illumnae's 422 adventure

illumnae

• SRC Member

After 8 years of keeping discus, including 6 years of wild discus tanks, it is time for a change. Was recommended against using my current 422 for a marine setup due to it being made of 10mm glass so I sold it to a friend at a good price (for him, haha!) and commissioned a new 422 using 12mm glass, with crystal glass front panel. My old 422 is the subject of another journal in this forum :D

Ordered the tank and almost all equipment via Iwarna and the entire setup process was awesome. They were very responsive and gave me good and practical advice, helping me save money where possible based on my needs. Despite my many questions and changes along the way, they never lost patience and kept up with the top quality service. Definitely highly recommended for anyone looking to do a new setup.

As I already have kind of a reef tank at home (my wife's) plus I dabbled in nano reefs previously, I decided to head a different direction this time and went with a predator comm tank instead, keeping as many different species of a certain type of predator as possible. What predator is this? Watch out for updates!

Specs are as follows:

Tank: 4x2x2 120 gallons with 40 inch sump (inc refugium compartment)

Return pump: Eheim 1264

Lights: Maxspect Razor 300W

Chiller: Hailea HS-90a with Eheim 1260 pump

Skimmer: Bubble Magus c9

Wavemakers: Jebao WP-40 x2 with twin controller

Sand: Caribsea Aragonite Reef Sand 80lbs

Hardscape: Aquaroche ceramic designer live rock

FR: Enductor FR-45 with Eheim Compact+ 2000 pump running NPX biopellets

Here's a picture of the tank now. I'm cycling it using ATM colony, Prodibio Biodigest, Microbe-Lift Nite-Out II and Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter 7. Will dose the latter 3 daily till cycle is complete.

PSX_20140607_214649_zps4jbh1utw.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro, nice tank with nice rock scape..depend on what predator fish u keeping, what size n how many..the rocks a bit too much if keeping big predator fish. Nevertheless, hope to see ur chio predator tank progressing soon..cheers n happy reefing

• Like 1

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

The predators I'm keeping got large, medium and small types. I'm collecting medium and dwarf types as in the long run the dwarf types can get eaten by the large types. This scape was specially designed by Iwarna with my potential inhabitants in mind, so the structures are meant to emulate the kind of structures theses guys like in nature. Enough clues yet?

Nice tank set up! May i ask whats the light setting on the razor you had on that picture? Seems like alot of shading on the lower portions, defeating the rock work / platforms at the lower tank. Seems like only 4 or 5 areas getting normal amount of light

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

bro! nice to see you back! your equipments sounds good for SPS dominated leh!

Haha bro, I just get good enough equipment setup for anything, then can easily change projects anytime without having to get new equipment. Its definitely overkill for a predator tank.

The rocks are nice,guessing lion or frog fish?

Yes! One of the above

Nice tank set up! May i ask whats the light setting on the razor you had on that picture? Seems like alot of shading on the lower portions, defeating the rock work / platforms at the lower tank. Seems like only 4 or 5 areas getting normal amount of light

Switched the lights to max for the photo. Why does the shading defeat the rock work? Depends on the purpose of the rock work ma. My purpose is a predator tank for crepuscular predators so for me, the shading is ideal. As mentioned previously, the rock work was specially scaped with the tank inhabitants in mind :)

Switched the lights to max for the photo. Why does the shading defeat the rock work? Depends on the purpose of the rock work ma. My purpose is a predator tank for crepuscular predators so for me, the shading is ideal. As mentioned previously, the rock work was specially scaped with the tank inhabitants in mind :)

Arhhh! ok! That explains alot bro! Than it shouldn't be an issue. With a 300w maxspect lightset....thought u had plans in keeping corals, i guess its like you mention, flexibility to switch in future :thumbsup:

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Bad habit of mine la,like I mentioned to bro Evo. I tend to just set up "once and for all". Buy the best I can afford now and next time can easily switch projects with no hassle. I also have 2 freshwater 2ft dwarf cichlid biotope tanks running razor 8000K 120w literally at 10% power. Just in case I switch the tanks to planted I can just do it without upgrading gear. I may still put some corals in to colour uo the tank as the predators are reef safe. Im toying between that or adding butterflyfish as tankmates for colour. See how, but its definitely not a reef themed tank.

Nice setup... Rock on the left looks unstable, wondering how you secure it...
Bro, He's using aquaroche designer rocks. The whole rock is shaped like this.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

The predators I'm keeping got large, medium and small types. I'm collecting medium and dwarf types as in the long run the dwarf types can get eaten by the large types. This scape was specially designed by Iwarna with my potential inhabitants in mind, so the structures are meant to emulate the kind of structures theses guys like in nature. Enough clues yet?

Nice bro..the stages look r good for frogfish..cheers

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

No worries, everyday u learn something new when u reef.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

• SRC Member

Time for the grand unveiling...here's one of the stars of the show, currently in QT: Pterois mombasae!

20140607223756_IMG_2831_zpsuoubwuzx.jpg

I currently have 3 species in QT, 1 species on order for delivery this week and suppliers helping me look out for the last 3 species common to the hobby. Hope to be able to keep all 7 species and maybe more in future!

• SRC Member

Yup! Lion fish are reef safe since they don't touch corals, clams etc. However, any crabs or shrimp you may keep are touch and go and may be consumed by the lions at any time. Some have had success with cleaner shrimp, some haven't :)

Time for the grand unveiling...here's one of the stars of the show, currently in QT: Pterois mombasae! 20140607223756_IMG_2831_zpsuoubwuzx.jpg I currently have 3 species in QT, 1 species on order for delivery this week and suppliers helping me look out for the last 3 species common to the hobby. Hope to be able to keep all 7 species and maybe more in future!
Nice lionfish.