My simple and humble tank

Digiman

Currently a poor student who cant afford high end sophisticated equipment to start a nice tank but yet at the same time cant resist the temptation of possessing a reef tank of my own, so here is the birth of my tank which i focus to keep everything simple, i.e. a skimmer, T5 lights, a DIY sump box, plus a 3 feet tank. Well that also mean i cant maintain a jam-packed SPS tank (which i yearn to hav after looking at all the successful reefers tank here) or a high bioloaded tank (which i reli wish to see schools of swimming fishes), hence a combination of half soft half LPS tank with no more than 8 fishes currently (though i sort of am confident to add more in time to come). The details will fill in slowly if i can find the time to balance between my school work and hobby and part time work (in order to sustain the hobby). Hopefully when i'm more financial qualified, i'll work towards the gorgeous tanks that so many reefers here hav. :)

post-10328-1202472728.jpg

• SRC Member

wow .. those fish must have cost more than ur tank itself T_T ..

nice FTS !! good job .

6x2x2.5 FOWLR

Skimmer - Recirculating Custom Beckett Fr - Skimz Fr Return - OR6500/1262 Wavemaker - Tunze 6060 x 2 Light - 2x5ft FL Blue+White

Chiller - CL650

4x4x2 SPS

Skimmer - DeltecAP851 Fr - Skimz FR Return - OR6500 Wavemaker - 2xTunze wavebox +Ts24 Light - 3x250w MH + 8 ATi t5

CR - Deltec pF601s Chiller - Arctica Titanium Commercial Chiller

3.5x2x2 REEF

Skimmer - HnS150-2001 Fr - Skimz Fr Wavemaker - Tunze Ts 24 Return - 1262 Lights - Solite 2x150W MH + 4 Ati T5 CR - Skimz CR NR - Nr1000 Chiller - Arctica Titanium 1/5

wow .. those fish must have cost more than ur tank itself T_T ..

nice FTS !! good job .

Haha tat's true, i found the plain tank which is chucked at the back of the shop and after a bargain got it cheap from the LFS, and ya the wrasses each cost more than twice the tank's price. But it's worth it, i rather pool in the money to get a few fishes i reali like then to spend wantonly on many fishes which cost much less that i may grow sick of after a while. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Nice tank! I too have a tight budget, and would prefer more cost effective equipment than big brands. Always been trying to strike a balance between good equipment at affordable prices. Care to share how long you've had this tank and your maintenance regime? :)

beautiful fishes =)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

I'll detail on the equipments on next posts, but now let me list down the fishes in the main tank so i can keep count of the number of fishes i adding:

1) Lineatus wrasse female

2) Flame wrasse

3) Royal pencil wrasse (Pseudojuloides severnsi)

4) Royal Gramma

5) Hologymnosus rhodonotus (pic shown)

6) Rainford's goby (a difficult fish, only eat hair algae at back of tank, but lucky still survive till now, 2 months current)

7) Green Mandarin goby (another difficult fish for me, hardly feeding, sunken stomach and jump out of tank twice, but surprised me to be still alive for 2 months)

8) Yellow head jawfish

This is juvenile Hologymnosus rhodonotus. pic shown is what i previously updloaded for id. Beside it is a rainford's goby (or court jester goby).

I got this fish (with no knowledge of it at all) because it resembles the peppermint hogfish, but sad to realise that it is nothing like the latter, and somemore the fish is not cheap (more than 4 red notes)!

In conclusion, always research on a fish before u buy..

Here is a paragraph feature on this group of fish (Hologymnosus) from Reefkeeping online magazine:

"It arrives as a small, little wrasse often very curious and aware of its tankmates and surroundings. "Surely it will do well," the hobbyist thinks, "it is cute and appears alert." What these fish eventually become, however, is anything but small and curious. Information about these "little guys" isn't easy to find. Of course, gathering information about them, as well as simply identifying them, is hindered by the presence of three different color varieties in each species. As a result, many local fish stores may not be able to offer accurate information regarding these wrasses' home aquarium care. As is often the case, the lack of quality information will result in an impulse purchase - one that would likely have been avoided if quality information had been readily available. And so, it is with a bit of hope that these fish will ultimately find their way into large aquariums featuring other large, carnivorous fish, that I'd like to present this article on the marine fish from the genus Hologymnosus, also called the "Ringed Wrasses.""

Soon to come will have to consider selling the fish to pple who keep fish only tank. Sob :(

post-10328-1202523872.jpg

• 1 year later...

Long time did not update my tank.... it has evolved into a bigger FOWLR after i got bored with corals and took an interest in non-reef safe fishes. but i have not posts any pics so this is the very first one (crosshatch trigger pair, non reef safe as will rearange your liverocks and crunch soft corals and sponges), lousy pic from hp. Will post better pics after i get back cam.

post-10328-1235179954.jpg

• Senior Reefer
Yes, but v mild and its on and off case. As long as it's still feeding healthily chances are it's ok so i'm not worried.

thats good. my MI still suffering from ich. but its feeding well. so...hoping for the best la