Cheato

How to know its growing? i've got some part of the cheato with white strands on it? Are these dying?

Need to manually remove the white strands part. It's dying and releasing nutrients back to your tank.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Light is most important, best with white light that is 12K.

With moderate water movement to circulate the green ball ( ball can rotate so all surface will have light) and a little help of iron element for healthy growth and most important must have nutrients to grow big big!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

need very strong light. i started with those compact fluorescents tried 25w to 100w 6000 kelvin but no success. then decided to use leds 3w x 10 10000 kelvin. now it is growing like crazy :-)

Think its the colour temp that's impt?:) im using philips 3led cool white light for a photo period of 10hrs.:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

• SRC Member

CHeatos is to reduce nitrate. But if I have a 1 ft tank, so i really need cheatos? There is no space in the IOS so if necessary to ppl put in the tank?

Not enough space for it to grow to be efficient nutrient exporter also. Better to have good husbandry like water changes and not overfeeding.:)

• SRC Member

Not enough space for it to grow to be efficient nutrient exporter also. Better to have good husbandry like water changes and not overfeeding. :)

Thx for the advice, think the set up will have 1 pair of clown, 1 shrimp or 2. emperia (actually i dunno wat fish) very colorful green and blue.

• SRC Member

Thx for the advice, think the set up will have 1 pair of clown, 1 shrimp or 2. emperia (actually i dunno wat fish) very colorful green and blue.

Welcome!:)

Think its the colour temp that's impt?:) im using philips 3led cool white light for a photo period of 10hrs.:)

i think not so important but really need strong. mine i make sure the light can still reach the sand bed even the chaeto gets thicker. i placed the leds 4 inch from water surface and using mixed of 80 and 60 degree optics.

• SRC Member

i think not so important but really need strong. mine i make sure the light can still reach the sand bed even the chaeto gets thicker. i placed the leds 4 inch from water surface and using mixed of 80 and 60 degree optics.

Ok....:D

• SRC Member

This is what I experimented.

Par38 9 leds, 1 Watt each, 6 blue n 3 white.

Dymax pl15watt. Notice the difference. I added the dymax around 2wks ago. The area subjected to the pl becomes like this.

20130102_111822_wonder.jpg

Just the par38 bulb. The cheato is still growing fast. The area not subjected to direct light didn't die off.

20130102_111840_wonder.jpg

Pic of cheato growing under.

20130102_111943_wonder.jpg

So I think enough light will do. Flow is more important. Though with led saves power, no harm add more light. It seems light spectrum of pl or white encourage cynao.. .

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

Thanks littleburger for your photos. It does help a lot. As for the water flow, do you add wavemaker or just through the water flow from the sump to the main tank? Thanks in advance.

I didn't add any wave maker. Just water from main tank to sump. Initially if yr cheato size is small, it might get sweep away, out of position of the light. I tie a thread to 2 small rocks n weigh down the cheato. After it has increased its mass, it will not get sweep away, then I removed the anchoring rocks.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• 4 weeks later...

I think 12000k does not work well with chaeto... I had previously use 12000k T5HO 24W tubes to grow it, and it will turn white and soft.. after I change to 6400K 13WPL only, the growth skyrocket and they never become white again... So I believe the colour temperature is the important factor here.. I only have very low flow going through.. But since my one is not tumbling, I will every 3 or 4 days turn it the other side to let it have light all around..