Need some advice here...

• SRC Supporter

Hi Guys,

Noticed that there is a outbreak of aiptasias in my reef so was really thinking of getting a copperband to place in my reef...

Now a few questions....

1) will they go after the polyps of my SPS???

2) what size of copperband should I go for??

3) Besides aiptasias, what else will they consume...??

I'm considering getting one by this weekend.....

Thanks Guys....

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

Noticed that there is a outbreak of aiptasias in my reef so was really thinking of getting a copperband to place in my reef...

Now a few questions....

1) will they go after the polyps of my SPS???

2) what size of copperband should I go for??

3) Besides aiptasias, what else will they consume...??

I'm considering getting one by this weekend.....

Thanks Guys....

CB are good. I got one thye size of 1.8inch(XS). So far my clams, SPS, Xenia has no problem. The fish is living happily without feeding!! Feeding on mature tank LR....worms or whatever..........

DO not get the Racoon Butterfly....... :sick: they will attack anything and tend to be more aggressive on their feeding compare with CB

Max

Hi Joe,

I think there's a fair chance of the copper bands taking a nib at the sps... But then again, I find sometimes it is a matter of luck as well...sometimes, they just don't if they are happier with other food sources. But I've seen/read about some tanks overseas having success in keeping copper bands with corals. how abt burning them with kalk??? or there are just too many aiptasias for this solution?

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• SRC Supporter
Hi Joe,

I think there's a fair chance of the copper bands taking a nib at the sps... But then again, I find sometimes it is a matter of luck as well...sometimes, they just don't if they are happier with other food sources. But I've seen/read about some tanks overseas having success in keeping copper bands with corals. how abt burning them with kalk??? or there are just too many aiptasias for this solution?

worked with kalk... but seems to works only temporarily... :(

• SRC Member

my personal experience is that my CB doesn't even want to smell my aiptasias. kept it alive for only 2 weeks in my previous tank until it passed away, probably due to starvation cos they are picky eaters.

however in your established tank, they could feed on other stuff other than aiptasias so chances of keeping it is better but to solve your aiptasia, it's a hit or miss! probably you'll lose some tube worms as well.

peppermints didn't really like my aiptasias b4 they disappeared, also in my previous tank. i currently have one in my new tank and it's active at night. i have not seen any aiptasias yet in my tank and i'm still praying hard i'll never find any!

I don't think copperbands will nip at corals. Their mouths are adapted to be forcep-like to pick out small organisms between rock crevices. Rather unsuitable for nipping at corals if you ask me.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
I used Joe's Juice to safely kill an aiptasia that was at the extreme edge of the shell of a crocea, under the mantle when expanded. It's a mystery liquid, but it gets high marks from me and others here at RC.

Joe,

u invented the above juice to kill aiptasia ? :eyebrow::P:lol:

The details of the above RC thread http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=275946

• SRC Supporter

Joe,

u invented the above juice to kill aiptasia ? :eyebrow::P:lol:

The details of the above RC thread http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=275946

Hahahaaaa....

Joe's juice.... :P

Reminds me of a joke ..... :eyebrow:

Think I will stick to a CB.....,

But that is after I transfer my acros into my holding tank.... :rolleyes: