xenia

hermit

• SRC Member

any reefer out there can help me understand more on the basic of keeping xenia?

just brought a rock but dunno whether it can servive anot!

just want to know more on how to keep them...................... :D

:thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member

xenia requires high current...so place it at a location where there is strong current in your tank..

:eyeblur:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member
any reefer out there can help me understand more on the basic of keeping xenia?

just brought a rock but dunno whether it can servive anot!

just want to know more on how to keep them...................... :D

:thanks::thanks:

bro frag a pcs for me can hahaha

just in case ur die still have mine here

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

bro frag a pcs for me can hahaha

just in case ur die still have mine here

hahahah..................no problem bro.... :D

u make me go ter one mah.....! :D

up till now the coral still never pulsing abt lor :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I placed mine near the overflow box area, seems to be doing fine so far for 2 weeks. A bit early to say, but I am dosing iodine regularly as indicated by most literatures. Hope it can last.

• SRC Member

Just to share my experience...

Mine 2 rock didnt ok for abt 3 weeks... Even started spreading to the adj rocks.

But then after, slowly slow off. The turn brown and just crumble away...

Found this huge feathery white nudi "abt 1" in length" Grazing on them... Removed it but somehow too late to save them.

The rest of the colony which is not affected by the nudi somehow still turn brown and rot away... Place it in a good flow area, didnt dose iodine though. Could it be i over skimmed my tank?

Heard that some softies, in fact a marority of sofies need somewhat higher nutrients laden water to thrive. :nc:

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
Does yr Xenia "Pump"

If it pumps it is called "Pumping Xenia" it it does not then it is "Swaying Xenia". One previous colony i have pumps...in a matter of a few days my angel ate it :lol:

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

Actually, the pumping action of xenia is not quite an accurate to differentiate its species. I had a friend whose xenia stopped pumping when his pH went up to 8.5 and resumed the pumping action when the pH dropped. Interesting huh? :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

hi all,

agree with blueheaven that the pulsing action of xenias is not such an accurate way to speciate a specimen. also, of all the species of xenia available, most of them do pulse, just to varying degrees of speed and animation. some pulse slowly, others quickly, so not a great gauge of species. the best would be the cespitularias with their shining spicules in their tissue but i havent seen any in lfs yet, so anyone know where to get some, pls do share ya.

back to hermits question, i find that xenias thrive best in conditins of high ph (8.2-8.3) and high kh (8-10dkh); everything else being as per normal. i also find that the pulsing activity is most pronounced at high ph levels. ive kept xenia in ph levels of from 8.0 to 8.5 and i find that towards the lower 8.0 levels, pulsing slows. but then again, pulsing is not a definite indication of poor health and ive seen pulsing colonies that dont pulse still grow so its ok. good lighting is another important aspect. for a one foot high tank, 24w HO T5s would be my recommended minimum, with increased lightings for taller tanks. 10000k works fine for me.

also, like most soft corals, even where they are photosynthetic like the xenia, nutrient uptake also occurs through filtration that is facilitated by water uptake as polyps and stems are expanded, and gut analysis of xenias have shown phyto absorbtion so i think some supplemental feedings or a mature reef tank helps their progress.

last thing hermit, if youd like to try xenias, and would like a few frags to see if they do alright in your tank, i'd be happy to give you a few small frags. i think trying out frags is better than buying a colony as it helps ease harvest pressures, so do pm me if youre interested. as for anyone else that might like to swop or buy some xenia frags, pls do pm me and i'll get back to you about it as i can ya. my xenias are pulsing and growing prolifically. i tried to upload some videos previously but cant so if youd like to see the video, you can pm me your email add and i can send it you ya.

cheers everyone,

ian

No one exactly knows the reason why xenias pulse. Some speculate it's to increase water circulation, others say it's for food capture, some say it's to shield itself from bright lights..the list goes on.

As for the pulsing action, I agree with what iantoh has said about the pH and kH levels. I probably would add photoperiod as a possible reason too. You won't notice your xenia pulsing as much after lights off. pH drop at night might cause this effect too but your pH won't fluctuate alot at optimal kH levels.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

hi all, im unable to upload or attach the vids on src so you can either access my open briefcase at <http://briefcase.yahoo.com> using the user name: ianmajeur, with the password: password, or you can pm me your email address and i'll send you the video ya. for bro sunny to whom ive emailed the vid, if youre able to upload it somehow, pls help me.

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member

sorry i also have no idea how to upload maybe u can try upload under ur signature

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member
I read that xenia shipment should be handled in a special package, called rafting. To avoid the polyn touching the bag, and hang upside-down.

Do you receive your xenia in such packaging?

Your suggestion is not practical lah. Who knows how the lfs receive the xenias? And which lfs would special pack the xenias when it's not expensive stuff?

• SRC Member

Dunno lah, I read it from the ReefCentral, think is under Anthony subforum some time ago.

Actually LFS here (at MY) did similar way, just not that "professional" lah. Using newspaper as somekind of "form-factor" at bottom.

If the supposed-pumping-Xenia is still pumping in the LFS, then NVM loh, but make sure its packed in proper way on your transit.