MY RHOMBOIDS JUST SPAWNED!

• Senior Reefer

ARGH UNBELIEVABLE!! my rhomboid male has been displaying to the female nightly and going into crazy flashing fits. today, i JUST WITNESSED THEM SPAWNING Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! AMAZZZZZZZING. NEVER DID I EVER EXPECT THIS!! THE FEMALE IS SO NEW!!

it starts with the female hanging out the outer edge of the rocks, and the male will just swim circles around and around and really, its so amazing when he flashes, i swear he is emitting his own light lol. even the other wrasses backed off. this is not the usual flashing he does, it seemed different somehow. so i just watched and watched.

next, he swims towards the female, and both dash to the surface with a slight splash. didnt get to see any eggs. wrasse eggs are tiny, pelagic, transparent, and think my eye too screwed up to see them. the two partners then decend down to resume their normal fishy activities.

never did i expect them to spawn so soon, in a SHALLOW TANK OF ONLY 2 FT, and with only one female! i dunno if the eggs are fertile or not, but its certainly very very nice to see! i wanted to take a picture or a video of the male flashing but i have been trying to get good shots for the past 2 weeks to no avail, so i kinda gave up. regretted it lols.

hope this keeps up!! FUEL, JOE, WANNA RAISE SOME RHOMBOID BABIES? ahhhhhhhhh hands are shaking as i type this.

• SRC Member
ARGH UNBELIEVABLE!! my rhomboid male has been displaying to the female nightly and going into crazy flashing fits. today, i JUST WITNESSED THEM SPAWNING Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! AMAZZZZZZZING. NEVER DID I EVER EXPECT THIS!! THE FEMALE IS SO NEW!!

it starts with the female hanging out the outer edge of the rocks, and the male will just swim circles around and around and really, its so amazing when he flashes, i swear he is emitting his own light lol. even the other wrasses backed off. this is not the usual flashing he does, it seemed different somehow. so i just watched and watched.

next, he swims towards the female, and both dash to the surface with a slight splash. didnt get to see any eggs. wrasse eggs are tiny, pelagic, transparent, and think my eye too screwed up to see them. the two partners then decend down to resume their normal fishy activities.

never did i expect them to spawn so soon, in a SHALLOW TANK OF ONLY 2 FT, and with only one female! i dunno if the eggs are fertile or not, but its certainly very very nice to see! i wanted to take a picture of the video of the male flashing but i have been trying to get good shots for the past 2 weeks to no avail, so i kinda gave up. regretted it lols.

hope this keeps up!! FUEL, JOE, WANNA RAISE SOME RHOMBOID BABIES? ahhhhhhhhh hands are shaking as i type this.

Wow!

Your tank and water conditions must have been very good for them to spawn!!

Please raise and sell a couple to me :rolleyes:

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

• Senior Reefer
Wow!

Your tank and water conditions must have been very good for them to spawn!!

Please raise and sell a couple to me :rolleyes:

i dont think anyone has raised wrasses from eggs before. im no breeding expert though.

never heard of rhomboids spawning in captivity before. have seen flame wrasses doing it though. wow could this be a first? kakaka

strange because i only have 1 female, she looks chubby. could be gravid? after the ascent, she looks noticibly slimmer. there's a video on youtube of a spawning flame wrasse and i think there's only 2 females in that tank. the wrasse still spawned nonetheless. there's no harem yet its still possible?

• Senior Reefer
Wow... This might be the first i think.. but i remember reading that when some wrasse spawn, the flashing is so intense that it seems like it is giving off light..

the male rhomboid flashes extremely brightly. i think my tank isnt high enough for their preferred spawning rituals. i did see some hinderance the height posessed towards the pair. the ascent was rushed and could have lasted longer if the tank was deeper.

imagine this but 10x brighter. even if i had caught a good picture, it will be too bright. a good dslr might work.

post-15755-1268751138_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member
Did u manage to collect the eggs? Think it will be good if u collect them and keep them separate till Fuel or Joe come in.

Cool stuff.

JC

I think it is a bit difficult, As the eggs will be Pelagic and you require the right micron net to "catch" them..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Yup. I'm aware of that. Lemon can try the scoop method for the time being. I believe Fuel or Joe will not mind lesser egg to "play" with. It will be a good breeding journal even if the egg did not hatch eventually. :)

I'll will love to try hatching them but currently do not have the facilities/resources to hatch the eggs.

Cheers

JC

Yup. I'm aware of that. Lemon can try the scoop method for the time being. I believe Fuel or Joe will not mind lesser egg to "play" with. It will be a good breeding journal even if the egg did not hatch eventually. :)

I'll will love to try hatching them but currently do not have the facilities/resources to hatch the eggs.

Cheers

JC

Ya... I think it would be worth a try..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

actually i wasnt prepared for their spawning. i just saw the male flashing and i mistook it for his daily evening rituals. doesnt help that i have a wavebox and the eggs are pelagic. and im abit pajiao :x can't see.

tomorrow will be my last night in singapore before i leave for my trip, hopefully they spawn again. this is their first time. not sure if they will do it again regularly or not.

• SRC Member

Wow lemon your tank is full of such interesting stuff!! Spawning rhomboids! WOW.. :) It must have been really beautiful. :)

other people hand shake when they win lottery.. our hands shake when soemthing darn interesting happens in our tank! :))

:upsidedown:

Desi

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• Senior Reefer
Wow lemon your tank is full of such interesting stuff!! Spawning rhomboids! WOW.. :) It must have been really beautiful. :)

other people hand shake when they win lottery.. our hands shake when soemthing darn interesting happens in our tank! :))

:upsidedown:

Desi

yeah lol. my friends are always saying how retarded i am for spending money on a fish, which could other wise be used to buy branded bags.

• Senior Reefer
If the tank remain constant, spawning activities should be on a regular basis. You might want to try collecting the eggs next time by switching off the pumps.

Cheers

JC

i hope so. they seemed bothered about the shallow height. not very condusive for wrasse spawning i think..

• Senior Reefer
Generally, pelagic spawning will need a much higher tank but since urs are spawning, it might juz happen again. Its always a joy to see ur livestock spawn in captivity.

Cheers

JC

thanks. yep. saw the male courting the female again just now. but she seemed uninterested.

i have a proper harem of 6 females and 1 very alpha male filamented flasher. but have yet to see anything besides flaring, from them.

also have a true pair of firefishes that sleep together and do some courting behaviour. funny.... have kept clowns before, never see them spawn. but these weird fishes are all engaging in spawning rituals.

• SRC Member

Maybe you have been dosing love potion no.9 instead of trace elements all this while lol. I second the suggestion to filter out the eggs for FUEL's experiments next time :eyebrow:

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer
Maybe you have been dosing love potion no.9 instead of trace elements all this while lol. I second the suggestion to filter out the eggs for FUEL's experiments next time :eyebrow:

LOL hahaha. tonight will be my last night in singapore. if they wanna spawn they better spawn tonight. otherwise no eggs for 3 weeks.

• SRC Member

maybe 3 weeks later you will see little rhomboid frys in your tank? not surprising since your tank always gives wonderful little surprises

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member

wao its amazing.. :) seems you've been pretty lucky recently, especially with the hitchhiker find, and now this! awesome..

• SRC Member

Wrassey hanky panky... you need to setup an IP camera trained to your tank!

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)