Dusty water? Please share

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Anyone have this problem? My tank water looks "dusty", like have alot of very very small particles floating around the water... making it look very cloudy. My equipment inside my tank, like my magnetic glass cleaner, and thermometer, will always have this very fine layer of dust on it, even though its INSIDE the water!!

I dunno what is causing this. Only recently started happening. My protein skimmer is on 24/7 and this problem never happen before. At first i thought it was my sand sifter goby, always stirring the sand. But the goby so small, and it only eat one mouth of sand, and sift, then spit out. I do not think it is sufficient enough to cause the whole tank to be so cloudy. Then i thought it was my yellow wrasse, everytime dig the sand when it scared. It will stir up a cloud of dust and sand, but it will fade away very soon. so i dont think its the both of them. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Sometimes so severe until the surface of water covered in a film of dust particles/sand particles... very fine like cloudy water.

I tried water change, 10% but no use. help pls? anyone? I do not think it is an ammonia spike/nitrite spike that is causing the cloudyness, as everything in my tank is doing very well. Corals opening, and fishes actively eating. It doesnt affect my tank from what i observe, but it just looks unsightly..

• SRC Member

Do u use FR with those anti-phosphate stuff eg phosban, rowaphos etc etc etc... Chk n see if the pump flow is too strong for the FR that the particles come out of the FR and gets pump into yr tank. Hv happen in my sump b4.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• Senior Reefer
Do u use FR with those anti-phosphate stuff eg phosban, rowaphos etc etc etc... Chk n see if the pump flow is too strong for the FR that the particles come out of the FR and gets pump into yr tank. Hv happen in my sump b4.

i dont have a FR... i dunno why its so murky. Everything is fine and healthy though, it just makes my tank look ugly

• SRC Member
i dont have a FR... i dunno why its so murky. Everything is fine and healthy though, it just makes my tank look ugly

1. When u collect a sample of your water, is it clear in colour or greenish? If it is gleenish, means u gana green algae bloom. Jialak, coz that means a lot of waste or dead organisms causing all these. I suggest you test yr nitrate level.

2. When you change yr waters, siphon the sand bed. I suspect a lot of dirt accumulated on yr sand bed.

Best you post some pics to let us see how bad yr situation.

l7304smr.jpg

• Senior Reefer

It is not microbubble. the dust will settle down on my rocks and my equipment. when i turn on wavemaker, or when fish swim past, will turn into a cloud... It is not algae bloom. the water is not green. i have chaeto growing in my sump, so nitrate levels should be moderate. I did 50% water change and rescaped my tank..... water now very cloudy. will wait a few hours to see if improve

• SRC Member
It is not microbubble. the dust will settle down on my rocks and my equipment. when i turn on wavemaker, or when fish swim past, will turn into a cloud... It is not algae bloom. the water is not green. i have chaeto growing in my sump, so nitrate levels should be moderate. I did 50% water change and rescaped my tank..... water now very cloudy. will wait a few hours to see if improve

In that case, its the detritus. Its ok la...probably some dead spots so accumulate there.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Anyone have this problem? My tank water looks "dusty", like have alot of very very small particles floating around the water... making it look very cloudy. My equipment inside my tank, like my magnetic glass cleaner, and thermometer, will always have this very fine layer of dust on it, even though its INSIDE the water!!

I dunno what is causing this. Only recently started happening. My protein skimmer is on 24/7 and this problem never happen before. At first i thought it was my sand sifter goby, always stirring the sand. But the goby so small, and it only eat one mouth of sand, and sift, then spit out. I do not think it is sufficient enough to cause the whole tank to be so cloudy. Then i thought it was my yellow wrasse, everytime dig the sand when it scared. It will stir up a cloud of dust and sand, but it will fade away very soon. so i dont think its the both of them. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Sometimes so severe until the surface of water covered in a film of dust particles/sand particles... very fine like cloudy water.

I tried water change, 10% but no use. help pls? anyone? I do not think it is an ammonia spike/nitrite spike that is causing the cloudyness, as everything in my tank is doing very well. Corals opening, and fishes actively eating. It doesnt affect my tank from what i observe, but it just looks unsightly..

did u change ur carbon aft 3 months?

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

Does the dust settle on your class? can you check your pH, kH to make sure they're at good levels? it might be calcium precipitating out causing the 'dustiness'

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• Senior Reefer
Does the dust settle on your class? can you check your pH, kH to make sure they're at good levels? it might be calcium precipitating out causing the 'dustiness'

could it be a bacteria bloom? i really hate this. my tank used to be crystal clear. CRYSTAL! clear! now... its so.... UGLYYYY

• Senior Reefer
maybe your snail is spawning. I have exiperiment in my tank before. saw my snail giving out `smoke`and cloud the whloe tank.

u mean the snail can cloud the whole tank for 3 days in a row?? so powerful!? the snail? and wont this spawn thing pollute my water...? as they are essentially proteins. even with overflow and sump and protein skimmer, this dirty water doesnt seem to clear leh. its really annoying me

• Senior Reefer
Sounds like bacteria bloom to me.

At first i thought was bacteria bloom also, but i ask henry from ML, he told me bac bloom wont leave residue on my equipment. So i dunno what is the problem liao lols

• SRC Member

If your goby is diamond spotted sand sifter goby, he might be the root cause. This is one hard working fellow.

What is the size of your substrate?

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

I am encountering this problem. Dunno why my tanks is so dusty with grey dust like particles. It usually settle on the surface but if there is movement from the wavemaker or fishes swimming over stirring it, the particles will disperse and creating the tanks to look dusty. How to remove it? I also dunno cos I dont think i have so many dead spot as i have 3 wavemakers in a 3 ft tanks!

• 2 months later...