Black Sea Cucumber

• SRC Member

Usually eaquarist brings them in or maybe you can give them a call to request for one. Got mine from them too and seems this one likes rock climbing as well. Whats amazing is they never knock down any of my corals even how close it gets to them..... :D Currently climbing on the front glass instead of the sandbed but goes down when it's hungry..... :lol:

post-25-1077758786.jpg

• SRC Member
Thinking of gettin one more to clean up my sand bed ..

current one seem to pick up rock climbing hobby after moving over to new tank since NOV ... always not on sand bed .. :(

mine does rock climbing ###### glass climing ###### sand suck all in 1..heheheh great fella... keeps my sandbed sparking clean.. :)

• SRC Member

1. Like to help find out from the bros here whether the black sea Cucumber is reef-safe ?

2. I heard that they will still release toxin when stressed, is this true ?

3.Will the toxin as lethal as those sea apple ?

4.Heard from some that their fishes were dead after comsume the 'eggs' produced by the sea cucumber ! Anyone has experiences this ?

5.Is sea cucumber = sea slug ?

• SRC Member

If they can climb rock and up glass walls instead of staying on the sandbed, then its not so safe as one of these days it will go for the intake of circulation powerheads. :( Tho my powerheads are away from rocks but if I get one that can climb glass walls, hmmmm..better think twice. My red anemone had an encounter with the circulation powerhead 3 months back..tho it miraculously survived . :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

the black sea cucumbers are reefsafe and they don't do any harm....some say that when you lift them out of the water they will release a sticky attachment but none of that is true though. They're peaceful animals and don't disturb the reef. Fishes will eat anything but they do know whats tasty or not..... :D

• SRC Member
1. Like to help find out from the bros here whether the black sea Cucumber is reef-safe ?

2. I heard that they will still release toxin when stressed, is this true ?

3.Will the toxin as lethal as those sea apple ?

4.Heard from some that their fishes were dead after comsume the 'eggs' produced by the sea cucumber ! Anyone has experiences this ?

5.Is sea cucumber = sea slug ?

It is definitely true that they release toxin when stressed. A massive water change will them be necessary before all lifestock gets wiped out. The black sea cuke is not entirely reef safe, just safer than any of their cousins. Hope this helps.

I find that they tend to climb more in newer setups compared to more established setups. Getting a new sea cuke will not help. Sea cukes normally venture onto rocks for food if there is not enough food in the sandbed to sustain it.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

not getting another one. :cry::cry::cry:

my last one got itself stuck in between some rocks and cannot "gostan" den spit out internal organs. *yuck* :angry:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif