Tank Leak

I set up my 5 feet tank in Aug 03, bought the tank at Hawaii Marine.

Last Saturday at 5am, the tank was leaking and I spend the next 3 hrs taking out the corals and live rocks and fishes and putting them in 2 tanks. Spend the rest of the day cleaning the house.

Where can I get the tank fixed??

• SRC Member
I set up my 5 feet tank in Aug 03, bought the tank at Hawaii Marine.

Last Saturday at 5am, the tank was leaking and I spend the next 3 hrs taking out the corals and live rocks and fishes and putting them in 2 tanks. Spend the rest of the day cleaning the house.

Where can I get the tank fixed??

is there any warranty on the tank? think you should go back to the ah pek at Hawaii and ask him what happen. spending so much money on a 5 footer and it can only last for 8 months? does'nt make any sense to me...

• SRC Member

hi kiss

the hw is that 1 at the sembawang si boh? i went there when they have the tank offer but i see the tank material and workmanship not so good lucky i no buy... the tank with centre overflow 1 hor?

so how is it now? wish you good luck....

ciao!

• SRC Member
:off::off: not that i want to flame them.but the mentioned lfs has a reputation of jacking up prices,selling low quality livestocks...i dun wanna elaborate on that but please becareful with the purchases u guys make over there.And i noe where they get their stock from,beleive it or not,their selling price is 4 times their cost price for some of the cheaper corals...so do really practise caution.

• 2 weeks later...

I called Hawaii Marine a few times but "its not in used'. Finally, managed to travel there on Saturday 17th April. True enough, the shop moved or closed down.

To typrobin, the tank is now dry after 2 weeks. Where I can get the services of a tank maker to do the silicon job as you mentioned? Anybody can reccommend?

I have never bought any live stock before from Hawaii as I prefer to get them near my flat in Pasir Ris.

Most of my corals and a few fishes have died since I transfer them to 2 other 2 feet tank on that fateful morning.

Can try fixing yourself first if you don't mind the hazzle. I presumed those shop charge you a bomb and also might do the same thing you would have done. Test it with water for a couple of days after you fix.

Try getting some silicon gel from "Home fix or hardware shop", ask for aqaurium use and check the small print behind to confirm. Use pen knife to remove those gel over leak area, if cannot be removed totally get some alcohol or nail remover wetting a cloth and wipe it. Make sure thorough cleaning after that.

Apply silicon gel over the leak area, allow it to dry for 1 or 2 days, fill the tank with water to confirm, leave it for weeks to boost your confident level.

Hope this might help...... :erm:

• SRC Member

a tank of my uncle's leak b4. wad the did was to buy a long stip of L-shaped acrylic so that it will fit the corners of silicon joints like a border. dont bother with those silicon sold at home fix or diy shops. try to order one for industrial use. if im nt wrong, CR aquarium sell da silicon the ones they use to build their tanks

• 5 months later...

Finally, after 6 months, the tank is dry and I just got the sand out of the tank.

Now that I finally got to see the bottom glass, I really can't figure out where the leak is.

I pour some water in about 2 cm in height and there appears to be some water leaking, but I still cant trace the source.

Anybody knows who can I get help from? Means the person will come down and do it for a fee.

Well, a tankmaker actually came down to see my tank. As the thickness for my 5 feet tank is only 10mm, he actually advised me to make a new tank. This time with 12mm thickness.

If I want to keep my present tank, he have to remove the original silicon and re apply the new silicon. The cost would only be slightly cheaper than getting a new set of tank.

What do you think?

I must admit that the manufacturer of my present tank is a glass manufacturer and not an aquarium manufacturer.

For comparison, My 5' (& 2.5' height) tank is using 12mm thick glass with bracing both at the bottom and top. A friend of mine who is also having a 5' (7 2' height) tank is using 15mm glass without any bracing.

What is the reason behind your leakage? If it is simply because of the poor silicon then it does not means that 10mm glass is not sufficient. Your 10mm thick glass may be sufficient. wat is the height of your tank?

But if you have the money, a new tank will offer you more peace of mind, if not, just stick with the old tank but with good repair using aquarium silicon.

My tank also just leaked last month and I can understand the probia involved. My tank leaked due to the silicon which is repaired by the manufacturer.

Good luck.

• SRC Member
i believe that terryansimon, nim75sg and me >> same tankmaker.. haha :lol:  Believe he will help you to arrange with our tankmaker .  :lol:

:(  .. hope that your problem can be solved asap.

Wow!! All of us have the same tankmaker.

Glad to hear that his father is ok now.

• SRC Member

Who is your tankmaker ???? :o

His father >sick ????? funny... since when ??? <_<

Think you refer to wrong tankmaker......

Funny leh. :huh: Terryansimon and my tank maker same person.

Recently, there was a posting here saying that the tank maker cut his handphone because he want to give up his business to look after his father.

Anyway, forget it. Its not important.

• SRC Member

Funny leh. :huh: Terryansimon and my tank maker same person.

Recently, there was a posting here saying that the tank maker cut his handphone because he want to give up his business to look after his father.

piglet tank maker is Goh TM...

as for u and me r the same... from octo

I spent around $1,400 for my last tank 5x2x2.5 ft complete with sump and cabinet.

The manufacturer that came yesterday to take a look at my present tank just faxed me his quotation. Its around $3,000. I can see that quality of his tanks is much better.

Who are your tank maker, guys?

• SRC Member
I spent around $1,400 for my last tank 5x2x2.5 ft complete with sump and cabinet.

The manufacturer that came yesterday to take a look at my present tank just faxed me his quotation. Its around $3,000. I can see that quality of his tanks is much better.

Who are your tank maker, guys?

$3000 is way too expensive.. my tankmaker same with piglet... a 5x2x2.5 cabinet set should be about $1700? ask piglet.. he got about the same tank size as yours