PLANNING TO RESTART MT TANK

Due to super high nutrients level. Hence planning to convert to SPS tank. Seniors please advise and teach me how long is the quickest till i can start adding sps if i intend to restart?

Also mother making noise on my ugly tank. LOL

Tank and Equipments Used:-

Tank Size: 3x1.5x2

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Lighting: DE 36 Inch T5 Retrofit 6 x 39 Watts | 5 ATI Blue Plus & 1 ATI Special Blue.

Wavemaker: 1x WP-40 | 1x SUNSUN 5000ltr/hr

Skimmer: BUBBLE MAGUS C7

Skimz ideas FR: Running ROWAPHOS (FEEDER PUMP: RESUN 1000)

Enductor FR: Running NP Biopellet (FEEDER PUMP: AQUABEE 1000)

Chaeto in sump

~ Watching my tank matures and progressing day by day , gives me great satisfactory

Cheers!

Well, u got to learn how to keep your nutrients down first before taking on sps.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

If the reason for wanting to restart is to expect a shorter time required to get the tank "ready" for sps i think u will be better off learning to manage your present nutrient levels... Its a skill-set that is highly relevant and necessary in this hobby... Resetting will only give you a temporary felling of solving the problem... In time to come the issue will again compound and come after you...

:: just a noob ::

• SRC Member

agree with what jxlex says. Patience is the key to success. SPS = Stability Promotes Success ( learn that through RC)

there is no short cut in reefing. if your nutrient is high due to improper tank management, no number of times of resetting will help.

you can start again when you have acquired enough knowledge and is willing to invest time to read up, invest money on good equipment and most importantly be willing to learn; starting from the basic.

As i have mentioned earlier, start slow, with soft corals first as they are more forgiving.

no point wasting money. with a "i want to get started as quickly as possible" mentality, one is doomed to fail even before starting.

hope you heed the advise of other seniors here.

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen

Thankd slimymadness, i would change the mindset from now on! What if i put it in this way which is, what are the proper procedures in restarting?

Lighting: DE 36 Inch T5 Retrofit 6 x 39 Watts | 5 ATI Blue Plus & 1 ATI Special Blue.

Chaeto in sump

~ Watching my tank matures and progressing day by day , gives me great satisfactory

Cheers!

• SRC Member

You can reset and focus at least 6 months on good husbandry before trying out sps. Reason being you need a stable tank to keep sps. The 6 months please avoid buying fishes, just keep a few herbivores small fishes to tackle algae problem which is quite common during the first 6 months cycling period. IMO for sps, stable water parameters is number 1, any big fluctuations to your kH, Ph, temperature or phosphate level can cause your sps to stn or rtn. A dosing pump or CR is a good investment. Weekly water change and a good Skimmer will help in nutrients exporting. Second on the list would be flow, you need good random water flow. Will be a challenge if your tank is shallow and have a sandbed. 3rd on my list are lights, too strong a light can bleached your sps, too low a light will most likely result in brown sps.

Because sps are sensitive creatures, its worth while to invest in reliable equipment, stick to reputable brands like eheim, arctica, tunze or vortech.....etc

Drop a line if you have any queries, many nice reefers here will try to answer them.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

Due to super high nutrients level. Hence planning to convert to SPS tank. Seniors please advise and teach me how long is the quickest till i can start adding sps if i intend to restart?

Also mother making noise on my ugly tank. LOL

Take a photo of your current tank....we will give you some feedback. No tank is ugly.

• Like 1

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

Im planning to get a 3 channel marine magic dosing pump and dose mg, kh and cal. Or maybe i should just remove everything and let water cycle?

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

Bro spkentchai, my tank currently all corals dying from brownjelly all of a sudd. Thats what makes me have the urge to restart..

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

Thanks for all response. Appreciate it much...

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

Bro,

Go for it ! If u like it. Never try won't know.

There's always the chance tt you will fail but u can always start small with more forgiving sps. Then add more. The key is to know ur parameters and keep them stable by measuring and adjustin, also do a lot of reading.

As for fastest way to lower nutrients I will recommend Biopellets and GFO. When ur kh stable, nitrate below 5 phosphate 0.03. Can start to intro some cheaper frags to test water.

Just my 2 cents :)

Alright! Thanks for giving me the confidence once more bro weihsiang.

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

• SRC Member

Sorry, tagging along this thread as my query is similar.

If doing a tank reboot, would starting with Polyplab Reef-resh system and keeping up with dosing for 6 months before starting on the SPS be sufficient? This would be on a 322 running with a BM Curve 7 skimmer and filter bagged AC.

When switching systems from Biopellets to Prodibio, I made the mistake of removing my Biopellets too suddenly and experienced a nitrate spike. Now more than half my substrate is being covered with red hair algae. Prior to this, I had no issues keeping LPS and clams healthy and happy (I had 2 Maxima/Crocea clams, and very healthy Elegance, Hammer and Frogspawn). Testing my water every week, I find that even after 3-4 weeks, Calcium, Magnesium and kH still remain within normal parameters (kH 7-9, Mg 1400+, Ca 400-460). Could be my clams/LPS don't suck up so much nutrients. If I reboot the tank I intend to get a dosing pump to dose TLF 2 part. Current wc schedule is monthly due to the testing I did above, but will switch to once every 2 weeks if required after the reboot.

If I do the reboot (considering asking iwarna to help me redo the setup from scratch), I want to start things right. Will leave the tank in the dark to cycle for a month with BB additives like Brightwell Microbacter 7, then start up the skimmer and the Polyp-lab reef-resh system after 1 month. Due to space constraints (wife insists that the chiller must be inside the tank cabinet, so sump is very small), I won't be able to run a refugium or FRs for GFO. That's the reason I removed the Biopellets to switch to Prodibio system - to reduce clutter in the sump. I will be keeping my current livestock (only 5 fish) in a QT tank and introduce them into the rebooted tank only after cycling is completed. They will be introduced one at a time over the course of probably 1 month to prevent ammonia spike. The 5 fish are: 3" YT (algae control), 1.5" Percula, 3" Bipartatus leopard wrasse 2" normal red firefish and 2" Yasha goby. I may sell off all the fish except the YT and Percula though (wife has grown attached to these 2), if that is more advisable.

Appreciate comments and suggestions on my planned route of action :)

Vtec bro, my LPS are fine its just recently last week all keep getting the brown jelly..

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

Bro i see no point in u restarting leh. Ur tank seems absolutely fine to me. Mine really like disaster.

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

Hey bro! Youre back!! Hahaha! Why no point??

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

Anyway, may i know which is better? NSW OR SALT MIX? WHICH ONE IS BETTER IN TERMS OF CYCLING THE TANK FASTER?

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

• SRC Member

Hey bro! Youre back!! Hahaha! Why no point??

Imho i render most common problems can be rectified through proper understanding of the system, problem and solution.

A restart might be useful in cases of sever disease/pest out break, excessive use of medication (again might be able to fix with carbon) or in cases where we have to move our tanks location... Correct me if im wrong but i really cannot identify a good reason to do so...

Parameters unstable, many ways to stabilize them; algae out break, look into nutrient control; massive die offs, remove all existing livestock and look into the cause... Things dun happen without a reason and likewise a solution would most likely be present.

Restarting only brings about a short term illusion that everything is under control... Ultimately the same issue like nutrients, etc will come back again... If u do not learn to tackle them, i foresee a restart every now and then.

The nitrification process will always be present whether in an old system or new... Its the ability to recognise, understand and solve the problem that gives you the mileage to maintain a stable system...

Nonetheless, your tank your call... Im just sharing my 2 cents :)

This hobby may not be tough but i believe most would agree, to make any progress in it, u require a fair amount of dedication and patience. Have fun bro!

:: just a noob ::