Need a volunteer

Hi guys... I need a volunteer to help me put up a complete listing of LFS/LFF in this particular forum so that anyone who needs to find out more info on how to get there via public transport or by private vehicles/get their contact numbers and addresses etc can find it in an organised manner.

Use to have some info on some LFS but its incomplete and I prefer to start all over again.

The format of the detailed listings will be as follows:

Example:

Thread title: Info On XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Pte Ltd, Address, location map

Inside the thread:

Address : XXXX XXXX Rd Singapore XXXXX

Telephone : XXXX XXXXX

Opening hours:

Location map: links to the local roadmaps...? Please give proper credit mention to avoid potential copyright issues.

Directions using public transport:

Directions when driving there on your own:

Of course, everyone's contribution to the completion of full information would be appreciated!

But the volunteer has to put everything in place and edit out nonsense. :)

Thanks!

So... who's gonna volunteer? :D

AT

• SRC Member

Hi AT,

I'm a newbie to this forum, just started reefing couple of weeks back, though I have prior freshwater and marine fish-only experience. I don't mind helping out here as my contribution the the sg reefing community... :P

With regards to your list of info to be included, i have some questions and suggestions...

1) anybody has the LFS database (at least name and address) in the first place? Actually, I know of another sg portal with quite a huge database, including freshwater and LH shops too. don't know if it's ok to mention here. any chance of contacting them to share info or are we starting from scratch?

2) Location : with a postal code, the exact position will be marked by a star on stretdirectory.com. think they're the best in terms of map details. best if we can link to their site. but more than simply giving credit mention, we also need to contact them for permission first.

3) directions using own transport : if we can get the streetdirectory.com link, then the map would be self-explainatory and we don't need much verbal description here, which can be quite subjective and not understood by all.

4) directions using public transport : similarly, with the map, just the bus info to the surrounding main roads will do.

5) I suggest we can also include pictures of the storefront or whatever ulu road leading to the farm :P

finally, must it be in a thread form? or could we just post an excel spreadsheet somewhere? easy to update too and sort in alphabetical order...

btw, this thread very quiet hor... :( maybe everyone skipped this because it is pinned...

cheers,

porc

1) anybody has the LFS database (at least name and address) in the first place? Actually, I know of another sg portal with quite a huge database, including freshwater and LH shops too. don't know if it's ok to mention here. any chance of contacting them to share info or are we starting from scratch?

Oh, this info is already in a thread somewhere... in an excel sheet... I think it is version 1.3 or something. You will get most of the info there.

2) Location : with a postal code, the exact position will be marked by a star on stretdirectory.com. think they're the best in terms of map details. best if we can link to their site. but more than simply giving credit mention, we also need to contact them for permission first.

I hear streetdirectory has recently sued a few businesses for using their images in their websites, for location purposes. I don't want to be in this state. We have to ask them permission.... as I think they prefer people to surf to their site and they can charge their clients for advertising exposure due to the traffic there.

3) directions using own transport : if we can get the streetdirectory.com link, then the map would be self-explainatory and we don't need much verbal description here, which can be quite subjective and not understood by all.

You'll be surprised. If you been here long enough, you will still see a lot of people still asking for directions inspite of having road maps. We have a few threads where people post directions... and it has been helpful. I want this to be feature to help all hobbyists.

4) directions using public transport : similarly, with the map, just the bus info to the surrounding main roads will do.

Yup, that's the general idea. To put bus numbers for the roads nearby. But more info can also be contributed from reefers about how to take buses from the nearest MRT, interchange or landmark.

5) I suggest we can also include pictures of the storefront or whatever ulu road leading to the farm :P

That would be good also, again, contributions from reefers will add to the information gathered.

finally, must it be in a thread form? or could we just post an excel spreadsheet somewhere? easy to update too and sort in alphabetical order...

The logic of doing it in a thread format... a search will show up with the info and that people can add comments to it (photos, information contributed) ... so why put it in an excel sheet again? ;)

just cautioning: if you are including location maps in your LFS list...do be careful not to use the copyrighted ones....

Cant remember which one, but certain ministry(confi) has been suit for using the maps without proper authorisation.....and had to settle it outside court....

be careful...or SRC may get into trouble ;)

• SRC Member

i have the name, add, tell, and contact person

will that do ??

as for how to go there most of it i never been to also

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

the recent streetdirectory case was abt people who copied their maps and used it in their websites/brochures etc. streetdirectory also mentioned that they have allowed links to their site to those who seek their permission, sometimes for free too. We can ask them too since we are non-commercial...

ok... so let's get the ball rolling already... so we need to solicit reefer's contributions and approach streetdirectory...

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Has AT selected his volunteer for this assignment ? :eyebrow:

I found the Excel file that AT referred to, and would like to add on a new LFS that I use. LFS is Ang Lee Aquarium Trading in Ang Mo Kio.

I am updating the info in the other thread for LFS listing. :)

I hope you guys can take it and run with it without much supervision! ;) Just follow through my first post in this thread. Info should be clear enough!

So we have two volunteers?

• 1 month later...

I think we should all give Odi a GREAT BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE for his help in compiling the LFS Directory! :)

EXCELLENT WORK, DUDE!!!!! :bow::bow::bow: Well done!

My personal thanks too...

AT

• SRC Member
I think we should all give Odi a GREAT BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE for his help in compiling the LFS Directory! :)

AT

Thanx. Just doing what I can to help.

Will need everyone's help to keep it updated though. Hope fellow reefers benefit from it.

BTW, I PMed u regarding access to the RA forum. Any chance my requesst can be granted?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi all,

I have designed a very basic database of LFS in singapore and mounted it on my own server. Most of the entries were gleaned from this forum, especially from Odi's Excel contribution. (Thanks!)

It's found here:

http://reef.web-genesis.net/

This is strictly a voluntary effort, not a commercial one.

I hope you all will find it useful, and let me know how I can improve it. There are a lot of incomplete info, so I'll appreciate it if these are highlighted to me.

For those who LFS-hop a lot and want to add to the database , drop me a PM, so that I can give you access to database.

regards

• 4 years later...

AT

hi AT, may I know where I can find the spreadsheet?

i've been trying to locate the LFS list in the forum but can't seem to find it.

thanks in advance

• Join us on the largest Reefing community in Asia!

Sign up and share your reefing journey with us, make friends and get helps from the community .

• Topics

• Latest Update

1. 4

Wts lots of dry rock

2. 0

WTS 2FT CUBE TANKSET & 2x ORPHEK ICON COMPACT

3. 1

WTS: Clarisea SK5000 Gen 3

4. 0

Jual Obat Aborsi Di Kuta Bali Wa 0838-4800-7379 Obat Penggugur Kandungan Cytotec