seperately again.

ok i just did a search on google, limited info but there is one that says to clean this black stuff off asap as they are dying organisms, if not they will turn the water turgid, bingo on AT's answer thats y AT is DA MAN

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

• SRC Member

a pictures tell a thousand words....

let us see those black black things..... so at least we know in future...:D

maybe next time...try to put all corals and fishes into a tub...before going in the new tank....

• Sponsor

Hi dachkie,

Those black patches are the result of anaerobic bacteria activity.

This happen as the rocks are stacked close together with minimal water circulating through, creating a low oxygen zone.

In such environment, the oxygen level between rock contacts ranges from very low to zero O2 which favors anaerobic bacteria growth.

Try taking a light sniff and you'll probably faint :sick: That rotten egg smell is hydrogen sulphide.

You can get rid of the foul smell fairly quickly by giving it a quick brush under running tap water followed by a saltwater rinse before placing them into your **5footer. The darkened area will take quite a long while to clear off.

**That's assuming your 5 footer already cycled, else do the curing elsewhere

Ensure you have very good water movement circulating the rocks and give a good dose of microorganism.

have fun :)

SIGNATURE-Asta120SpirulinaGarlicReefMedi

Join us on Facebook! 

henry'sreefgourmet - your fish, corals and critters will love it!

Goodbye!PO4 - your simple, highly effective and low cost method to phosphate control

354 Clementi Avenue 2
#01-203
Singapore 120354

Tel : 6777 4047
Mobile : 9843 6032

Operating Hours:
Mondays : 3pm - 8pm
Tues - Sat : 12.30pm - 8pm

Sundays : Closed

Closed on the following Public Holidays : New Year, CNY, Labour Day, National Day & Christmas

• SRC Member
Hi dachkie,

This happen as the rocks are stacked close together with minimal water circulating through, creating a low oxygen zone.

In such environment, the oxygen level between rock contacts ranges from very low to zero O2 which favors anaerobic bacteria growth.

Try taking a light sniff and you'll probably faint :sick: That rotten egg smell is hydrogen sulphide.

You can get rid of the foul smell fairly quickly by giving it a quick brush under running tap water followed by a saltwater rinse before placing them into your **5footer. The darkened area will take quite a long while to clear off.

Ensure you have very good water movement circulating the rocks and give a good dose of microorganism.

thanks guys, but as i am leaving for kl and no time to watch the tank, i decided to remove those rocks that have black patches instead, rather then risk it

henry next month gonna have to go ur place get some more probotics to dose, luckily i still had 1 last packet from the last time, so i used it on my 5ft to aid in cycling

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

• 5 weeks later...
Hi dachkie,

Dachkie,

Hope you don't mind me intercepting your thread. Just wish to learn something.

Can I ask if these anaerobic bacteria aid in the removal of nitrate? Cos I thought I read somewhere that those bacteria that convert nitrate to other less harmful stuffs are anaerobic but I wonder if they belong to the same group.