My Main Tank Crashed...

victorp

• SRC Member

:cry2:

Sigh! My main tank crashed last Wednesday taking most of my fishes away - my pinkish black sea cucumber got shredded overnight by one of the powerheads. All my Tangs are now gone - Yellow, Blue, Powder Blue, and Naso; both of my Pyjama Cardinal, my Chomis, and one Tomato Clown (the large one which died a day later) are also gone. I have left with one Fire Clown and one smaller Tomato Clown; all my shrimps are okay - a pair of Fire, Cleaner, Camel; all my hermit crabs, snails seem okay (one died because it was disoriented and plonked on the sand bed, exposing its underside and was eaten subsequently); my lone starfish is also okay as well as another black sea cucumber. My Prizm Pro was foaming like mad for one day, and I have not changed the tank water yet - a sort of experiment. I have a bag of activated carbon in the sump but it is about 2 months old, and I have just added some strips of PolyFilter into the Filter Media basket of my Prizm Pro yesterday. I have also added more than usual Beneficial Bacteria. My reason is that the toxins released by the dead sea cucumber is protein-based, so all of the actions I have taken is to remove or break down the toxins. Of course, I also removed those big pieces of the dead sea cucumber which I can find on the live rocks and sand bed.

Lesson: Cover all powerheads intake!

Wow....just hope tat does'nt happen to my tank....lucky the powerhead too high for the sea cucumber to reach...

You could consider loaning a very oversized skimmer from someone to skim out the 'stuff' that the sea cuke gave out...

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

So sorry to hear that.

Regards

Sherman

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
Wow....just hope tat does'nt happen to my tank....lucky the powerhead too high for the sea cucumber to reach

Sea cucumbers can climb up the sides of your tank, so do cover your powerheads' intake with foam or sponge.

IMO, Maybe u can consider doing large water changes.... it's the faster way to remove toxins....

no use doing experiments with strips of poly-filter w/o changing water....

I am not in a hurry to add any LS as it is also about time for me to clean up my algae-covered tank and sump. Anyway, my remaining LS are still doing fine.

after all this incident, i have fear in keeping cuke.............

another suicide cuke again.........

Sea cucumber are excellent in keeping your sand bed pristine clean. Just make sure you all intakes with some foam or sponge.

Eh? My black sea cuke never climbs the rockwork to the powerhead...it's forever on da sand. neither does it climb the glass too.

Btw...wat sea cucumber was yours? Is it the common black one that the chinese makan? :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
... My black sea cuke never climbs the rockwork to the powerhead...it's forever on da sand. neither does it climb the glass too.

victorp, I'm sorry to hear about your lost.

I have 3 feather cukes that are perched on the glass and rock work. They've been there and haven't moved much for almost a year already. Hope they stay that way.

FuEl, I used to have a black cuke that climbs the glass once in a while. Just note that your black cuke is perfectly capable of climbing up the glass if it chooses.

Cheers.

• SRC Member

This is getting a bit too common. Got to put out a warning to ALL cuke owners to make safe their powerhead. :erm:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

are those cubes capable of climbing into a tunze stream?...

i thinking of getting one of those cubes..

wah...new term...'cubes'...

ok williammuk..i shall monitor it very very closely. Hehe... :ph34r: