OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

yes it does!

there's a whitecap goby in the same photo too.

both are black with a white cap from the head to tail dorsally.

but cryptocentrus is longer in shape and is the same genus as the yellow watchman goby

I'm actually thinking if i should get a white cap goby for my tank. Well whats the cool goby pair you have thats swims upside down?

• Senior Reefer

I'm actually thinking if i should get a white cap goby for my tank. Well whats the cool goby pair you have thats swims upside down?

priolepis nocturna.

some call it white tiger, full moon, nocturnal goby.

post-15755-0-01005800-1316882312_thumb.j

• SRC Member
  • Senior Reefer

Dr. Tanaka lives in miyazaki, and these are some of the fishes that can be easily caught from the surrounding waters.

a juvenile blueline angel and a wiebeli butterflyfish.

the wiebeli butterfly lives in deeper water and was caught with a line and hook.

the juvenile blueline, only a small hand net near the surface!

other interesting fishes that live near the surface in waters of miyazaki includes the very nice Meiacanthus kamoharai!

post-15755-0-48891500-1316950447_thumb.j

post-15755-0-87831400-1316950452_thumb.j

Dr. Tanaka lives in miyazaki, and these are some of the fishes that can be easily caught from the surrounding waters.

a juvenile blueline angel and a wiebeli butterflyfish.

the wiebeli butterfly lives in deeper water and was caught with a line and hook.

the juvenile blueline, only a small hand net near the surface!

other interesting fishes that live near the surface in waters of miyazaki includes the very nice Meiacanthus kamoharai!

Maybe one day i will visit Miyazaki and bring back a kamoharai. Not that difficult or impossible i feel.

i want this book.

it features rare fishes in the area such as this litus butterfly!

I WANT TO SEE THAT BOOK TOO. Ask CF to order. Then i can go there and browse.

Hotumatua, feminus, litus and many others that we do not know of....

• Senior Reefer

Maybe one day i will visit Miyazaki and bring back a kamoharai. Not that difficult or impossible i feel.

I WANT TO SEE THAT BOOK TOO. Ask CF to order. Then i can go there and browse.

Hotumatua, feminus, litus and many others that we do not know of....

the mega amazing and my personal favourite, smithi butterfly has also been photographed in easter island too!

but they are mainly found in pitcairn and rapa.

here's one photographed by tanaka in japan.

as far as i know, only 8 were caught for studies. 3 were sent to japan, and one to waikiki. the rest, i'm not sure.

post-15755-0-21308500-1316958184_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

i'm a huge fan of luiz rocha and i admire his expertise and knowledge in fish as well as his capabilities to analyse them to the genetic level.

and not to mention a big fan of his amazing photography.

here's an endemic Larabicus quadrilineatus cleaner from the red sea.

post-15755-0-14788000-1316958301_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

asfur angels and mesoleucus butterflies are some of my favourite exports from the red sea.

although very common, there's something about the asfur angel that always captivates me! i really like the fish alot, but am still waiting to chance upon one that is slightly more special, in terms of aberrations.

mesoleucus butterflies have always been a rare fish here in singapore, but very common elsewhere like hong kong. i've kept them once before. very easy but abit aggressive. adult mesoleucus butterflies develop a gorgeous teal like colouration at the anterior part where it overlaps on the brown. but of course, the amazing colouration is best observed in wild specimens.

post-15755-0-87884800-1316958389_thumb.j

post-15755-0-67516300-1316958394_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

and now my personal favourite butterfly fish from the red sea.

the paucifasciatus butterfly. the rarest and most beautiful of the "xanthurus complex".

i think they used to be quite abundant many years ago but recently, they are not appearing in anything more than a handful worldwide.

i had the joy to keep a pair recently but they died months after from a bacterial infection.

the first two photos by luiz rocha, and the last picture of mine back when i was still writing for glassbox-design.

post-15755-0-96595200-1316958482_thumb.j

post-15755-0-25569600-1316958501_thumb.j

post-15755-0-18364400-1316958609_thumb.j

i'm a huge fan of luiz rocha and i admire his expertise and knowledge in fish as well as his capabilities to analyse them to the genetic level.

and not to mention a big fan of his amazing photography.

here's an endemic Larabicus quadrilineatus cleaner from the red sea.

This is a fish that we never get. I've posted a youtube vid of a fairy wrasse tank with this quadrilineatus cleaner somewhere in this thread before.

But i read this cleaner wrasse is like any other cleaner wrasse, almost impossible to keep alive long term. So in a way lucky that we are not seeing it in our redsea shipment.

asfur angels and mesoleucus butterflies are some of my favourite exports from the red sea.

although very common, there's something about the asfur angel that always captivates me! i really like the fish alot, but am still waiting to chance upon one that is slightly more special, in terms of aberrations.

mesoleucus butterflies have always been a rare fish here in singapore, but very common elsewhere like hong kong. i've kept them once before. very easy but abit aggressive. adult mesoleucus butterflies develop a gorgeous teal like colouration at the anterior part where it overlaps on the brown. but of course, the amazing colouration is best observed in wild specimens.

I also like asfur angels. But like u i'm also waiting for one with some special characteristics to show up!

Mesoleucos is one of the most unique looking butterfly. But it loses shine when placed side by side the other rarer redsea endemic, the paucifasciatus butterfly.

and now my personal favourite butterfly fish from the red sea.

the paucifasciatus butterfly. the rarest and most beautiful of the "xanthurus complex".

i think they used to be quite abundant many years ago but recently, they are not appearing in anything more than a handful worldwide.

i had the joy to keep a pair recently but they died months after from a bacterial infection.

the first two photos by luiz rocha, and the last picture of mine back when i was still writing for glassbox-design.

i owned the only export stations in the 80'in the Red Sea. The C. paucifasciatus is nowhere common ,yet on several place easier to be found.They even occur in one meter deep along the shore among rock.

• Senior Reefer

i owned the only export stations in the 80'in the Red Sea. The C. paucifasciatus is nowhere common ,yet on several place easier to be found.They even occur in one meter deep along the shore among rock.

that must've been awesome.

what happened to that station now? it's a shame you're not doing exports from red sea anymore, because there's alot of demand for certain fishes from that area such as paucifasciatus, mesoleucus, octotaenia flasher wrasses, red sea regals etc.

we only get the standard 5 that come in from the area. asfur, maculosus, sohal, semilarvatus and purple tangs.

paucifasciatus used to be quite readily available i think about a decad or moree back, but now they are almost non existant world wide. i got my pair from dejong marine but they sadly did not make it after a few months.

i've seen videos of them swimming in pairs near the surface before and they are really, one of my favourite butterflies.

• Senior Reefer

is it normally imported to singapore? Hopefully when go to singapore within the year, i can get hold of them. I want to buy a pair.

how much where you able to get them?

it is not common, but not rare either.

they appear sporadically in small numbers. they are not expensive, ranging from $10-$20+ depending on where you buy them.