Kaykay's DIY-approach nano setup. 2'x1.5'x1.5'.

kaykay

• SRC Member

Thanks bro.

I was using the 3+, and faced micro bubble problems.

Any idea if this skimmer has the same issues?

It still release micro bubble cos im using it.I hv no bubble issues cos i place it on my sump tank.

My decomm 4ft FOWLR

Any suggestions for an in-sump skimmer that fits a footprint of 14cm x 18cm?

Or u can try Skimz Monzter E series SM121 or Tunze DOC skimmer. Shd be able to fit in your sump.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

No problem, actually I also has the same problem. I currently using BM Nac3+ cos it has a small footprint. This skimmer doesn't seem able to skim out any skimmate for my tank at the moment.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

• SRC Member
No problem, actually I also has the same problem. I currently using BM Nac3+ cos it has a small footprint. This skimmer doesn't seem able to skim out any skimmate for my tank at the moment.

When I was using the BM nac 3+, it was able to foam properly ONLY under perfect conditions.

Whenever I fed, or when I dipped my hands in the water, the foaming stops immediately and micro bubbles crept into the display.

Hence, the skimmer stops working for an hour or two every day. Lol.

• SRC Member

When I was using the BM nac 3+, it was able to foam properly ONLY under perfect conditions.

Whenever I fed, or when I dipped my hands in the water, the foaming stops immediately and micro bubbles crept into the display.

Hence, the skimmer stops working for an hour or two every day. Lol.

That happens to all skimmers, regardless of brand.

When you feed or place your hands in, the surface tension of the water changes, affecting foam production.

• SRC Member

Oh.. Well.. I wonder if I'll look extremely stupid to buy a similar skimmer to replace the nac 3+ that I sold away.. Haha..

Didn't read many positive reviews on the tunze, and the smallest skimz model is still too big for my ios.. Haiz..

Oh.. Well.. I wonder if I'll look extremely stupid to buy a similar skimmer to replace the nac 3+ that I sold away.. Haha..

Didn't read many positive reviews on the tunze, and the smallest skimz model is still too big for my ios.. Haiz..

The Skimz monster SM121 can't fit in? Thot it's footprint is 15.3 by 14cm? Yours is 14 by 18cm? Or u can use hang on models like Deltec MCE300.

• SRC Member

The Skimz monster SM121 can't fit in? Thot it's footprint is 15.3 by 14cm? Yours is 14 by 18cm? Or u can use hang on models like Deltec MCE300.

Thanks bro. I was searching late last night, and must have been affected by the sleepy eyes. I thought I read 15.7x18cm. Haha.

Thanks I'll go AM to take a look this weekend.

• SRC Member
How about air stone skimmer? Someone is selling a Berlin airlift. Well can try that?

Thanks bro. I don't really fancy airstone skimmers. I'm lazy to change the wooden airstone every now and then. Lol.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

• SRC Member

Tunze is fine, just very sensitive to water level, like numerous in-sump models

• SRC Member

Bro, skimmers are more efficient when cleaned regularly, haha. I got a hob to let go if you want, haha.

Thanks bro. But no, thanks. Not looking at hob models.

Seriously considering either the nac3.5, or the sm121.

One of them is the price of 2 of the other. How how??

• SRC Member

Thanks bro. But no, thanks. Not looking at hob models.

Seriously considering either the nac3.5, or the sm121.

One of them is the price of 2 of the other. How how??

think if you get a 3.5, you might still have the same problem as the only difference is that 3.5 is cone shape while 3+ is cylindrical. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

UAS update 07.09.2012.

I'm truly delighted to share about this device.

I usually wash my UAS every 7 days.

But due to my holidays last week, I missed a weekend cleaning. So when I came back to town on a Thursday, I kan cheong quickly washed it.

You should see the delight on my face when I saw this.

post-3628-13470262015523_thumb.jpg

Macro algae grows over the micro algae when you give it more time! This is a 12-days growth.

Hence from now on, I'll only wash my UAS every 2 weeks instead of 1. Hahaha. Less work too.

Talk about sustainability.

No casualties after 8 days of neglect. (only thing done was light feeding daily by my mom-in-law).

Growth on corals observed. Monti cap grew an extension arm. 2 baby zoas polyps popped. Fishes seem fatter and bigger. My 4 pink tube works never opened so beautifully.

Best part is I've gone skimmerless for more than a month already.

No I'm slowly adding in livestock to test the limits of this UAS.

I've not tested the parameters yet though. Later.

• SRC Member

Feed your tangs.. hahha

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2