Anemones

• SRC Member

umm.. tot of owning a bubble tip anemone..

but kinda worried that it will die then crash my whole tank..

dun wish to see all my fishes dead when i'm back from work kinda stuff

so wat is the best way??

any suggestion on how shld i start??

thanks..

:ph34r::ph34r:

• SRC Member

I think if you were to keep anemone, u have to keep very close watch on it. If u notice something not right, i.e severe shrinking in size, detaching itself from the rock it usually house in and etc, u better remove it fast to prevent a disaster from happening! ;)

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member

I have a friend tat keep Anemones.. he told me be4 tat Anemones wont stay still.. and if yu have sps like mushroom or zoas better dun keep.. coz Anemones might overlap them and tats bad.. my friend feed wif prawn tat buy from NTUC and they grow really fast.. will they are fat and open big is so beautiful.. especially clown fish ''play'' wif it is so cute :paiseh:

when Anemone shrinking in size yu have to be carefull.. it might be dying.. it will crash ur system..

gd luck :P cheez

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

i started this hobby keeping anemones...

there was 1 time when i had near to 20 anemones in my tank..

a few things i notice:

BTA - move the most..high chance of kenna suck into PH.

Rock/sand anemone - stays in sand bed.. can consider, but not beautiful.

Red bottom type- also will stay in sand bed...

Tube anemone - will burrow into sand too. easy to keep.

If u make it a species tank and keep onli anemone, then all type also can keep lah..

Things to change:-

remove or protect all PH.. to prevent them from being sucked in ..

best is change the return outlet to rainbar.. so that can take out all PH..

That give u an insight of it.. ;)

• SRC Member

i have a ane but it doesn't seem to be of great health...althou i do target feed it but doesn't seem to be growing n def not opening up big when i bought it...guess is e water..but my other softies (mush n zoo) are doing quite well.. water temp at abt 28 n SG abt 1.025...is lighting n a chiller very impt for anes?...pls advice...

Henry Tan

Sembawang

3x1.5x1.5 2.5x1x1.5

LS

1xfire clown/ 1xyellow boxer

1xpercular/ 1xcoral beauty

1xboxer/ 2xfire shrimps

1xcoral beauty/ 2xfalse clowns

2xhawk fish/ 1xane crab

1xyellow tail damsel/ 2xcleaners

3xturbo snails

2xhermits

1xtomato clown

Set up.....

Sump - Done

DIY Cabinet - Done

DIY Overflow Pipe - Done

• SRC Member

after 3 failed attempts at keeping anemones, I will share my experience.

Try not to have any powerhead/suction devices in the same tank as the anemones as they will have the chance of being caught and sucked into these intakes. (there are ways to prevent this type of accident from happening - just surf the internet to check)

Anemones require a chiller to survive or unless you can keep the water temperature low - about 28 degrees is best or else the anemone will keep moving and changing position to try to find a "cooler" spot in your tank.

If you don't have chiller the most the anemone will last about 3-4 weeks before showing signs of distress.

Actually I have seem real live anemones in beaches in Desaru - when it is at low tide and the anemone is expose to the "hot sun" for about 3 hours during low tide but they can still survive in the wild but in our fish tank temperature is an issue to them.

Hope you have success keeping anemones. ;)

i have an bta ane that's in my tank for close to 2months now.... moved a lot at first but after a few days, found it's favorite spot and has been stuck to the rock since then... So far not much problems even though I don't have a chiller. my tank temp ranges from 28.5-30 deg so I guess temp issue is not that great.... juz gotta have plenty of flow and light for your ane to me happy.

• SRC Member

I have BTA for almost a year too.. U have to place the anemone at a crevice / hole that u have created. This area has to have some amount of water flow and of significant lightning too. Thats the 3 basic rule i follow... hope this helps....

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

I'm no expert. When buying my first BTA, the LFS guy says clown fish will feed the Anemone. I thought he was joking... then during feeding time, I noticed my Maroon Clown catching the food, swim back to the anemone, and release the food. Then the anemone's tentacles (whatever you call that) grab hold of the food!