Nitrate

Air

how do we remove the nitrate if we dun have a slump with alot of plants nor a deep sand bed? if we dont have the above mentioned, r my nitrate for here t ostay n accumulate?

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself

• SRC Member
guys, what is a calister and what is a slump?

calister =

No entry found for calister...

slump =

1)To fall or sink heavily; collapse: She slumped, exhausted, onto the sofa.

2)To droop, as in sitting or standing; slouch.

3)To decline suddenly; fall off: Business slumped after the holidays.

4)To sink or settle, as into mud or slush.

5)To slide down or spread out thickly, as mud or fresh concrete.

:D

use PS..

• SRC Member

without a sump,macro algae,deep sand bed...you just ruled out the NNR methods (natural nitrate reduction). btw, sump got nothing to do with reducing nitrates. (sump is under filtration).

You can try the more expensive way(but no guarantee it works)Nitrate media. e.g Nitrate sponge & other nitrate reducing media.

If u run a good skimmer, AZNO3 also works. using this will lower oxygen levels so increase circulation during treatment period. AZNO3 works...but depends on how much skimate your skimmer produces.

OR......change water weekly. :whistle

Without a removal method to match your NO3 production,

You won't end up with zero nitrates ever as your tank will be producing it and it has nowhere to go. All u can do is dilute it.

• SRC Member

Yes...to a certain extent.

People can only tell you that it will help...how much? that's a different story.

It will depend on the area used for the refugium, the amount of macro algae used and maybe also the kind of algae used. Employ a refugium and a DSB or plenum to gain the full potential for NO3 removal.

A refugium alone won't lower 50-100ppm NO3.

i judge mine to process only abt 10ppm NO3 (its W14"xL18"xH18"). I did this observations before my DSB kicked in, but now both are running i can't estimate consumption anymore.

• SRC Member

Greetings,

I guess I can share some idea here.

When I started marine hobby, Nitrate is the first thing that I have trouble with, since it affect corals the most.

Different methods I tried, but I can get any nice output. So in the end, I am current running Denitrator from Sera, and of course, you can get other branding too, they works the same way...

Water Changes:

It will be OK if you have a small tank, and if you are willing to change large amount of water to keep up with the rising Nitrate, unless natural clean sea water is available, otherwise, mixing those salt is not a nice job to do...

Nitrate Abosorbing Substrate:

Talking about those Nitrate abosorbing substrate, it only works when your overall tank Nitrate level is below 20ppm, Ideally should NOT be more than 10ppm for healty coral growth. Therefore, those substrate will not last you for long, and they are very highly priced as well...

This product is only good if your tank produce low amount of nitrate over long period of time...

Denitrator Box:

These kind of method is what I think, the most effective method, as it can reduce large amount of nitrate in short period of time. The only drawback is that it takes time for the "Box" to mature, as it actually cultivate denitrifying bateria by means of Anaerobic Food, food which Anaerobic bacteria feed on. As for myself, it takes 1 month for the product to works like a Pro.

Just to add...somewhere in this post someone mentioned seachem's denitrate...it is rendered useless in terms of denitrifying in high flow areas....there is a specified flow rate mentioned in the packaging in order for denitrate to work....

in my opinion..get the bigger sized Seachem Matrix....its bigger..meaning there are deeper microcavities in the *pebbles* for denitrifying bacteria to get into deeper areas....and its meant for canister usage (ie. good for fast flow areas)

I am using Seachem's Matrix, Coralife's Nitrate Controller, Seachem's Purigen...to combat the nitrate problem that is unresolved after protein skimming... :)

• SRC Member
Denitrator Box:

These kind of method is what I think, the most effective method, as it can reduce large amount of nitrate in short period of time. The only drawback is that it takes time for the "Box" to mature, as it actually cultivate denitrifying bateria by means of Anaerobic Food, food which Anaerobic bacteria feed on. As for myself, it takes 1 month for the product to works like a Pro.

Matt06,

do u mind telling us more in this thread. Are u using one currently?

Any pics to show, characteristics, behaviour & how efficient is this 'denitrator box'. How did u go about making this media inside mature? What media u use?

To be frank, general feedback I read is that it is a total failure. As you maybe aware, this equipment is not cheap :pinch:

:thanks: