Belle's 3x2x2 slice of the Ocean

bellinayu

Woah, I'm having difficulty keeping pink in my tank and the bi-colour turned pink in yours. We should exchange tanks. :)

P/s: had to meet a relative urgently earlier thus didn't managed to reply your message.. The purple porite is still ok. It's encrusting well.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• SRC TOTQ Winner

I have 9 fishes in total so I don't think the pastel is because low bio-load. I will try to add potassium chloride and see if any difference.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • SRC TOTQ Winner

It's been a while since my last updates...

BN is my fastest grower, with montis and digi next in line. Therefore, for those who want to try SPS, you can't go wrong with these few species.

Birdnest and Digitata

My rainbow monti just don't seem to give me the different colours. Great PE though. Does it need more light for the orange polyps to appear?

Member of:

• SRC TOTQ Winner

Hi Desi. Have not been to lfs for quite sometime now as I've been working weekends for the whole month of June. Just doing tank maintenance. How's Yr tank? Trying out a few sticks? Soon, you'll be converted :upsidedown:

Member of:

• 2 months later...

As usual a very nice tank sis...

:groupwavereversed:

|| Tank: 5x2x2.5 || Sump 3.5x1.5.1.5 || Lights: DeLighting 2x80w Aquable Special T5 ||

|| Return: 2 x ehiem 1264 || Skimmer: Skimz SM251 ||

|| CR: deltec denitrator || ATO with custom make reservior tank||

|| FR: TLF running Rowas ,UV ||

|| Wavemaker: Jebao RE20& RW15|| Chiller: Daikin 1HP Compressor ||

|| Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor ||

• SRC TOTQ Winner

Hi Klyve, was just admiring your tank thread as well. You have a large and awesome SPS collection yourself! The royal blue Milli is my favourite pc as well. I lost mine when I was battling with hair algae at 1 point of time. Hope to get a frag one day. Have I met you in 1 of the LFS before?

Member of:

Hi Klyve, was just admiring your tank thread as well. You have a large and awesome SPS collection yourself! The royal blue Milli is my favourite pc as well. I lost mine when I was battling with hair algae at 1 point of time. Hope to get a frag one day. Have I met you in 1 of the LFS before?

I went to ur house before to get some frags before... That was some time ago...and I must say your tank looks more beautiful in real life then in picture...

Oh sad to heard of ur lose... Thats a very nice piece and my all time favourite...

|| Tank: 5x2x2.5 || Sump 3.5x1.5.1.5 || Lights: DeLighting 2x80w Aquable Special T5 ||

• SRC TOTQ Winner

Could thisbe this if given enough blue light?

The green base and purple rim colours are similiar but just can't get the fire polyps. My suspect is that I'm not giving enough blue light to bring out the red poylps as it's placed in a corner of my tank. I got this from Jack when he decom his tank. The first photo is taken by Jack and the second pic is found in the net. ID as fire polyps undata. I just get a good shot of it in my tank. The purple rim is now more distinctive than in his pic. I am shinning my par30 on it.

Member of:

• SRC Supporter

Could thisbe this if given enough blue light?

The green base and purple rim colours are similiar but just can't get the fire polyps. My suspect is that I'm not giving enough blue light to bring out the red poylps as it's placed in a corner of my tank. I got this from Jack when he decom his tank. The first photo is taken by Jack and the second pic is found in the net. ID as fire polyps undata. I just get a good shot of it in my tank. The purple rim is now more distinctive than in his pic. I am shinning my par30 on it.

That should be a montipora undata. Do a search on "Jedi's Mind Trick montipora" and you will be able to get some images.

Believe this specimen came in from a batch of SPS shipment a few months back and were plentiful. Unfortunately, not many reefers took notice of them as the polyp colouration weren't so evident back then, and yes, they seems to colour up with more intense polyps colouration and nice purple rims under stronger lightings.

• SRC Supporter

My rainbow monti just don't seem to give me the different colours. Great PE though. Does it need more light for the orange polyps to appear?

IME, the so "nicked" raindow montipora only develops the orangey red polyp colouration in areas of new growth. That's why small specimens as in fragmentations would appear with vivid colouration due to new growth especially when placed on frag plugs and allowed to grow out. I have so far not seen a large specimen of so named "rainbow montipora" that had the consistency orangey red polyp colouration, mostly blue base with green polyps. Only areas of new growth are endowed with the mentioned polyp colouration. Maybe others might be able to chip in with their experience.

• SRC TOTQ Winner

Thanks Joe for the website link - "Jedi's Mind Trick montipora". The photo image found in vivid aquarium matches the specimen. I'm not getting red polyps probably becos not having intense lightings.

Happy that I got a rare find.

Member of:

IME, the so "nicked" raindow montipora only develops the orangey red polyp colouration in areas of new growth. That's why small specimens as in fragmentations would appear with vivid colouration due to new growth especially when placed on frag plugs and allowed to grow out. I have so far not seen a large specimen of so named "rainbow montipora" that had the consistency orangey red polyp colouration, mostly blue base with green polyps. Only areas of new growth are endowed with the mentioned polyp colouration. Maybe others might be able to chip in with their experience.

Hi Joe, in discussing this interesting topic about rainbow monti, (RM) imo it is important to distinguish in what environment is the RM being raised. I humbly defer with your view that large specimen of RM does not have the yellowish orange polyp colours. In fact, it is exactly during the wild shippment from which it is being given a name for it's overall (not just the new growth edge) dazzling brilliant rainbow colours ( yellow, orange, green with blue base).

It is however, the challenge in keeping this rainbow colours that keeps the SPS die hard fans from wanting to retain the same vivid colouration of the RM. In most cases, wild shippment RM will looses it's overall rainbow colours within days (under poorer water quality), if not weeks (for more acceptable waters). That in my experience has got to do with the different environment which they are kept.

As you probably might agree on the point that different sps specimen has each got it's unique color morphing ability and their sensitivities in reaction to both different internal structural growth and external environment factors. The RM similarly have it's unique requirement in able to retain / regain its rainbow coloration. However most often than not, the rainbow is only presented in the new growth for most reefers.

In my own experience and seeing one reefer's tank with my own eye, extremely good water quality with intense lighting has been able to color up the RM with an overall orange polyp coloration with an intense sky blue base under a large specimen, and to a lesser extend manage to 'tune' it to a variation of yellow green and orange polyp color mixture (not just the edge alone), however it takes time for the RM to slowly color up and needs very god water quality, and i suspect one of the key could be a lack of some essential trace elements in this respect for most reefers.

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• SRC Member

...however it takes time for the RM to slowly color up and needs very god water quality...

I loled at this. Holy water! :P I think it'll be something I can never achieve in my reefing experience. You guys are really the pros... :thumbsup:

• SRC Member

Hi Joe, in discussing this interesting topic about rainbow monti, (RM) imo it is important to distinguish in what environment is the RM being raised. I humbly defer with your view that large specimen of RM does not have the yellowish orange polyp colours. In fact, it is exactly during the wild shippment from which it is being given a name for it's overall (not just the new growth edge) dazzling brilliant rainbow colours ( yellow, orange, green with blue base).

It is however, the challenge in keeping this rainbow colours that keeps the SPS die hard fans from wanting to retain the same vivid colouration of the RM. In most cases, wild shippment RM will looses it's overall rainbow colours within days (under poorer water quality), if not weeks (for more acceptable waters). That in my experience has got to do with the different environment which they are kept.

As you probably might agree on the point that different sps specimen has each got it's unique color morphing ability and their sensitivities in reaction to both different internal structural growth and external environment factors. The RM similarly have it's unique requirement in able to retain / regain its rainbow coloration. However most often than not, the rainbow is only presented in the new growth for most reefers.

In my own experience and seeing one reefer's tank with my own eye, extremely good water quality with intense lighting has been able to color up the RM with an overall orange polyp coloration with an intense sky blue base under a large specimen, and to a lesser extend manage to 'tune' it to a variation of yellow green and orange polyp color mixture (not just the edge alone), however it takes time for the RM to slowly color up and needs very god water quality, and i suspect one of the key could be a lack of some essential trace elements in this respect for most reefers.

Who else is that "one reefer" beside you???? ;-P

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Who else is that "one reefer" beside you???? ;-P

Lol...actually bro, there are some very low profile but truly hidden dragon sps reefers around locally. Sadly they have one by one fade off the scene due to change of interest or family / work commitment. The one whom i have seen his tank before is Glenn who stays in katong area, last heard he has migrated to Australia for good, btw do you happen to know him and got his contact? if so i would really like to get in touch with him.

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• 5 months later...
  • SRC TOTQ Winner

It has been sometime since I've updated my tank thread. Here are some pics. I've sold my overgrown BN colonies to make space for some millis. However, just barely 2 mths, the pink BN is overtaking my tank again so have to put it FS. The yellow one is tucked in a corner due to space constraints so the base is receeding due to no flow. Once I clear the pink one, I can frag it and shift it up.

The right side is a mixture of digis, montis, millis

The left side are digis & millis

My favourite pink hairy milli :wub:

Can't quite name the colour of this monti. With more light, it's light purple

Have added on a strip of blue lights from DE. It also acts as a moonlight once all my lights are turned off. Here's a pic of my par lights (3 pcs) and the blue strip placed at the back of the tank where the 6 tubes of ATI powermodule does not cover. Therefore, I'm supplementing with 3 pcs of par led. The Par gives the tank some spot light effect :thumbsup:

Shot of the tank with just par and blue strip lights on.

Pics are all taken with my iphone so colours are a bit off. That's all for my update of my tank thread for Mar 12. Till next time... Reef on :yahoo:

• Like 1

Member of:

The birdnest lived up to its name. Nice.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Wow sis is it the royal blue milli on the 2nd pic??