DIY computers

junyong84

• SRC Member

Hey guys...me thinkin of DIY a mini CPU so that i can put under my desk in my room..

Anyone DIY in Sim Lim b4??? care to recommend which shop sell hardwares that are cheap and...the shop itself is reliable too..

or someone here...dun mind helpin me out in fixin a comp??? ;)

• SRC Member

If it is a brand new computer, I think it will be better to get it off the shelf and buy reliable brand. It comes with warranty.

You must be familiar with computer parts to buy at Sim Lim square. Otherwise, if your computer encounter problem, there is no one to help you.

• SRC Member

There are many shops in sim lim. Its better if you take a person who knows sim lim shops pretty well. Have experience in buying DIY PC. Me always go to costronic. But some say their service not good. I am buying from them for the last 4 yrs. Even for office we buy from them.

If you newbie, dont know anything about hardware parts better buy a branded PC. Nowadays dell computer ,we can get for less than 1000 dollars.

but $800 is abit tight. actually not to be afraid. u go to the shops get all the leaflets, source thru all the configuration, then go to the shop that offer u (to the tune of $800) the best CPU, RAM, harddisk, graphics card, sound card, get that one loh.

• SRC Member

I just upgraded my comp at Bell, good shop, gd price and nice sincere chaps, some shops have really jialat fellas. best is to look arnd and ask lots and lots of questions when you are newbie to the latest technology, from bits and pieces here and there you can learn what's the latest, which shop is lying, and which parts are the best.

btw 800 bucks won't get you the top of the range but a decent 2.4 ghz celeron setup. you want good graphics, extra RAM, better CPU, easily 1.2K above

• SRC Member

LAst thing u shoudl ever do is buy a branded PC. horrible and totally non versatile. My friends Acer . cant change this cant change that. At least mine Built myself i know what everything inside. curerntly living in a thermaltake casing. another + point. with tons of red LED fans and blue cold cathod tubes

• SRC Member

I think cybermind not bad...just like terrysimon has mentioned...

i bought 3 computers with them over the last 2 yrs...and my friends also buy from them..

check them out...prices shld be quite competitive...

NEC have one offer, $799, "CPU" only. pretty oki if u want branded, then u get CRT from them also can, if not spend abt $250 for a 17" CRT.

hie bwilly,

i'm intending to get a computer for my dad ..

pent 4 at least 2.4 ghz..

the want u mention sounds good.. do you have more details on this or can you kindly advise me where i can find more info on this offer?

thanks alot. :rolleyes:

Hi guys, guess what? :cry:

I came back and I tried turning on my PC and it won't even boot. I think either my mobo's fried or my CPU, my RAM or my graphics card.

I can't test because I don't have any extra's lying around!!! DAMN!!!

I have been using my wife's laptop to surf.

Well, it looks like I have to spend money again... man... this month I will be soooo broke!!!

Was thinking of getting a

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (800MHz)

Mainboard: MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R

Memory: 2x 512MB Kingmax SuperRAM DDR433 or maybe Twinmos.

My system should fly... :upsidedown: Any comments?

Will probably go to my fav store - cybermind or does anyone have a better lobang? ;)

Still going to keep my 3 ATA HDs. Maybe will upgrade to a nice SATA one later on. Graphics card will remain a bottleneck for now.. its a Geforce 3 Asus V7700 Pro, card still can handle high res graphics well.

Try www.nec.com.sg

but as mention this kind of branded PC is not upgradable friendly. The slots are little, design purposely make it slimer, cannot add much harddisk n extra CD writer.

AT, your motherboard may have some LEDs indication behind it.

Refer to your manual to see which colour comes on n off. Then u know where the problem lies. If no sound n no music, open up, do a firm press of all the cards, cable, look at power plugs, b4 that ensure your hands are static free, try rubbing your CPU casing to remove some static.

As for PC, I goes for the high end parts n stuffs at cheapest store, then assemble myself.

Or ask the store if I get many parts from one place.

Easily assemble one will be graphics cards and sound card.

Those plug n play kind of stuffs. The harddisk and motherboard

wiring ask the bugger to do for u. N parition the harddisk into

2 sector at least. One for backup purpose.

• SRC Member
me brother doin diy comps.... let me know your spec and i will let him know if he can diy one within your budget.... ;)

hey, i dunno much abt PCs lar..

i wan abt P4 2.4,

mother board, dunno wat brand... wif 4 USB ports

512k DDR Ram

50g or 60g harddrive, not seagate pls!

eh, a good graphic card for games... maybe gforce 4??

i got my own sound card and a drive

eh, a cdrw drive... the fastest in the market..

what else did i miss out??

no need monitor..

i lookin into getting CPU that are abt size of mini hi fi!