success in keeping Anemone? anyone?

Hi,

can i ask if anyone has any success in keeping anemone in their tank?

for e.g like keeping it close to 1 yr etc.

So much so abt reading up on anemone especially on its difficulty in keeping them and the advice of "its better not to go for it"...i read so much on it...

for once, can we do something different? share successful experience in keeping them!

Can share your experience in keeping them here? I think all the inputs will be invaluable! :D

• SRC Member

Not to mention the lighting levels as well - most anemones need bright lighting to thrive, and frequent feeding. Used to have a sickly-green carpet anemone but decided to ban all anemones from my tank after the bugger ate my $50 jawfish. :angry::cry2: If you're going to keep them, be prepared to lose a fish once in a while. They aren't too smart sometimes ...

Not to mention the lighting levels as well - most anemones need bright lighting to thrive, and frequent feeding. Used to have a sickly-green carpet anemone but decided to ban all anemones from my tank after the bugger ate my $50 jawfish. :angry::cry2: If you're going to keep them, be prepared to lose a fish once in a while. They aren't too smart sometimes ...

i think maybe that appiles to carpet.. They are voracious eater but my fish seem to do ok with it

post-8-1086311002.jpg

• SRC Member

I don't know about others but I find anemone is harder to keep than other LPS or soft corals. I have a tank with LPS and soft corals all doing well, but not anemone. I started with 5 of them and they slowly die one after another....now I'm left with 2 of the same type. So I'm starting to think that there is some chemical warfare going on between them and the started killing each other. Does anyone have experience keeping different type of anemone in the same tank and no problem at all?

One time when one anemone died, it actually killed 3 of my healthy tangs. So be very careful.

i think maybe that appiles to carpet.. They are voracious eater but my fish seem to do ok with it

whao...how did u manage to keep a carpet anemone in a tank together with LPS,clams??? it wont move around, wont it? :thanks:

I guess it also depend on the species. Like for example among all anemones, BTA is the easiest to care for.

For me, when I first bought my BTA 5/6 months ago it is only 8cm, now it is 16cm liao.

Basic anemone husbandry:

1) Lights 150w and above (PL or MH or VHO)

2) Good water parameters

3) Supplemental feeding on mysis, chopped market prawns or any marine fish feeds ;)

Anyway, now it is getting too crowded in my tank and I am selling it liao. Anyone interested can pm me. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

veri low NO3..!! tat's the trick too..

too high u see the anemone start to shrink.

fish can do, but not the anemone.

I starve my carpet, it won't move ard much after that.

no energy.. haha..!!

brought 15 pc baby anemone from lck no. 20 (close down liao) :cry: 3 weeks ago

did a head count today total 17 pc :lol:

just got a luminious green BTA recently. First time going into anemone...underestimated its ability to expand itself by so much though... Now abit worried of its size (bigger than palm size plus fingers when fully expanded). Does it mean that if an anemone is big in size, it needs to be target fed more often?

I also wonder how much does it eat actually...any rough guide?

its a beauty but i am damm worried.

• SRC Member

hi guys. i bought 2 anemones today. well, they seem to be doing fine, moving ard searching for a nice spot to fix on (i have no idea what are they. one is a white anemone with blue dot on the tips, the other is a yellow-shite anemone with a pink/purple base).

however, they seemed to have 'shrinked' when i placed them in my aquarium. any reason why this is so?

also, they like to find a small, tight corner and squeeze themselves there inside of 'blooming'.

what do i feed the anemones? i heard they need a supply of iodine. is that sufficient to 'feed' them that once a week?

• SRC Member
brought 15 pc baby anemone from lck no. 20 (close down liao) :cry: 3 weeks ago

did a head count today total 17 pc :lol:

"15 pc baby anemone"??? :o

I don't think that's anemone that you have, probably "mxxjxxxno" (don't know how to spell already. Some reefer think those are pest that go around ur tank and sting other coral.

Tank 4x2x2.5

I have kept my Bubble Tip anemone for about one mth and a half now... I do think having an anemonefish (clownfish) to help your anemone acclimatise itself will greatly improve it's chances of survival.

I feed my anemone with chopped up fish meat/prawns about once a week. However, I sort of read somewhere that when you have a clownfish being hosted in an anemone, feeding isn't exactly that important anymore. Stable water parameters, dun keep shifting the anemone around, are more important I guess. :)