More and more reefers are giving up reefing now..

• SRC Supporter

I think the cost of reefing is the main issue ... Compare with Hk..reefing is so much cheaper over there. .

I visited HK "goldfish Street" back in January when I was in HK for conference. The prices for LS is indeed cheaper, but the import branded equipment seemed to be more expensive.

But it is really easy to have all the fish shops located in the same street.... very competitive prices....

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Vitamin M .... This hobby once hooked is terrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

如有雷同,純粹巧合 I think the sustainability of a hobby, it needs people to appreciate your hobby. For a hobbyist alone to enjoy the hobby himself, he needs to be really devoted to the hobby. One spend an atomic bomb buying all the fanciful names corals but no one really cares abt tat, puts a dent on the pride of the hobby, if the initial purpose of the reefer is to let pple be envy of his collections.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

I believe reefing is a personal hobby..one must really enjoy admiring n looking at his/her tank, committed to maintain n upkeep the husbandry of the tank..to have ppl envy or not is extra as ppl have different views n perspectives.."one man's meat is another man's poison", "beauty lie in the eyes of the beholder"..to successfully keep a marine tank running really need a lot of vitamin M, not forgetting vitamin L oso..L?..LUCK..haha..

Cheers n happy reefing..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

Honestly I do not believe in luck. I just believe in hunting down the root cause and deploy mitigation to prevent similar mistakes occurring.

As in reefers giving up, I think as life changes, priorities changes. So can be vitamin M, T or change of hobby.

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

I just got started and learning... While there are some who stopped, I'm sure there are some who just started. :)

Welcome to reefing bro..this is life..no one can control life..one can only choose how to live one's life..cheers

@ 291213

• SRC Member

With regards to TIME, I'm wondering how much time is required daily to maintain 3x2x2ft reef tank?

Bro, no one can give a definite answer to this..imho, reefing is about admiring ur tank..to have time to relax in front of ur tank is more important than maintaining it..with nowadays technology, u won't need daily maintenance, some even won't need monthly maintenance..cheers n happy reefing

@ 291213

• SRC Member

Thanks bro kenyee, valid point. Just trying to gather feedbacks for reefers here which can be considered by new starter so we won't underestimate the commitment/time needed to maintain reef tank. :)

No worries bro..we r learning new things everyday..do read up n experience it urself..cheers n happy reefing..

@ 291213

• SRC Member

I think changing water is quite a chore, next time if in my new house going to plan a tap and an drain outlet near my tank. Keep bring water back n forth is a back breaking work.. Some more mine only 2 feet

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

• SRC Member

I think changing water is quite a chore, next time if in my new house going to plan a tap and an drain outlet near my tank. Keep bring water back n forth is a back breaking work.. Some more mine only 2 feet

Drainage near tank is good..no need to lay such a long hose, short hose will do..

Tap wise not much use..the important is how n where to mix n hold the water for wc..its best if got place to have a tank for mixing salt n water (like AM behind the shop like that)..big tank require more water, thus a lot of reefers need to mix a few times as no big container..otherwise, can engage ppl to wc at a cost.. :)

@ 291213

• SRC Member

Drainage near tank is good..no need to lay such a long hose, short hose will do..

Tap wise not much use..the important is how n where to mix n hold the water for wc..its best if got place to have a tank for mixing salt n water (like AM behind the shop like that)..big tank require more water, thus a lot of reefers need to mix a few times as no big container..otherwise, can engage ppl to wc at a cost.. :)

Thanks bro. Was thinking set up tap so and have the reservoir near by so can fill up e ato tank and mix salt near by as well

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0