Guccivera Mini Nano Dymax IQ5 Reefing journal. (3.5Gallon)

After a long time (ever since my first nano failure) I'm taking the old tank for a reuse.
Nano is definitely a challenge to new or old reefer but i'm taking out this challenge due to aggressive angelfish in my main tank which disallow me to keep coral.
A few thing to take note. In the past whatever i see i want, i get and throw into the tank. That's is a very irresponsible reefing action.
I start to be more patient with the help of this
patience.jpg
Just want to post to share my experience and also making use of this platform as my reefing journal.

And now here it is

IMG_2205_zps8gmkai1c.jpg

Now let me start with adding the sand. I use a big cup to take the sand from my main tank. Accidentally take this snail along that was hiding inside the sand.

IMG_2206_zpsaa5weiff.jpg

Thanks to jeopardize for his rock and water ! :) salinity 1.025!
IMG_2208_zps3sbxwdrn.jpg

And now this the final touch
IMG_2224_zps0mxmelnl.jpg
IMG_2228_zpsfxsqyvn0.jpg

Not going to add fish here until 4 weeks later.
Hopefully cycle will be completed by then since most of the bio filter is from my main tank.

Prob a pair clown fish and some frag. (most likely zoa and basic sps)

Nano parameters are hard to maintain however it's pretty easy to dose due to little dosage unlike my main tank 100 more litres :/
Okay i'm going to update this thread once in awhile.

Probably need Grammar instead of patience.
Hope you enjoy reading fishless cycle!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

IMG_7074.JPG

IMG_7069.JPG

IMG_7070.JPG

Suddenly Addicted to nano Tank. If you guys know me, I'm impatient waiting for my new tank @leslie :angry: anyway, I feel that nano is a small slice of ocean and is very beautiful if properly take care. 
And you dont have to add alot stuff because the limited space and it will help you to save cost!
FAQ ~
Hello what do you plan to do if a fish from your nano happen to grow bigger.

Answer : I'll put in my bigger tank or sell it away.

Recommend fish in nano?
Answer: No tangs/Angel unless for a small period of time, Anything less than 2 inch you can keep about 2-4. I think it's more suitable for coral.

Any advice on swings in parameter?
Try not to use fan because it will cause a huge swing in nano as the water evaporate faster than i type. For dosing you it's also very dangerous and you must measure precisely . I suggest doing 10% water change every week. And use an airtube to stuck the bottom of the tank. KEEP IT SAND FREE plz. Bare bottom. It's so easy to swing i dont even wish to accidentally cause nitrate spike by touching the sand.

Last question i think people will ask is Why do you play a nano when you have a bigger tank.

I like challenge. IF not i am already tired of reefing and try something else. OF course every life is meaningful you must always research before you add something in. 

How do i research i'll do my own research on website and ask the LFS about the fish requirement and lifespan???  

Ok one very last question. Why dymax not OF or other brand.

because my first tank is dymax so i think of having 3 same think will look cool. My personal preferences. I would have buy OF if i know more about marine in the past. Anyway if you plan to use nano skimmer, forget about it, it will skim out trace element and wait.... those air wooden thingy for air ? Dont think it will be more effective than weekly water change.

Edited by Willy Guccivera Yap

• SRC Member

Well shared Willy.. your FAQ will definitely benefits those new starter.. as many always started from Nano tank than gradually moved to a bigger tank when they have confidence. But most of the time due to lack of knowledge and experience, the outcome disheartened the hobbist. Good write up.

• SRC Member

Oh wow bro I really like the 3 tank side by side look! Very inspiring! 

Can scape until each tank looks distinctly different from the others.. Then the look will be very impactful IMO

Hi bro, that is beautiful. Kudos to you too for good advise given!

Same to you bro. Keep your update up

Oh wow bro I really like the 3 tank side by side look! Very inspiring! 

Can scape until each tank looks distinctly different from the others.. Then the look will be very impactful IMO

Hahaha because of your idea i trying to do that now.

Well shared Willy.. your FAQ will definitely benefits those new starter.. as many always started from Nano tank than gradually moved to a bigger tank when they have confidence. But most of the time due to lack of knowledge and experience, the outcome disheartened the hobbist. Good write up.

Thank you, When will it be your turn sharing your knowledge 

Steady bro! Nice view you have there :)

ATI?

Nice setup bro, I actually like the look of 3 Nanos side by side like small pockets of coral heaven

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Hahaha thanks :) Like when people appreciate nano

It is always a challenge to keep a nano marine tank. your sharing with help many people here !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thank you. I wish more people will post their nano so we can learn abit here and there.

Nice, now each tank can keep 3 pairs of pellet trained dragonets. 

Nice tanks btw haha update more

Thank you everyone for your view. It's a very challenging to have so much maintenance .

If i've inspire anyone in some way i wish to show you what should not be kept in a nano tank.

So what not to be keep in nano?

Shark

Dolphin

Jellyfish

Tangs 

Angels

Anthias

Any fish more than 3 inch.

Because I'm not running a skimmer, the downside are those fish take in alot oxygen causing a big problem for those who do not have any air pump / skimmer.

Any because the smaller the tank are, the more stress they will be.

I think i should stop adding stuff into my nano LOL. If not my fish barely have any space to swim.

Here's some picture to please you..

.IMG_7128.thumb.JPG.dabe6dbe8887d35df7d96

This is my second tank, Currently i've 2 puffer and 2 lion fish. Occasionally feed them with freshwater shrimp. Most of the time i try to make them eat mysis.

File_002.thumb.jpeg.5c9c8643fe56e4f5c89f

New addition of clam :P 

IMG_6782.thumb.JPG.96ee0240fe5003d5a2227

This is my nebula clown when i first put into the tank without any anemone. I'll update a newer picture sooner . Maybe with some lps.

If you have any question on experience about nano do share with me.

PS NEVER ADD ANTHIAS INTO A NANO. PLZ DONT.

File_001 (1).jpeg

Sorry One last comment, If you really like nano, the most fish i suggest lesser than 1 inch will be FOR. MAX 4. Please do not overstock because once a fish die of some reason your whole nano will crash. 

Edited by Willy Guccivera Yap

• SRC Supporter

Very nice indeed. Is that a dwaf lionfish in one of the pictures? What's the care level like?

I also got a nano tank recently. Not decided what to do with it yet.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

Bro, what light are you using for your tanks? Looks like clip-on

It's a NX5 Dymax clip on light LED. White and blue dimmable. Anyway i've extra if someone one can pm me.

IMPRESSIVE setup... Especially the 3rd pictures.. i love those clownfish :wub:.. Care to Share what varient are those? Frostbite, snowflakes..? Never seen such varient b4.. :o

Those are Nebula Clown. Picasso Family. Bought from () I probably name the shop if the price not that expensive.

Very nice indeed. Is that a dwaf lionfish in one of the pictures? What's the care level like?

I also got a nano tank recently. Not decided what to do with it yet.

The care level actually easy if you able to feed it live food like crabs prawn or some fish. Quite easy. Not a dwarf but i will move it to bigger tank when it grow most likely 5 years?
Play with nano! it's fun :) 

File_000.thumb.jpeg.7a33eb2c86f014873ed2

This is the latest update of my tank. Maintenance i keep it at 3 days 10% water change because i'm impatient but not lazy. So I'm going to do water change whenever I'm free.

Because lack of active carbon, the water that i siphon out are abit yellow if i overfed with coral food.

I've to say the adults nebula clowns are very happy in such a tight spot.  

For Nano Tank,

It's easy to know if the water is good or not, firstly if you see the water is cloudy or slightly cloudy, something die in there. or you feed too much (brine shrimp) for me.

Secondly if the fish is gasping for air or swimming on the surface is either they are exploring ( impossible) or because the water have some issue again.

Anyway not everyone first time is a success, I do not have algae outbreak at the moment of having 24/7 oning the light. What i'm going to say is i am having fun teasing my suncoral to open while my puffer making it hard to open. :P

File_001.thumb.jpeg.3ff7aead96274dfb6a01

This are my my new black ice on my 3rd nano. Clowns are perfect addition to Nano Tank. And i love the clam, they love helping me filter the water.

I do not add any trace element, all i feed is color supplement which are coral food for the sea fan.

Thank you for reading.

Nice nano tanks in ur possession.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

I'll reply all your message tmr, But i need to show this.

File_000_(1).thumb.jpeg.7b1e4aaf4d7c741f

My sea fan open so big @ 30 celsius after feeding with revoreef coral growth and color intense

I've to say i am very satisfied with the product and there's a 30% introduction price if i'm not wrong. It is a very good coral food!!!!

can share how you are maintaining your Ca levels for your clams in a nano? Frequent wc or dosing?

Nice Nano set up you got there

Can you share how u maintain your Ca for your nano with clams ?

I'm a clams & clown lover

I manage to maintain my CA by doing water change every 1 week of 30% .

Nice nano tanks in ur possession.

Nice pair of black ice clown fish.

Thank you kind sir!