Lemon's 2013 new build

yikai

Wow. This tank gonna be a goby theme? Looking forward to your introduction.

I love gobies myself but gosh the super gorgeous eviotas and trimmas are hard sought ><

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Dun bluff, you got the eviota sp which I reserved right? Hahaha..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

nope.

not a goby themed tank haha. gobies are great starter fish as they are hardy and have very low bioload. the tank can catch up to additions slowly this way.

gobies are beautiful but many are yes, difficult to obtain. and they need a dedicated small tank. many will disappear in a big tank.

Yah I agree on your last point. I have a hard time hunting my gobies in my 2ft lest to say a tank as big as yours.

And to think you're keeping a bunch of Priolepis, that's taking hunting gobies to the next level keke.. but I find keeping griessingeri as the hardcore hunt. I never see him more than 5 times a month!!! :o

Dun bluff, you got the eviota sp which I reserved right? Hahaha..

Hahaha yeap. All thanks to your graciousness to let me have it.

It found itself a home around my rics. Hehe

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

MH arrives tomorrow. for now the tank is running on spare T5s.

It's been more than a week since water etc went in. Used NSW and matured cured live rocks. Added Two Little Fishies Biopronto and Fauna Marine Ultra Bio daily. great products for bacterial additives.

Because of the pre-existing matured rocks and active dosing of biological filtration cultures, there was negligible to no cycling. water parameters are as per normal, with the exception of Ca and Salinity being on the low side due to NSW.

With that, i introduced some inhabitants. All of them are small gobies which do not impact much in terms of bioload. At this stage, one must be careful not to overload the system with too much bioload. slowly and a little at a time.

here's a gorgeous shrimp goby that is very seldom seen.

Amblyeleotris latifasciata. I don't believe there's a common name for this goby. It is paired with Alpheus randalli, the red/white striped pistol shrimp.

The second photos shows the same fish in an agitated flared up posture with change in color and a widened mouth, as another goby was intruding its turf.

Gorgeous specimens. Never seen one in any lfs yet before.

• Senior Reefer
How did you pair up the pistols? Or did they came as a pair?
They came separately. It is said female pistols hav smaller claws but not sure how accurate. This was just luck. Anyway it is observed in the wild that same sex pairs of shrimps do sometimes share a burrow. If they don't try to kill each other immediately it should be fine. I'm going for a yasha pair + randall Pistol pair for my refugium next.

Haha. My tank now is barren except for sand, rocks and a few tiny gobies. if you like goby-shrimp interactions, a small 1ft tank or 2ft tank is enough. 2 inch sandbed, a rock, a goby and a shrimp and you're good to go!

Thanks! I was surprised all 4 worked out and are now living happily in a burrow.

I also have a Lotilia (White cap goby) + rubromaculatus shrimp pair. this tiny fish is living in my sump together with the japanese Bellae sandsifter goby.

In my display tank is also a pair of Priolepis boreus, and a lone Priolepis sp which i don't know the ID. next week i am going to take back my Priolepis nocturna (Fullmoon goby) from fuel. I passed it to him as a breeding pair before i decommed, but one of them died. the lone one is no longer useful for breeding so it's coming back to me.

too bad all these Priolepis gobies are too shy for any pictures.

Priolepis can be kept in the main tank even with boisterous fish. They can be interesting to watch in a big tank so u may consider adding other priolepis to main instead of refugium.

They came separately. It is said female pistols hav smaller claws but not sure how accurate. This was just luck. Anyway it is observed in the wild that same sex pairs of shrimps do sometimes share a burrow. If they don't try to kill each other immediately it should be fine. I'm going for a yasha pair + randall Pistol pair for my refugium next.

How about gg for other non burrowing gobies?

Some of my favourites are Coryphopterus, Elacatinus and Tryssogobius for your consideration.

I was nvr able to keep them becos of their need for a small peaceful setup.

• Senior Reefer
Priolepis can be kept in the main tank even with boisterous fish. They can be interesting to watch in a big tank so u may consider adding other priolepis to main instead of refugium. How about gg for other non burrowing gobies? Some of my favourites are Coryphopterus, Elacatinus and Tryssogobius for your consideration. I was nvr able to keep them becos of their need for a small peaceful setup.
I transferred my priolepis to my Display. Yes like my old nocturna they r interesting n will dart out for for food. Of coz I love elacatinus, tryssogobius etc. No stock for the species I want yet. I will get when I see. Terry, I had considered that. The lotilia has its own rock. At the other end of the fuge is a separate mound for another species.

Tryssogobius tough. They are abit like megastima (hope I spelt correctly). Hard to get them feeding.

Any tips for that?

I like elacatinus but no multifactus at the moment from ORA. Abit depressing :((

Coryphopterus are nice fishes. Just hope Joe/CF can continue bringing those Carribean ones in.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Tryssogobius I try before. Small mysis n cyclopeeze they eat easily.Aioliops megastigma eats too. But r very sensitive n spook easily.

Okay noted. I'll try if I see any of them.

Always like a good school of them hehe.

Anyway where did you get that rock of tube worms?

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer
Okay noted. I'll try if I see any of them. Always like a good school of them hehe. Anyway where did you get that rock of tube worms? Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Those r the tubeworms that grow in sumps n overflow boxes in v matured tanks. I harvested a handful from iwarna and used it to seed my refugium

• Senior Reefer

video.

Lotilia klausewitzi and Alpheus rubromaculatus.

the goby on its own is extremely shy. however the shrimp is very outgoing and the goby will follow the shrimp everywhere, even far out of their burrow. watch the video.

this is a very interesting goby and shrimp combo that is not like any stonogobiops or other more conventional shrimp goby pairs. i would reccomend this fish to anyone with a peaceful nano setup.

• Senior Reefer
What a nice pair. Have been waiting for a white cap goby for my nano. Pm me if you want to sell it.
Hi belle, Price has dropped considerabally now. And easier to obtain. Let you know when they come in.