Desi & Ketchup 4x2.5x2 tank

desideria

i suggest you release your blackie first. Let them settle down first and find themselve a home. Then release your tomato and RBTA away from them. However, for your RBTA, sad to say, they move and will settle down at their ideal spot. Any change in lighting or current will likely to make them shift again. Tomato is considered more agressive, similar to maroon. I have not kept a tomato clown(but see them in action) but for maroon clown, i find that they like to swim low. For my blackie and true pers, they tend to swim mid to high. However, when i got 3 pairs together, the blackie is the one going round disturbing others. My blackie when saw my maroon, will attempt(acting) to challenge them but later swim off. The maroon clown just hold their ground. I got 3 true pers, 2 being smaller size and were of no threat to them were being ignored. The big one was being chased after and later sold off.

I also wont risk blackie as i find them very nice. If only can keep one, i vote will go to blackie.

Keep us posted.

yeah... the big one with me rite now got partner liao .... :lol:

• SRC Member

Yup we have released the 2 blackies into the tank first since sunday.. they have been swimming around and made friends with the other fish.. it's damn cute when 2 teeny tiny black osci school with the 2 tangs.. LOL Obviously they get left behind! HAHAHAHAH but Ketchup and I feel very heart pain waking up every morning to find them swimming at the fish gathering corner of the tank.. with no host... :P I know it's ALL IN THE MIND cause they can survive but... heh...we will wait patiently for a suitable sized hadonni ... <_<

now we just have to wait a week plus before putting the RBTA and our tomato into the tank and then PRAY the tomato don't whack the 2 black osci since they do not have the protection of an anemonea. :wacko:

BTw, just a question do you guys QT Bartlett Anthias or you just THROW THEM in? :blush:

Cheers,

Desi

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• Senior Reefer
Yup we have released the 2 blackies into the tank first since sunday.. they have been swimming around and made friends with the other fish.. it's damn cute when 2 teeny tiny black osci school with the 2 tangs.. LOL Obviously they get left behind! HAHAHAHAH but Ketchup and I feel very heart pain waking up every morning to find them swimming at the fish gathering corner of the tank.. with no host... :P I know it's ALL IN THE MIND cause they can survive but... heh...we will wait patiently for a suitable sized hadonni ... <_<

now we just have to wait a week plus before putting the RBTA and our tomato into the tank and then PRAY the tomato don't whack the 2 black osci since they do not have the protection of an anemonea. :wacko:

BTw, just a question do you guys QT Bartlett Anthias or you just THROW THEM in? :blush:

Cheers,

Desi

bartletts are usually relatively disease resistant. however, since u already practice QT, just QT them for awhile and see if anything pops up. no harm!

• SRC Member

We collected 5 bartlett anthias and put them in the main tank already... very nice and shall take some pics and post when have time. So far, they have been schooling around fairly comfortable, chased occasionally by the YT but not really agressively. One of the bartlett, i suspect have some scratch, which i hope will recover but generally, all feeding well and swimming well and getting along with the other fishes...

I think this is about the bioload that we will hold for now.,. plus maybe the tomato clown and boxer shrimp that now resides in our sump. Only addition that i likely to add is maybe a few more small snails, an algae blenny and some small fishes..

Ultimately, we may add in another 2 tangs... Naso + Powder blue/brown. Thats it for livestock.

Coral wise, we may add some to see if the black osci will host in any... considering frogspawn now... any other suggestions?

For hadonni, we will only get if we can get a small specimen that is nice in colour.

• SRC Member

OH yeah, we are also turning on the UV 24/7 right now since we added in the anthias... I know that it kills both the good and bad bacteria so I guess I'd be doing more dosing of my phyto and zooplankton as well as my rowa bac during the weekly dosing...

Does anyone else out there have any opinion about UV? AS I intend to leave it on for the first couple of days then maybe cut it down to 8 hours a day.... any comments on UV usage?

:thanks:

Desi

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• Senior Reefer

the bacteria it kills it not so serious as majority of the bacteria grows in ur rocks and very little actually exist in the water. so bacteria passing tru ur UV is not as much. do need to dose bacteria on a regular basis..its wasting money. just dose once in a while, after water chances etc...its not an additive.

OH yeah, we are also turning on the UV 24/7 right now since we added in the anthias... I know that it kills both the good and bad bacteria so I guess I'd be doing more dosing of my phyto and zooplankton as well as my rowa bac during the weekly dosing...

Does anyone else out there have any opinion about UV? AS I intend to leave it on for the first couple of days then maybe cut it down to 8 hours a day.... any comments on UV usage?

:thanks:

Desi

I am runing my UV 3 times a week only, but some reefer prefer to run it on for 24/7 to prevent ich and other dieases.. Prehapes you can consider runing in on for a full day when you introduce your new fish and reducing it back to normal once your new fish stable, as some time dieases maybe carry over from new fish bought into the tank..

• SRC Member

Ya... i think having UV on 24/7 is necessary lor.. unless you add some new lifestock.. :)

We just got a nice haddoni that the black osci seems to love and start to zoom into it... very nice.. but now still moving so keeping fingers crossed...

• SRC Member
Ya... i think having UV on 24/7 is necessary lor.. unless you add some new lifestock.. :)

We just got a nice haddoni that the black osci seems to love and start to zoom into it... very nice.. but now still moving so keeping fingers crossed...

wao, you sure are lucky! my percs still negative on my haddoni.. :eyeblur:

pictures!! :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

• SRC Member

Here's a pic of our carpet and the 2 little black osci! :)

And right now.. the carpet is moving around the tank... god knows where it's gonna land! Hope it doesn't eat any of our snails or other small fishes in the process.

post-12571-1264689095_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Desi.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

thats an interesting looking carpet.. weirdly, it should prefer sandbed, like all haddonis.. did you place it on the sand initially?

• SRC Member
thats an interesting looking carpet.. weirdly, it should prefer sandbed, like all haddonis.. did you place it on the sand initially?

you know, that's what I asked Henry when I bought it from him, but he told me to put it on a rock.. so I did.. then it MOVED.. and now.. it's lodged itself at the corner of my BIG clove.. LOL on the SAND.. HAHAHAHA oh well... I'd let it roam around until it finds a spot.. right now I'm just so happy that the 2 black clowns have SOMEWHERE to sleep to rest their tired fins. LOL

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

icic, haddonis sld prefer sandbed mostly.. neighbouring corals will get stung definitely.. but nonetheless its a beautiful piece.. :)

• SRC Member

hee hee.. let me make a clarifaction.. it's a gigantea not a hadonni. :) and as you rightly said in PM VT__snow, it SHOULD prefer the rockwork but now it's moving around the clove.. on the sand.. maybe it thinks the outcrop of clove is a ROCK! :P ARUGH! :eyeblur: .. .... I guess I have to give it about a week or so before I put in my tomato and RBTA. lol I sure as hell hope my RBTA would settle at the spot that I put it in since it's now already settled on a rock in my refugum. LOL I'm gonna have both anamoneas in seperate corners of the tank.. as FAR away as possible! :P

:eyebrow:

Desi

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• Senior Reefer

its generally not wise to mix too many anemone species in the same tank. they are quite intolerant of each other. and does not matter how far away from each other, as long as in the same water bodies, they can interact with each other with chemicals. but this is just a textbook literature example and should be followed with a pinch of salt and used as a guideline, for i have seen numerous occasions where reefers have proved against this.

technically, its true. so just run carbon and regular water changes should work.

• SRC Member
hee hee.. let me make a clarifaction.. it's a gigantea not a hadonni. :) and as you rightly said in PM VT__snow, it SHOULD prefer the rockwork but now it's moving around the clove.. on the sand.. maybe it thinks the outcrop of clove is a ROCK! :P ARUGH! :eyeblur: .. .... I guess I have to give it about a week or so before I put in my tomato and RBTA. lol I sure as hell hope my RBTA would settle at the spot that I put it in since it's now already settled on a rock in my refugum. LOL I'm gonna have both anamoneas in seperate corners of the tank.. as FAR away as possible! :P

:eyebrow:

Desi

with your clownfishes inside the anemone it should prevent other fishes from getting too close.. so its an extra precaution against ur fishes getting eaten.. :):):) good luck!

• SRC Member
its generally not wise to mix too many anemone species in the same tank. they are quite intolerant of each other. and does not matter how far away from each other, as long as in the same water bodies, they can interact with each other with chemicals. but this is just a textbook literature example and should be followed with a pinch of salt and used as a guideline, for i have seen numerous occasions where reefers have proved against this.

technically, its true. so just run carbon and regular water changes should work.

yup lemon, I read about that as well in all the literature about anemone that one should not mix.. and yet .. here we see many tanks with more than 1 anemone in there and everything seems fine. So I suppose it does all boil down to regular maintenence and husbandry of our little piece of ocean. :) Running carbon, rowaphos and purigen to clear our water. :) Currently, haven't figured out a time to do regular water change but we'd start off with once a month :). And since the tank is relatively new, we have been doing water parameter tests every alternate day so if there's any spike, we'd know within a relatively short time. :)

alright.. i"d call it a night.. I will NOT go out and look at the carpet.. I WILL NOT go out and look at the carpet.. I WILL GO and join ketchup in BED....

<weak>

Desi. :paiseh:

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member
yup lemon, I read about that as well in all the literature about anemone that one should not mix.. and yet .. here we see many tanks with more than 1 anemone in there and everything seems fine. So I suppose it does all boil down to regular maintenence and husbandry of our little piece of ocean. :) Running carbon, rowaphos and purigen to clear our water. :) Currently, haven't figured out a time to do regular water change but we'd start off with once a month :). And since the tank is relatively new, we have been doing water parameter tests every alternate day so if there's any spike, we'd know within a relatively short time. :)

alright.. i"d call it a night.. I will NOT go out and look at the carpet.. I WILL NOT go out and look at the carpet.. I WILL GO and join ketchup in BED....

<weak>

Haha, easier said than done... :)

A Little Stress-Relieving Fish Tank

<weak>

lol. yes u should slp. weather this few days r horrible.

i should too. so dissappointed with the GO shipment.

was already planning where to place the new corals. but go there. nothing nice. wasted trip.

was already planning where to place the new corals. but go there. nothing nice. wasted trip.

thought of going too .... thanks for the advice

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

i tot a few of them manage to procure some nice zoas... hmmm

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.