NEW WAY TO CHANGE WATER??

ping

• SRC Member

Share with you my experience.

My auntie got a 4 ft tank, under gravel system. Fish and LR (but dead already).

I saw with my own eyes how she change water the other day. I screamed at her, but she said had been doing this for the past 2 years!!!!

She put in new fishes about 4 or 5.

Then,she used a hose to suck out 60%-70% of the water. She stirred the sand bed to make sure she sucked out the dirt. Then she filled back with TAP water!!!!!!! after that she add salt directly into the tank using her finger to pinch/dissolve the salt. Then she used a tong to stir the water for those undissolved salt. About 1 min of stirring when all salt dissolved. she then measure the sanility with glass hydrometer then add a bit more salt and she said completed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant believe that, I went back to her house the next day, the next next following day and then a week later which was yesterday. All fishes living so well. You will be surprised they are powder blue tang, blue tang, blenny, crown, box fish, dotty back and not damsel..

WHy ???? why???? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

:blink:

• SRC Member

This shows us that fish can be tougher creatures than we thought. Some things do defy 'logic' and 'scientific proof'. I'm sure that should we care to replicate what bro ping's aunt does, we would fail miserably - each system is environment specific and may not work when replicated wholesale in a different environment.

On the other hand, the fish may survive in that specific environment for a short period, but gradual stress increments may just tip them over the edge in the medium term.

• SRC Member

aiya.. the fish got lian gong fu.. tt why.. haha.. my mum fren off the pump when she leave her shop.. worst lor.. 18hr no pump.. and her fish still leaving happy.. i olso totally blur.. but bro.. ur aunt more power.. powder blue some more.. my mum fren only damsel.. haha.. but her one got qi gong.. lol..

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

• SRC Member

well its like i suddenly put u into rm with polluted dusty air. u can survive but i dont think u r happy or overly healthy. Any introduction of bacteria or virus n u'll fall sick easily.... question is = is it worth the risk... ntg may happen now but why take risk with lives?

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

moral of story= if too lazy, then dont keep marine... why cause pain n discomfort when it can be avoided

Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
Amazing!

Ping: Just curious, hows the condition of the fishes? (i.e. coloration, sickness, etc?)

No colour fading, no sick. That's really surprise me!!!!

feed like hungry monster!!

I am not kidding here. I am serious!

• SRC Member

Its not lazy or what, just her style.

If you are too cocky, save your comments here. :angry:

relac lah ...just stating facts... u know how i started keeping marines back when cudnt even afford hygrometer.... aga aga the salt just based on the instructions.... many creatures survived but does that make it rite.. i even put the fishes in immediately after mixing the salt with water... my clowns n damsels survived... again= does it make it rite.... well when i was 14 yrs old = sounds ok but now i am the first to say i m wrong ... that was back when there was no internet n fish books are rare... now with so much info available i cant understand the reason for doing things when u know its not rite... i m not being cocky... but if u think it rite then by all means carry on...

Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

There are always things with grey areas, and hence no absolute right or wrong answers, just what one is confortable with. To each his/her own. Just like the system I have chosen to run - minimal capital but rather high mortalities at the start, although I'm starting to see positive results now. Not that I cannot afford the money or the time, just the stubbornness to accept the conventional method.

I think if Bro Ping can continue to observe what his aunt does, and see if what she does is always consistent (amount of used water removed, siphoning out dirt, period of exposure of fish to tap water, period of salt dissolution etc.), we may have some interesting information.

• SRC Member

THIS IS ONLY MY TWO-CENTS WORTH!

In my very honest opinion, some of here in the Reef Club are fanatics.... what I mean is that we take our hobby very very very serious. We buy chiller, skimmer, we add chemicals into the water to encourage growth of corals, lighting also we take care, timings, chnaging of water, parameters etc etc tec.

Honestly, we all have seen the conditions of the seawater in our seas (Changi, East Coast, Pasir Ris, etc) we know how dirty and in fact I have taken water from Punggol the s.g. is only 1.02 but there is fishes in the seas. If we seen some of the pictures taken in the Kusu island, we will actually seen corals and fishes in these local water. Question I want to ask is... is that water anywhere near our parameters???? Answer I dare say is NO. But it is there.

I been to Palau Rendeng, crystal clear blue water, beautiful fishes everywhere, but who takes cares of them, GOD?? Yes, I think so.

Back to this matter in hand, I guess that sometimes I do just pour in 3 cupfuls of "tap water" directly into the sump - to top up the evaporated water. But I do monitor the nitrate and S.g. every 4-5 days.

I guess that if we pamper our fishes, then they become used to the "wealthy" ways, in the high seas, these fishes are not feed daily, they eat whatever they can find in the deep blue sea. Yes since we are the "cruel" ones who want to keep them then we should take good care of them.

Conclusion is that some people do not pay so much attention and thus the fishes compensate for the abuse and adapt quickly to the adverse conditions that they are in and make do. For the rest of us, we can just take very very good care of our percious little small part of the ocean that we created. :bow:

Conclusion is that some people do not pay so much attention and thus the fishes compensate for the abuse and adapt quickly to the adverse conditions that they are in and make do.

reading your post makes me confess i am one of those. but mine is only a FOWLR tank... maybe that give me the opportunity to be 'lazy' ?

Conclusion is that some people do not pay so much attention and thus the fishes compensate for the abuse and adapt quickly to the adverse conditions that they are in and make do.

reading your post makes me confess i am one of those. but mine is only a FOWLR tank... maybe that give me the opportunity to be 'lazy' ?

later she read yr comments and :angry:

• SRC Member

relac lah ...just stating facts... u know how i started keeping marines back when cudnt even afford hygrometer.... aga aga the salt just based on the instructions.... many creatures survived but does that make it rite.. i even put the fishes in immediately after mixing the salt with water... my clowns n damsels survived... again= does it make it rite.... well when i was 14 yrs old = sounds ok but now i am the first to say i m wrong ... that was back when there was no internet n fish books are rare... now with so much info available i cant understand the reason for doing things when u know its not rite... i m not being cocky... but if u think it rite then by all means carry on...

:lol: bro ping, we are learning things here and sharing info here. don't get too offended by what others said. take it easy, no point for your to get angry! ;) Bros here are joke and teaches one another. why take it so seriously?

anway, since this happend...u must teach her the correct method liao lor! hopefully she can get used to the new method, if not, she will give up liao!

personally, i dun know how the fishes can survive...but i do know that with a little pinch of salt sprinkle down the water will caused the corals to melt...cos i try that when i'm new!!

maybe u wanna check her water parameters and share with us? maybe theres a new method of reefing???? :P