How to take good care of Green Mandarin Fish?

Hi experts out there,

can i ask for sharing of successful experience in keeping this nice fellow-Green Mandarin Fish.

Read that they are carnivores and eat vitamin enriched brine shrimp. Also

understand that they do well in mature tanks....

any other useful info to share so that this beauty can be well taken care of without fearing it will starve itself to death? :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

If you decide to keep this fish, just make sure that you have plenty of establish live rock so that they can find enough food to thrive.

The normal diet is small marine animals that live on the bottom of the sand bed.

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

jus my experience :

i had a mandarin fish for few months, it is feeding on frozen brine shrimps...but its a slow moving fish , therefore most of the food will end up feeding other fishes, it is essential to have a large tank with sufficient pods for it to survive....

my mandarin end up.......... :cry2:

• SRC Member

They are basically 'ground' feeders... B)

"ground' as in wherever they 'glide' onto, they will 'choop choop' on the area. And they like to eat in peace...thus avoid keeping boisterous fish with them.

I had lots of copepods back then and my Mandy was pui pui and he even managed to start feeding on sinking pellets after frozen brine shrimps... :)

He jumped out of the tub that I was holding my livestock in preparation of restructuring my tank... :cry2::cry2::cry2:

Will definitely get one again... :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

my green mandarin is in my 6ft tank for about 1.5 years. it will take frozen and live brine shrimp.... it will even swim to eat frozen brine shrimp.

What i do is when i buy my mandarin, i will place my mandarin in a container full of frozen brine shrimp..... and let it slowly get use to eating.... frozen brine shrimp. then release into main tank

• SRC Member

I have one red Mandarin Fish for about 5 months+ in my 2ft FOWLR.

very difficult to let this cutie grow fat. Have to feed it with live brine shrimp. The smallest or medium size.

It can find some of it natural food source from live rock or sand floor however my don't seems to have sufficent food source for it.

It better to have a large and established tank before having this cutie inside the tank. IMO.

In the morning you can see that these cutie have a very pale color if is stay in the open sand floor. Proabaly "camoflouge" during the night.

Regards,

Moxa

• SRC Member

Here are my tips:

- Take a tank ornament out, and dip it in freshwater, if you see LOTS of things coming out of the ornament, u're ready.

- Dose Phyto, this is to increase pod populations, and trust me, every night i'll spot lots of pods on the glass.

- Refugium, not nesseccary. (you could haf ur refugium at ur sump juz by putting rocks there. dun worry abt ur pods getting stuck on filter sponge, they are smaller than the pores.)

- Tank must be >3mths

- No more than 2 other competing fish. (includes seahorse, wrasse...)

• SRC Member
Here are my tips:

- Take a tank ornament out, and dip it in freshwater, if you see LOTS of things coming out of the ornament, u're ready.

- Dose Phyto, this is to increase pod populations, and trust me, every night i'll spot lots of pods on the glass.

- Refugium, not nesseccary. (you could haf ur refugium at ur sump juz by putting rocks there. dun worry abt ur pods getting stuck on filter sponge, they are smaller than the pores.)

- Tank must be >3mths

- No more than 2 other competing fish. (includes seahorse, wrasse...)

pods only come out in the night meh? My pods can be seen on the tank glass where algae starting to form anytime of the day.............feast time to the corals everytime I wipe the glass.

Eric

• SRC Member

Sharing my experience...

I've had my one and only Mandarin for almost a year now and it's the fattest fish in the tank. The 60+kg of quality LR, I believe, is providing it with an abundent source of food. It picks on the LR the whole day! :)

It does not have to compete with other fish for food.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi, Hi, yes me also just got one green mandarin a week ago. Nice cute fish, but I managed to get this big fella, about 3 to 4" big.

Would like to know, if they die, usually after how long, like 3 to 4 days, and if they survive like 2 weeks does it mean they will make it.

Mine like big time hunter, go around the whole tank LR chomping on dun know what. Me, tank is just 4x2.5x2.5' big, can this Mandarin survive in such tank? or need a bigger tank?

Tank setup is about 8 months old.

Can we keep more than one mandarin then?

tks.