McNugget's Sea of Love

McNugget

Hi Kira,

According to what I have gathered, the normal rule of thumb for the flow rate is to use about 5-7 times of the tank's volume. Hence, it would mean that if my tank's volume is 300L, we would only need around 2000L/hr for the combined return pump and chiller pump. The combined flow rate must synchroize with the efficiency of the skimmer. Running it at 1264 as return sounds a little too overkill. The skimmer may not be able to skim all the water passing through it efficiently.

As the return pipes are less complex and shorter, running the compact 3000 wouldn't lose much of the flow rate. The chiller return has longer distance to cover, and more 90 degree elbows, so we are using a stronger pump, ie 1260.

I am still in the learning process, based on my understanding from my bf, thats the reason why we are using Ehiem1260 as the chiller pump, and Compact3000 as the return pump directly to the main tank.

When we say head lost, it refer to the height of the outlet and the extra energy that the pump needs to overcome the gravity pull to push the water to that height. In this case, my concern is that the compact 3000, though gives a faster flow rate, but with the height of your outlet, might not provide faster flow. I remember that there's a website that let you calculate your actual flow rate based on you total distance of pipe, no. of bends and difference in height between pump and outlet.

5 to 7 times flow rate I think is what usually ppl recommend. I'm sure a lot of us actually reached 10 times flow rate. Though I must say this is the first time I'm hearing about synchronizing flow rate with skimmer efficiency. and when you say combine flow rate, does this mean that ur chiller outlet goes straight back into your main tank? Or back to sump?

Actually, as compare to flow rate, it depends on what you're keeping. I'm keeping SPS on my 3ft that's why I'm using 1264. But seriously speaking, even with a 1264 return pump alone, I find that the outlet of the return pump is only okie. Not really that strong. As for flow rate through chiller, it depends on what type of chiller you're using. As long as it's within manufacturer's recommendation, it's okie.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:groupwavereversed: :groupwavereversed: :groupwavereversed:

We have finally confirmed the layout with our tank maker! Here's it is.... :score:

The overview of the tank, sump and cabinet:

post-20148-0-56825200-1321363387_thumb.j

The layout of the main tank:

post-20148-0-98460700-1321363395_thumb.j

The layout of the sump:

post-20148-0-91417400-1321363404_thumb.j

Our tank specifications:

36” x 24” x 24” Tank (rimless)

• 12mm glass (Front & 2 side Crystal Clear glass)
  • Black silicone
  • With bottom brace , black silicone
  • Black oyama at back
  • External overflow w/black silicone backing (Tinted glass)

36” x 24” x 32” Cabinet (Flat Top)

• Black Glossy colour
    • 3”x2” solid Kapo wooden stand
    • Right side electrical compartment and side door (French cleat and magnetic clips)
    • Slow close hinges

26” x 20” x 15/20” Sump Tank

[*] Body 8mm glass, partition 6mm glass, clear silicone

[*] With PVC piping and fitting ( FIR union ball valve )

[*] 2 pcs 3mm transparent Acrylic divider (cut lines)

We are contemplating on using two pumps from the sump to the main tank- Ehiem 1260 and Ehiem Compact 3000 (Eheim 1260: 2400L/hr, Max head 3.7m. Eheim Compact 3000: 3000L/hr, Max head 3m). One pump will be from the sump to the chiller and then back to the main tank, the other will be from the sump back directly to the main tank.

Based on the above drawings of the pipings and the specs of the pumps, is placing Ehiem 1260 as the chiller pump and Ehiem Compact 3000 as the pump to the main tank the right choice???

Senior reefers please advise! :ThanxSmiley:

The cosy lil corner of the house where the tank will be placed..... We have already shifted the old cabinet to make way for our new 'Investment'. :P

post-20148-0-61665200-1321366435_thumb.j

Can you guys see the masking tape???? It is exactly where we will place our tank!!!!!

Looks kinda squeezy now, but we will be shifting the sofa further to the left...

hey sis y u do the overflow box on the back instead of the side?

dun think got much space based on your photo...

run an interconnecting piping with isolating valve between the main and aircon pump as backup for either.

every1 seems to be more interested in the bf though...

Shld be fine, check from the masking tape.. only 4" needed base on her design..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Hi sis from your picture the chiller should be outside, need to take note has to leave a 1ft clearance behind the chiller for optimum performance. =)

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

The cosy lil corner of the house where the tank will be placed..... We have already shifted the old cabinet to make way for our new 'Investment'. :P

post-20148-0-61665200-1321366435_thumb.j

Can you guys see the masking tape???? It is exactly where we will place our tank!!!!!

Looks kinda squeezy now, but we will be shifting the sofa further to the left...

seems to me the tank will be in your place instead of your bf's place huh.... :lol::lol:

l7304smr.jpg

hey sis y u do the overflow box on the back instead of the side?dun think got much space based on your photo... run an interconnecting piping with isolating valve between the main and aircon pump as backup for either.every1 seems to be more interested in the bf though...

Hi Bro,

One side of the tank is facing the wall, so we thought it is good to place the overflow box at the back to 'hide' it instead of the side. There is suficient space for it as the wall is uneven (One side is further in).

The interconnecting piping sounds like a good idea as a backup for either of the pumps! :welldone: But if thats the case, there will be more piping involved and water will need to travel longer distance, more 90deg elbow. So one pump may not be strong enough for the two return pipes, isnt it so??

Hi sis from your picture the chiller should be outside, need to take note has to leave a 1ft clearance behind the chiller for optimum performance. =)

hey Bro, yup the chiller will be at the balony (which is at the right side, behind the wall) plenty of space for it!! :pinch:

Got of course!! :yahoo:

Those who get it right can come visit our beautiful tank! :P

Hey siang, it will be at his place not mine! -_-

Who pay the bill does matter.....LOL !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

Wonderful to see another reef couple joining this hobby, can see that you and your bf already receiving very warm welcome from all corners in SRC :thumbsup:

Am very impress with your planning schematic, seems like you or bf in engineering field ?

Having a reef tank is surely exciting. But the maintenance chore will come in no time, be it placement ( or even taking out) of wave makers, cleaning of glass panel and siphoning of detritus could be make easier with careful planning and placement of your tank location. Talk to some of the seniors ppl like Eniram, Wilson who already has gone through the baptism of salt water :upsidedown: as they will give you valuable advise in setting up new system. Because once your tank is filled and stocking begins, it's very unlikely you will get a chance to shift the tank. So my advice is give yourself ( or your bf ) ample space for manoeuvrings.

Also, do plan ahead for some infrastructure such as piping for water change / auto water top-off etc well ahead of the tank placement. This will help to relieve you and your bf much work in the maintenance work and you will get to enjoy your reef tank more.

Once again, welcome to the family :friends:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

Hi there, welcome to the reefing community.

You're most welcome to ask us questions, what i've learnt in reefing is constant sharing of experiences. From there we can pick each other up when we feel jaded or to share the happiness and joy of reefing.

Thank you Cedric, credit should go to you and all the other reefers out there. We won't be here today if not for the meet ups and sharing with us your vast knowledge and experiences.

Don't mind me asking you a silly question but any chance you and ketchup related? Seems to me that ketchup and Mcnuggets are somehow related. Also don't tell me your bf nick is quarter pounder?