Anemones

vinccc2009

• SRC Member

Got a nice big anemones yesterday.

It comes with a rock stick on it.

Thought it looks nice with the wave maker n place the rock in the center of my tank with it swinging along with the wave...very nice n peaceful

When wake up next morning, left the rock...the anemones was no where to be found!

I have lots of rocks n don't wish to disturb the rock scape.

How can I lure it out?

They are like nomads, always moving around till they find a permanent spot and plant themselves there. Make sure it doesn't get drifted and get sucked by the wave maker. Mine almost did....

Description of my humble tank

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus OCTX 160

Return Pump - Germain Eheim pump 3400 litres/hr

Chiller - Hailea Chiller 300A

Wave Maker - Ecotech Marine MP40W

Lighting - Solarmax 4ft MH 2 x 150 watts & 2 x T5 lights

Date of Commission of Tank - 22 Dec 2010

• SRC Member

Good luck with your anemone. I literally had to do a complete rescape just to make sure my anemone stay where I want it to stay. After that, I place the fake live rock around it. During this period, there was minimal amount of coral in the tank. Took my time with the anemone, including acclimatising it to my Maxspect led lightset. When it stayed for 2 weeks, I started to add coral to the tank. Nowadays, the true percula hosting the anemone continue to spawn just behind the anemone. I've tried in total 3 anemone and all perish when they moved into the wavemaker. The 4th looks to be a success. Sorry for the long post.

Hope this helps!

• SRC Member

you can't control where the anemones will end up going... it's a hit and miss in my opinion with them. If your wavemakers are all high up it shouldn't be a problem .... it's probably hiding somewhere and will appear sooner or later. My very first anemone ended up sticking it's base onto the glass so it's like i'm seeing it's "backside" rather than the front for awhile before it decided to move AGAIN and found a rock crevice to stick it's base in. LOL

good luck :)

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

What anemone is it? Different anemone have different requirement and some dun like high flow area whereas some enjoy high flow.. knowing its requirment will enable to place it a location where it is less likely to venture... My magnifica anemone have been staying put since day 1, they are know to move around a lot... The location is with high flow and high lighting...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

this is taken when I just bought it.

It is so nice and so fat!

then next day!..become an empty rock!

That a bubbletip.. It will look for crevice to fit its foot in and extend out the tentacles... They dun really like strong flow but require high lighting...

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

dnt worry, it will appear sooner than you thought.

Just learn as you make mistakes...this's life!

Anyway, BTA will require like. (As Terry had mentioned.)So, just keep searching around and you will find it planted somewhere permanant.

yup, u cant keep the anemone in the place u want, they will move around and stay on one spot for a while (maybe longer) and then move again. so just dont bother with it and let it move freely, if u keep shift it here and there, u will add stress to the anemone and die faster.

just my 2 cents....

Current Tank(s) :

2 x 1 x 1 mixed reef tank

What in my mind now (future tanks)

4 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile coral tank

3 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile reef tank

Decommissioned Tanks :

2 ft seahorse tank back in the 1990s'

2.5 ft cube mixed reef tank in 2007 to 2008

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

2 x 1 x 1 puffer-fishes, box-fishes & Frog-fish tank (2015)

this is taken when I just bought it.

It is so nice and so fat!

then next day!..become an empty rock!

Hi, I learn something from my colleague Beagle1 previously. When your RBTA hide.. Off the whole tank light and makesure all area really dark. after that shine the strong light @ certain spot which you desire yr RBTA to come out.. Try for one or two day... Hope your anemone attracted out by light. Cheers...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

My RBTA used to stay put on one location for quite a while. Recently two months back it went missing one morning when i look into the tank. I notice it started to shift itself to another location. The following check again...i just saw some remains on my vortech... No need explain you get the picture. Luckily mine is an oversized skimmer.

• SRC Member

Anemone and wave makers / powerheads don't mix. it's just a matter of when they will meet, not a metter of whether they will meet.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Anyone know of anemone eat clown or baby tang?

your bubbletip will not catch clownfish or small fishes to eat.. most probably the fish is sick or already dead and drifted into the tentacles of your anemone.. an alive and healthy fish will have no problem swimming out of a BTA sting..

• SRC Member

heee..then i just have to wait...

I am still not able to find my anemones...i have around 100kg of rocks in a 6footer tank..there are more than enough places for all these tiny fishes to hide.

I will get bigger fishes in future..8-)

• SRC Member

I did a re-do of my rocks yesterday and then I found my RBTA hiding at the back of my rock!!

I saw leave it there and show a bit of its BT so that at least I know it is still alive...

Luckily it is not spinned by my WM..haahaa

• SRC Member

I've kept them before. 1 getting smaller n smaller. Scare die so take out n throw away. Intro 2nd wan. Same thing happen. Dunno y also.

Sian.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!