Does anyone have any of these you do not require and can give me?

• Moderators

Guys, as much we want to encourage new reefers into this hobby.

We also need to be share the "true" cost of this hobby since TS had already indicated so right at the beginning.

Be it big or small tank, running cost need to be factor in.

It is well known electricity cost had been moving north, so will the maintenance cost.

Not putting a damper on the hobby but those who had been in the hobby long enough will have the data when they see their PUB bill over the past years.

And not forgetting cost of life stocks, etc had also move north with the ever increasing cost of transport, etc.

Tom

Its your call. Or why not get a big AIO like the red sea max 250? It should add up to about 3-4.5k. Its prob within your budget if u are planning for a 6ft. u can still keep fairly big fish in there like tangs and angels.

I have gone through this before and I see the trend of students reefers asking for free stuffs, It is nothing wrong as long as the attitude is correct...

Basically, Although we dun encourage Nano Tank for Beginners as the parameter fluctuation is difficult to maintain but for students reefers, I believe most of the time will be a home other than school curriculum time, set aside 30mins-1hour daily for water change, I believe Nano is easy to maintain...

For a Nano, the setup cost would be around or less than 1k?

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Guys, as much we want to encourage new reefers into this hobby.

We also need to be share the "true" cost of this hobby since TS had already indicated so right at the beginning.

Be it big or small tank, running cost need to be factor in.

It is well known electricity cost had been moving north, so will the maintenance cost.

Not putting a damper on the hobby but those who had been in the hobby long enough will have the data when they see their PUB bill over the past years.

And not forgetting cost of life stocks, etc had also move north with the ever increasing cost of transport, etc.

I know this, LOL... 8 years ago, Electrical Bill for 2 marine tank Plus a few FW tanks is $280, Now Got 1 main tank and 3 frag tank, The bill is $420... Fainting... The cost of the life stock are also increasing...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

IMO, I feel that one should save up to buy his / her own equipment, tank, etc, be it brand new or 2nd hand, while using the time to do more research. I'm very sure many reefers would agree that if sufficient and proper research is done, this in itself is a cost saving as you spend less on getting things that you don't need. I learn from experience that there is more heartache when things purchased from my own pocket either die, malfunction, etc, and I appreciate the value of the lesson, and be wiser.

• SRC Member

I am considering to downsize.

I have a 3 by 2 by 2 with cabinet and sump which is 1 year old from Aquatic Style.

Bought it @ S$1400. Whats the money you set aside to get a new tank?

See if you are keen to buy at a reasonable price since Second Hand tank doesnt command much price.

I would rather let the bro here help input reasonable price since I have no idea at all.

Still not yet confirm to downsize yet.

Maybe can sms me @ 91819772, see what we can work out.

• SRC Member

After reading all your responses, i really do have alot to think about. Honestly i do have an idea on how expensive rearing marine fishes can be because i had a 22 gallon nano before until i had to shift hse then my mum gave it away. But now i'd like to try at it again because i miss the experience i had then when i had a fowlr tank. But this time im prolly not trying a nano I'd prefer a bigger and more rectangular tank which allow my fishes more free swim space and also i'd like the experience to set up the sump and etc on my own.

Maybe i didnt put it out correctly in my first post. I am a student reefer who has a budget, not a big one but at least i have a budget but what some of you guys are making it sound like is i have NO MONEY at all and am begging for everything to start a tank. FYI i am only asking for help so as to reduce whatever cost of my aquarium i can reduce possibly (as many of you already know i'm a student reeefer thats why i'm trying to cut equipment cost as much as possible) and moreover i am only asking for things from people who think they do not need their old aquarium equipment anymore and rather than just let it rot at home, they may as well give it to someone who'll maximise the utility of the equipment. And whatever i cannot get here i'll still go and buy it with my OWN MONEY. And also, PLEASE.. just because i ask for unwanted equipment that could aid me in my aquarium setup it doesnt mean i'll keep asking for stuff from others. I still want to have a sense of ownership over the tank. Live stock, live rocks, corals, and most other things i will get by myself with my OWN MONEY.

And as for maintenance yeah of course it'll be expensive, for eg salt, electricity, food etc. I know all that. BUT I'm both financially and mentally prepared for that. Moreover maintenance is a gradual thing. Money can be saved up along the way. Not like equipment costs. Many things you have to get at the start whioh doesnt give you much time to save especially if i'm planning to start soon before the price of things start to rise further.

So i hope rather than shoving hard facts down my throat, i think providing helpful information or the actual help itself like choose a display name, nanoreefer and some other people have done, will not only help encourage me to set up a realistic, maintainable and proper tank but also allow me to reap the fruits of my sowing.

Anw last notes, i am not asking for free stuff or pressurizing or manipulating anyone to give me free items because i cant afford them. I am merely asking for unused items which could go a long way in helping someone like me since the items are no longer needed. NOTE THIS.

• SRC Member

Yeah agreed. Anw after reading things like what tunicate and choose a display name have said, i'm gg for a fowlr tank for now and dropping a 6 ft tank idea and going prolly for a 2-3ft tank instead. Thx for the advice guys. (: Helpful practical info. (:

• SRC Member

Rather than ask for unwanted old equipment, why don't you state a budget range that you are comfortable with so the bros can advise u better?

If you ask me, the equipment u have stated (wavemaker, lights and protein skimmer) does sound like you are asking for everything to start a tank.

• Moderators

Please do not have the wrong idea people are discouraging the hobby here.

We are here to promote the hobby in a healthy way.

If i don't love the hobby, i would not have reef for more than a decade.

Some of the seniors here had been in the forum for a while so they are just giving their 2 cts.

Putting anyone down is definitely not their agenda.

Neither am I. But it doesn't help much if your first few posts in the forum is all about asking for unused equipments.

I'm sure there are many in this forums who will not hesitate to pass on their unused equipment or even sold for a token.

They just want to ensure what they given landed on good hands.:thumbsup:

Personally, i had encountered several people who had taken me for a ride. But i'm not saying u r one of those.:peace:

Tom

Yup by giving us an idea of your budget, we'll help u plan it out :thumbsup:

I dont understand why some must insult just to tell him that its not realistic to get a 6ft. He has some experience so i belief that his budget has been thought through.

This guy obviously isnt a leech, ive met him and hes a student. LOL

• SRC Member

Hmmm okay I understand most of your concerns that prolly I might be asking for the equipment but later eventually either

dumping the whole idea of setting up an aquarium or worst still just leaving the items in the lurch after getting them. I assure you

that I am really determined to set up a tank now, prolly not reef but a fowlr. I want a sustainable and meaningful project so I'll definitely

put in every effort to make it work. My previous nano worked. A tank system might prove to be a tad different but I won't give up

so easily. So yeah. This is my true intention.

• SRC Member

Check out the budget setups in the member tank sections. Students with limited budgets can still keep v. nice tanks. I'm not a fan of free lunches, not to the extent of asking for all the essentials. So instead, here's my 2 cents:

Camp in Pasar Malam section. Good deals being cleared at bargain prices come and go frequently. As a student, I did not have $ but i had lots of time and with determination, things still can be done. No money to travel? backpack, take overnight coaches, stay in hostels, kebabs form my staple food. Same with this hobby, camp in pasar malam, be patient and you will be rewarded with excellent deals. You can check out this skimmer:

Since you are thinking of keeping FOWLR, don't need to get fanciful, high powered lights. Any of those cheap chinese brands you can find in our LFSes will suffice if you don't want to wait in pasar malam. Same for wavemaker n pumps, many reasonably priced products out there in the market. Some say not as reliable as the branded ones, but if I die die want to drive car and only have $ to drive QQ, it still gets me from point A to B, most of the time.

Fans to cool your tank, and auto top up everyday using your hand. Save more $$, upgrade when your budget allows.

• SRC Member

Hmmm okay I understand most of your concerns that prolly I might be asking for the equipment but later eventually either

dumping the whole idea of setting up an aquarium or worst still just leaving the items in the lurch after getting them. I assure you

that I am really determined to set up a tank now, prolly not reef but a fowlr. I want a sustainable and meaningful project so I'll definitely

put in every effort to make it work. My previous nano worked. A tank system might prove to be a tad different but I won't give up

so easily. So yeah. This is my true intention.

Im sure you can probably save up enough to upgrade the equipments.. and its actually good to see more student reefers :) good luck :peace:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

Young Bro.. u can also try Arofanatics.com webby. Those guys selling cheap used equipments.. :friends:

My Simple Tank Spec

Main Tank LPS and Softies 4x2x2.5ft

Sump Tank 2.5x1.5x1.5ft with lots of LR

Remote Sump Tank 2x1x1ft dsb refugium with chaeto, mangroves and Gracilaria curtissae macroalgae

DIY LED with 6x 3W Blue and 6x 3W White main tank light

DIY LED with 1x 3W Blue and 1x 3W Red refugium light

DIY LED 1x 1W Blue moonlighting

Now convert to skimmerless Tank

1 x Rio 14HF Return Pump

1 x SunSun JVP-102 wavemaker

1 x 2x1 vertical Algae Turf Scrubber with 2x 10W LED Warm White

• SRC Member

Btw r u still keen in the FOC sump tank u asked for???

After asking me whether the sump can fit into a cab or something like that u didn't mention about how u wanna go about collecting it already???

I've been waiting for your call or SMS but till now no respond.

Let me know. Thanks!

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

@comycus wow okay! Thx for your advice! Really helpful! I'll definitely try working in that way! Yeah I think it's also better cos then

I'd feel a greater sense of ownership over my tank! (: thx. Time to start attacking pasar malam sales haha!

@gobyluver okok thx for the recommendation bro! :D

• SRC Member

After reading all your responses, i really do have alot to think about. Honestly i do have an idea on how expensive rearing marine fishes can be because i had a 22 gallon nano before until i had to shift hse then my mum gave it away. But now i'd like to try at it again because i miss the experience i had then when i had a fowlr tank. But this time im prolly not trying a nano I'd prefer a bigger and more rectangular tank which allow my fishes more free swim space and also i'd like the experience to set up the sump and etc on my own.

Maybe i didnt put it out correctly in my first post. I am a student reefer who has a budget, not a big one but at least i have a budget but what some of you guys are making it sound like is i have NO MONEY at all and am begging for everything to start a tank. FYI i am only asking for help so as to reduce whatever cost of my aquarium i can reduce possibly (as many of you already know i'm a student reeefer thats why i'm trying to cut equipment cost as much as possible) and moreover i am only asking for things from people who think they do not need their old aquarium equipment anymore and rather than just let it rot at home, they may as well give it to someone who'll maximise the utility of the equipment. And whatever i cannot get here i'll still go and buy it with my OWN MONEY. And also, PLEASE.. just because i ask for unwanted equipment that could aid me in my aquarium setup it doesnt mean i'll keep asking for stuff from others. I still want to have a sense of ownership over the tank. Live stock, live rocks, corals, and most other things i will get by myself with my OWN MONEY.

And as for maintenance yeah of course it'll be expensive, for eg salt, electricity, food etc. I know all that. BUT I'm both financially and mentally prepared for that. Moreover maintenance is a gradual thing. Money can be saved up along the way. Not like equipment costs. Many things you have to get at the start whioh doesnt give you much time to save especially if i'm planning to start soon before the price of things start to rise further.

So i hope rather than shoving hard facts down my throat, i think providing helpful information or the actual help itself like choose a display name, nanoreefer and some other people have done, will not only help encourage me to set up a realistic, maintainable and proper tank but also allow me to reap the fruits of my sowing.

Anw last notes, i am not asking for free stuff or pressurizing or manipulating anyone to give me free items because i cant afford them. I am merely asking for unused items which could go a long way in helping someone like me since the items are no longer needed. NOTE THIS.

my dear, pls dont be offenced as the senior is just trying to show u the pro and con of having a big tank. They all mean well and i think u can understand that. And dont sound so offense when other are already trying to help u.

try Ah Bxxg farm, u can get some good and cheap item from there too.

• SRC Member

Btw r u still keen in the FOC sump tank u asked for???

After asking me whether the sump can fit into a cab or something like that u didn't mention about how u wanna go about collecting it already???

I've been waiting for your call or SMS but till now no respond.

Let me know. Thanks!

Hijacking bro ducados, TS u still collecting the thermometer and skimmer body too? After i reply your SMS also got no reply from u.. Busy gathering all the equipements? Gotta update bros here when you collecting the goodwill items.. Cos many of us busy w work family at times..

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen