Expert advices required

I bought 2 orange colour coral (dunno the name) feels hard to touch but looks spongy. After setting in the tank for about 1 month they started to die slowly by means of polyps coming off from the whole coral.

I remove the parts that fall out when water change but I left the stone where the roots are in the sand. What should I do? I have 1 more dying should I remove before it died altogether or leave it? Please Help...!!!

You should seriously research before you buy things that you don't even know their feeding/stocking/lighting requirements.

We have no idea what you are talking about as you can't ID the coral yourself. Perhaps you may want to post a photo for us to help you?

It's worse than buying a bra and wearing it for a day before realising that you are male and have no particular need for it. Or installing a fireplace in your home when you live in the tropics. :)

Sorry if I sound harsh... but one of the aims of the reef club is to promote responsible reef-keeping and we don't encourage newbies to go into this hobby blindly. We are very willing to help but you have to first help yourself, okie? :rolleyes:

At your disposal,

AT

• SRC Member

Sun coral?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
I bought 2 orange colour coral (dunno the name) feels hard to touch but looks spongy. After setting in the tank for about 1 month they started to die slowly by means of polyps coming off from the whole coral.

I remove the parts that fall out when water change but I left the stone where the roots are in the sand. What should I do? I have 1 more dying should I remove before it died altogether or leave it? Please Help...!!!

Sponges come in orange and fall apart sort of the same way.

I bot them before I get to know of this site and shop owner (where I got tank and equipment from) said its ok to keep.

And its already been a month in my tank when it starts to die. Now its too late it disintergrated. I hav no pic to show juz some remains and rubble.

I tried to find them online but just cant find info on them.

I learnt my lesson... Its a painful thing to see.

Hmmm.... well, try looking at pictures online and see if you can ID the specimen you bought.

At least, once past that step.. it will be easier to find out the species' requirements... and for us to advise you.

B)

• SRC Member

Sounds like a sponge or softie disintergrating.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

My experience is "DUN LISTEN TO LPS" or perhap give them a discount on what they says.... they will most likely tell you that all coral are easy to keep in your tank.

my advise to you is do your own research...it really sad to see coral dying :angry::(

• SRC Member

i got a sponge kind of coral also... it of cause look like a sponge, i read something about it saying, once it is contact with air, even transfering out off the water. The 'sponge' will die sortly, due to the opening cells are blocked with air inside the pores of the 'sponge'. Maybe my 'sponge' is not your refering to? But mine is orangy colour, look abit weird sort, with alot of rough surface, but whn i touch it.. i feel tinkling. Forgotten the name of it also..