3ft Marine Tank Set up (Super Newbie)

I have decided that i want to set up a marine tank.

The extra 3ft tank in my home is just sitting there.. empty

ItHasBegun.jpg

It has an overflow filteration compartment on the right side that looks like this.

filtermock.jpg

So i've been asking around on what I need to do first..

Have a friend who's been really helpful.

Being a Super newbie, I've read up alot though.

about the live rock, lighting, livestock etc

I just don't know where to begin.

I've kept freshwater tanks for 7 years now..

But when it comes to marine.. whole new ball game..

What are the things that I need to start?

anyone out there who is willing to give me any help?

It will be greatly appreciated.

FOWLR Tank : Decom

Invert Tank: Decom

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly

Welcome bro. The setting seems ok. U may wish to consider including one FR, chiller and lightset. Depending what u want, maybe it good for you to tell us yr intention before we can really advice. It can be "SIMPLE" setup and escalate to complex setting. Also, u need to consider the equipment size and placement. If yr sump is too small, see whether can go for external placement and that is provided yr cabinet allows it. Where do u stay, maybe can go farm and from there, u can understand more.

Me newbie also. So my advice can only act as reference. Happy reefing.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Share with us. Its going to be a fish only tank or reef tank?

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

Solo77 : Hey dude... Well i'm planning for something that will look good on the long run. I'm quite patient when it come to setting up of tank.. you know like waiting for plants to grow in etc...

Nothing too Fancy...

tiffanydunk : The thickness is 18 inches. or 45.5cm

Morpheous : Reef Tank bro.

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly

I purchased the following yesterday

Orca Protien Skimmer

Reefmax Salt

A water Purifier.

Glass SG meter

Filled up my tank..

Set up the Powerhead.. you know.. to help circulate the water and dissolve the salt..

Got the salinity right.

Placed the Skimmer in the First compartment. It could fit in the second part, it fit perfectly but I could not place it in a way where I can place the cup on properly.

Next step

Purchase

Filter media

A good T5 lightset

some live rock and live sand

A wave maker

A fan

Pics..

TankFront.jpg

TankSide.jpg

Next step

tiffanydunk : The thickness is 18 inches. or 45.5cm

Thickness 18" ??? tiffanydunk meant what is the thickness of the glass not the width of the tank <_< !

For 3ft tank...ideally the thickness is 10mm but 8mm is still ok la :evil: .

Morpheous : Reef Tank bro

IMHO, the lightset and skimmer are not able to sustain coral growth so do not jump into SPS. My suggestion is to try FOWLR 1st then slowly upgrade your equipment such lighting, skimmer, FR and add in wave maker :whistle .

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

I guess you could get stuff like Bali Stars, Mushrooms, and zooanthids - the Java Ferns and Nanas of the coral world lol. My tank is only up and running for 4 months and I still don't dare progress to the soft corals for fear of massive money-burnage. :(

that tank above...

Broke mysteriously...

new tank image here...

few more days to buying more equipment and live rock.

NewTank.jpg

The skimmer fit perfectly in this tank...

SkimmerFit.jpg

I poured the water that I had saved back in... since it was in buckets for sooo long.. alot of dust and hair was in it..

All filtered out within 2 hours.

The water is Crystal now..

yeah a few have said that... I don't know yet.... there's nothing living in the tank now... I'll have to upgrade it eventually.

Need the cash to get some other stuff first.

I believe 4 months is ok to add some soft coral. The cycling of water should be ok by now.

I introduce some soft coral into my tank after 2 month plus. Until now, they are still ok.

just my 2cts, add 1 by 1 (weeks after weeks) and monitor. Patience....

I guess you could get stuff like Bali Stars, Mushrooms, and zooanthids - the Java Ferns and Nanas of the coral world lol. My tank is only up and running for 4 months and I still don't dare progress to the soft corals for fear of massive money-burnage. :(

Got some Live Rock today... really nice looking pieces...

unfortunately, the one on the right is kinda out of place.

I may break it into 3 seperate pieces.

NewTankwithLR.jpg

• SRC Member

The skimmer i would recommend a cheap one like Reef octopus skimmer.Go to this web http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail...id='94' is just my opinion.Any other bros might suggest a better.

Or you may try this http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail...d='848' but is pretty troublesome cause need to clean when the water isn't running anymore which everytime i did.

Oh btw the 2 skimmers you need to adjust the water flow.Don't end up like me i didn't adjust and the bubbles just kept overflowing and voila!In the morning the whole floor is wet and my mum nags a lot cause the early morning newspaper and my school shoes are wet.

Anyway what is the glass thickness now?My 3ft is about 0.7cm.

Just my 2 cents :)

girlone.png