My 3ft rag and bone tank

gift05

• SRC Member

yes loh, how can be rag and bone??? Got Beckettm got chiller, you must save a lot on that NS pay of yours, last time, my NS pay even if I am a officer only got $500++ per month. Nowsdays NS life is SO SO much better.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

haahaha

ocean deep > yep its already killed me.. many times. and its so much worse when u start to work on ur tank and the chiller kicks in. but i've installed a small fan (apprantly not big enough) to try and shift the hot exhaust outta my door (and into my bros' room :D )

and to my other bros, it WAS suppose to start as budgetted as possible. but as all things go in this hobby....

i've kept a close record on all my spending even down to simple tubings and $1 chromis. but here's the bulk of the costs

tank+stand+glass sump+fl lights+weipro skimmer $180

test kits $50 *

figi LR+rock bonder+sand $300 *

coralife salt $59*

SCWD $68 *

Rio 20hf return $85

all the LS i ever owned $80 *

RM 8" B Skimmer $330

RR chiler $350

ph,ORP monitor $150*

MH lighting $130

*denotes brand new

IMO comparatively if i did go and buy everything brand new, i'd be out on the streets alr. :cry2:

here's the pic of the fan that's hanging on my chiller

post-34-1130727362.jpg

• SRC Member

and those who intend to start this as a hobby, i think i've made it seem all magical. like 1 of those slimming centres with their before and after mugshots.

ask any reefer here and we can tell you, takes lotsa time, patience and dedication. oh and try not to fling anything at the fish tank when you're so hot in frustration. :nc:

i've fastforwarded all the hard parts cuz i'm sure every reefer here knows what its like. i remember dragging the chiller down from the seller's place at around midnight and getting wierd stares from passer bys haha.fixing the leak on my skimmer's return countless of times and dealing with water spillages that seem to seap faster into the parquet than into my cloth :(

but then, when the chaos settles, you realise all the friends you've made esp from SRC. Bros and sistas here in SRC, it was ur warmth and friendliness that kept my passion going :peace: valuable advice and tips that were given so forthcomingly will always be treasured with utmost gratitude.

thanks once again :thanks:

• SRC Member
Dragging the chiller down from the seller's place at around midnight and getting wierd stares from passer bys haha.fixing the leak on my skimmer's return countless of times and dealing with water spillages that seem to seap faster into the parquet than into my cloth :(

HAHA! tell me abt it. How abt carrying yur becket ard in a hawker center during lunch time to buy food b4 headin home... People was like.. wat the hell... :lol:

Btw u might want to create more height and add more dimension by using more rocks. Looks better and more natural. ;)

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member

Tank is looking good :)

So many ppl seem to have noisy beckets???? Mine is from Ocean Werx and it is very quiet.

Sure is an expensive hobby...wait till you want to upgrade to a 4 or 5 foot tank :D Price quadruples or more..... :( Have spent about $5K on my 5ft, and that is with a lot of DIY.....with still more to come, e.g. calcium reacter.....grrrrrr

Anyway gifto5, as you have experienced, it is a great hobby and totally addictive.

Happy watching

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member

Can put chiller outside the window? Might need a cover from the rain. If you have much longer pipes, make sure your pump is still delivering the right flow rate thru the chiller....

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member

ok guys,

changed the skimmer pump to a MD55 and my return to a MD40 (both from really great reefers here =) )

has been 2 days since my skimmer has been running the the md 55, but here's the thing... where's the skimmate?!

its bubbling profusely, water lvl set to the mid mark of the neck, but all the foam produced is snow white in colour =(

called joe P and he said since there were lotsa foam produced, the skimmer's workin fine and that maybe i've got too low a bioload. (12 fishies and cured LR, tanks been running about 2 months now)

anyone has any comments?

its a 8" beckett running on a 3 footer.

post-34-1131189757.jpg

• SRC Member

prolly gonna let the pump run in, (been using it only 2 days ago) and check back again a few days later to see if its skimming more =)

anyway, here's my new rock work with tonga rocks (which are also bought off from another reefer here)

:upsidedown:

post-34-1131189984.jpg

• SRC Member
yep it is quite hot. i'll be doing a significant overhaul soon that'll involve losta manpower and work. will pos pics of my improved setup.

definately the position of my chiller's gotta change <_<

any suggestions guys?

Can call me to help loh. ;) just across the road. ;)