Invisible acro-eating flatworms

The upside to this is that those with green-spotted mandarinfishes, six-line wrasses or leopard wrasses may find them feasting on these flatworms (NOT the red planaria) IF they spot them.

nothing eat those bastards. :(

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think no matter how much you try to remove the flatoworms and their eggs, total success rate is very slim as you do not know where there might still be eggs and especially when your tank is so big with so many colonies of SPS.

So unless you take out all colonies and inspect all LR and surfaces, you are probably fighting a losing battle as these guys will keep coming and you will lose more colonies.

I really wish you all the best in your war with the flatworms and may you win in the end :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Sadly, this is not a luxury or practice that most of us follow... with such consequences.

The upside to this is that those with green-spotted mandarinfishes, six-line wrasses or leopard wrasses may find them feasting on these flatworms (NOT the red planaria) IF they spot them.

I guess a good countermeasure is to observe each specimen closely for negative changes, suspect the worse and try to spot for parasites such as these.

The eggs can be scrapped off with a sharp knife and you can kalkwasser paste the adults if you have the time. If not, a dip with Lugols iodine (may not work for some species) or flatworm exit or Freshwater Dip may kill them (with risks to corals).

Bottomline: I HATE FLATWORMS. :nuke:

I must agree, having a quarantine tank is like setting another reef tank, even worst if its a sps tank. Extra money.

Those flatworms are a PIA. Thought of seeing them makes my hair stand even now.

But having those six liner, gobies that supposely eat flat worms would be good. But we must think, if we have high flow that surround those infested acros, no fishes will swim around them. So flatworms will be safe.

:ooh:

• SRC Member

I must agree, having a quarantine tank is like setting another reef tank, even worst if its a sps tank. Extra money.

Those flatworms are a PIA. Thought of seeing them makes my hair stand even now.

But having those six liner, gobies that supposely eat flat worms would be good. But we must think, if we have high flow that surround those infested acros, no fishes will swim around them. So flatworms will be safe.

:ooh:

Maybe we should just grow our sps tank with frags instead of colony, easier to inspect and less chance of infecting flatworms.

Eric

If I can remember, AT had bought those velvet slugs before

Slugs vs Worms? :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif