How/what to feed anthias?

Dear reefers, got a pair of anthias recently. Not sure what type. Pink body, yellow stripe from head to tail. Dorsal fin is also pink. $8 each type so it's not barlett. Is it yellowtail?

It's pretty scare to see me.

How to get it start feeding? By the time it comes out, all food makan by the rest Liao :(

what do u guys feed such fishes?

Kindly pls advice. Thx.

• SRC Member

Not very sure what it is... Anthias usually very active especially during feeding. You can try and scatter your food near your wavemaker so it circulates and you can see the fishes go chasing :P

Anthias is suppose to be on constant feeding but most just feed them pellets, mysis, henrys gourmet etc.. They aren't very choosy. :P

• Senior Reefer

actually bro ketchup, anthias are very difficult to feed.

the only easy ones are bartlett and occasionally dispar.

the rest of the family are not very hardy and some are very hard to feed. a picture will help to show us what anthias it is. isit red stripe anthias?

Dear reefers, got a pair of anthias recently. Not sure what type. Pink body, yellow stripe from head to tail. Dorsal fin is also pink. $8 each type so it's not barlett. Is it yellowtail?

It's pretty scare to see me.

How to get it start feeding? By the time it comes out, all food makan by the rest Liao :(

what do u guys feed such fishes?

Kindly pls advice. Thx.

From the description and price.. Sound like Evansi anthias..

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+20+49&pcatid=49

It is difficult fish.... normally better start with them first b4 adding other fish.... may be, introduce some live food to stimulate their appetite.... Or try Cyclopeeze...

Cheers...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

It is difficult fish.... normally better start with them first b4 adding other fish.... may be, introduce some live food to stimulate their appetite.... Or try Cyclopeeze...

Cheers...

Totally agree!!

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/anthias/anthias.jpg

found a similar pic. I just tried aquapharm 5 in 1 coral seaplankton. They came out but how to tell got eat or not- I Can't see the food :P

Ya, confirm it is Evansi anthias. They r plankton feeding in the wild... therefore, they response to 5 in 1 smell... But I doubt they able consume.. But I know they able to take "marine snow" by two litle fish product.... probably mix with meaty food.. or sea monkey and Cyclopeeze.

Cheers...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=1901&osCsid=c85e1230106a17b456162970ce8508da

found another. I thought it's this bcos rem heard lfs mentioned the word purple.

http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=3387

isn't this what evansi should look like? A bit confuse now.

http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=1901&osCsid=c85e1230106a17b456162970ce8508da

found another. I thought it's this bcos rem heard lfs mentioned the word purple.

http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=3387

isn't this what evansi should look like? A bit confuse now.

Ya, probably the pics contract issue.. pics a bit misleading...

Pls find pics below I try to grab from web shows diffs between Evansi and Purple Queen male and Female... hope this helps.... Cheers...

post-9248-12741151015038_thumb.jpg

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

Bringing this topic up again. Can i check if all anthias require regular feeding, i.e. twice a day? Just bought a sunburst and sunset..

Hi Bro I Feed my 21+Anthias 2x daily for 3 years with no prob

cheers!

• Like 1

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Bringing this topic up again. Can i check if all anthias require regular feeding, i.e. twice a day? Just bought a sunburst and sunset.. 

where did u set your sunset from?? im hunting for them too.

i have got 4 dispar anthias and 2 sunburst and 1 sunset.

i first had 4 dispar together and they started feeding after 4days. every feesing i use a mixture of mysis,brine shrimps,pellets and also cycolopee. after that change to pellets only after i observe them taking pellets.

both sunburst and 1 sunset was added later, and all 3 were feeding after 2days. however sunset died after 2weeks. what i observe is that when dispar and sunburst are feeding the lonly sunset tend to shy away. even till now both sunburst are slower in feeding as compared to dispar.

so imo its always better to add the same spices in a group of 3 or more.

Sent from my LG-E988 using Tapatalk

I got the sunset from Sealife. It's now feeding on live brine. It did try on pellets and mysis but it spat out :erm: but i'm still trying to train it to feed on pellets or mysis at least.

As for the sunburst, i did notice some similarities from what you mentioned, it does shy away alittle from the sunset. But i thought i saw it eating the brine as well.

fingers crossed for now..

If eating live brine got chance to wean. Use APBreed TDO C1. Pellets too big they will spit out. Other fish that eat C1: Mandarinfish, cleaner wrasse, moorish idols, purple queen anthias.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

me have success to keep many type of anthias b4 but sunset consider most difficult for me & never success same as evansi ... they only feed on live food and very shy they need at least 5~10 as a ground have higher chance to come out feeding & survive ...

Anthias have high metabolic rates and ideally should be fed few times a day, the more frequent the better. Most people fail because they feed only once or twice a day, anthias still eat but slowly starve to death. And most reef tanks are quite warm at 26-27 degrees, that does not help with sporadic feeding. There's no way the fish can gain weight.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Due to busy work schedule, getting your anthias to feed on small pellets on auto feeder can help.

I begin with getting a pair of more expensive proper quarantine pellets feeding anthias first. Make sure they feed on the auto feeder for a month first before I start adding other anthias from lfs, the pellets feeding ones will lead those new anthias to feed on pellets. You should always standby wet food like brine shrimps/mysis or many reefers favourite fish food "henry's gourmet" in case the new anthias still "shy".

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

My sunset rejected Henry's Gourmet.. unbelievable. I soaked them with garlic.. mashed it up so as to make sure it's not too big (although i think her mouth is quite big when she opens!)

Maybe i'll do a concoction of brine + henry's gourmet + mysis together and see if i can wean them off..

• SRC Member

Hee! Alternatively pass me your anthias :)

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium