Tank looks chalky

• Moderators
Hi added in coral life salt mix yesterday and water is still chalky any reasons for it to be that way?

This is norm for this salt mix. Some tend to stay chalky for several hours.

There are several mix like Tropic Marin Pro, Marine Environment, H2Ocean Pro which clear up much faster.

I can't say which is the best but the above mentioned salts are several of the better salt around.

Tom

Hi added in coral life salt mix yesterday and water is still chalky any reasons for it to be that way?

calcium precipitation...sometime it happen if u add water to salt.... problem will be minimise if u add salt to water

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Thanks guys. So shall i add in live sand first then live rocks to cycle the tank or just live rocks to cycle the tank?

Thanks guys. So shall i add in live sand first then live rocks to cycle the tank or just live rocks to cycle the tank?

Recommended to add both together but remember to put Live Rock in first follow by laying the Live sand :evil: .

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

if add tap water, might have algae issue.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

not true......sometimes i lazy so use tap water for my water changes....i can onli find coraline algea in my main tank...lol.......

I second that.... have never used Distilled or RO, and its still running fine after so many years... (but of coz carbon and phos media is used)

but if there are some water parameters that u want to control or u suspect something is wrong with the tap water, thats a diff story...

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

since u are using marine salf and not nsw, i strongly recommend u dose bacteria. it will help to shorten the cycling time drastically. i used prodibio's biodigest when i started my tank a year ago and it worked for me. i started adding fishes after only 3 days and corals after 5 days. everyone of the ls survived.

and as far as water is concerned, feel free to just use tap water. i tested our tap water before - NO3 and PO4 were both untraceable. i have since been using tap water for my wc everytime but i leave the tap water to stand for at least 3 days before the wc to allow the chlorine to dissipate. for smaller wc, i have no qualms about using our tap water straight and have never experienced any problems.

hope this helps.

since u are using marine salf and not nsw, i strongly recommend u dose bacteria. it will help to shorten the cycling time drastically. i used prodibio's biodigest when i started my tank a year ago and it worked for me. i started adding fishes after only 3 days and corals after 5 days. everyone of the ls survived.

and as far as water is concerned, feel free to just use tap water. i tested our tap water before - NO3 and PO4 were both untraceable. i have since been using tap water for my wc everytime but i leave the tap water to stand for at least 3 days before the wc to allow the chlorine to dissipate. for smaller wc, i have no qualms about using our tap water straight and have never experienced any problems.

hope this helps.

Where can i get this bacteria starter?

Where can i get this bacteria starter?

Thanks guys for all your comments,

Any recommendation for a good algae cleaner? Have some green slimy algae growing on rocks and am cycling them now so wanna get rid of the algae

Hi Eniram,

You can get Bio Digest from Marine Life in Hong Leong Gardens or Petmart in Serangoon North or Pacific Reef in Pasir Ris Farmway 2.

Happy Reefing!

Sam

A-Reef

Thanks sam, so any recommendations to remove green hair algae from rocks?

Am currently using hermit crabs and turbo snails and tank is in its 1st week cycling so can't add algae blenny.