Ming's Outdoor Tank

ming69

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
I think most of us have clutters of stuff all around the place... I'm already getting nagged at by my colleagues on the number of things placed in the office. You can find filter wool in the document cabinet, distilled water in the spare equipment cabinet... :P

at least yours are hidden in cabinets, mine out in the open :lol:

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• SRC Member

A shot of the nano tank. In the beginning, it was a mushies tank, but now a zoa nursery. The zoas that are not doing well in the main tank are moved over and they do much better here, although there's some lost of colors, but they are growing well. :)

post-5641-1261669178_thumb.jpg

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

A shot of the nano tank. In the beginning, it was a mushies tank, but now a zoa nursery. The zoas that are not doing well in the main tank are moved over and they do much better here, although there's some lost of colors, but they are growing well. :)

Swee! any chance they will be frag? :eyebrow:

• SRC Member

Hi Sis Ming

Someone skyped me with a link to sgreefclub showcasing your colourful LPS & SPS outdoor tank. I have viewed some pages with pics of your tank taken in 2007. I must say I admire your ability to take care of so many beautiful & colourful corals, not to mention the fishes too. If you don't mind, I have two questions for you.

1. I believed I saw a catalina goby in your tank. This is a cold-water fish requiring water temperature of no more than 21 degree centigrade as stipulated by American websites. Most S'pore hobbyists cannot meet this requirement due to high electricity costs. What is the water temperature that you maintained for this fish & is it still alive today?

2. How do you maintain a balance between keeping SPS corals requiring very clean water & LPS corals which need solid food which in the process of feeding, will raise the nutrient level of the tank water to the detriment of the SPS corals?

Thanks & wishing you a Happy New Year!

Greenmariner

• SRC Member
Hi Sis Ming

Someone skyped me with a link to sgreefclub showcasing your colourful LPS & SPS outdoor tank. I have viewed some pages with pics of your tank taken in 2007. I must say I admire your ability to take care of so many beautiful & colourful corals, not to mention the fishes too. If you don't mind, I have two questions for you.

1. I believed I saw a catalina goby in your tank. This is a cold-water fish requiring water temperature of no more than 21 degree centigrade as stipulated by American websites. Most S'pore hobbyists cannot meet this requirement due to high electricity costs. What is the water temperature that you maintained for this fish & is it still alive today?

Thanks so much for your compliments. As for the catalina, it was my one and only attempt in keep it. Think I only lowered my temp to about 24 degree. And being an outdoor tank, at that temp, the condensation is pretty bad. In a way, guess lucky for me, it didn't last very long in my tank.

2. How do you maintain a balance between keeping SPS corals requiring very clean water & LPS corals which need solid food which in the process of feeding, will raise the nutrient level of the tank water to the detriment of the SPS corals?

The sps I have are usually those that are of beginners' level, ie, those that doesn't turn brown so easily. As for the LPS, think they have been with me long enuf to survive on liquid food and pellets. I hardly feed them meat. There are a few LPS/softies, which I have tried, but never had success with, such as blasto, lobo, even elephant ear. Recently, I changed my skimmer, so that should have helped in the sps part. Also, I don't feed the fishes frozen food very often, so that could have helped in keeping the water condition acceptable.

Thanks & wishing you a Happy New Year!

Greenmariner

Hope I have answered some of your questions.

Happy New Year!! :)

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any updates on your tank sis?

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Have been busy with family stuff over the holiday period. Tank has a slight problem with fluffy red algae, otherwise nothing much has changed. Probably need to trim some SPSes cos some are growing a bit too close to the edge of the tank and to each other <_<

Will try to take some pics for tank update........

:thanks:

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

Have been busy with family stuff over the holiday period. Tank has a slight problem with fluffy red algae, otherwise nothing much has changed. Probably need to trim some SPSes cos some are growing a bit too close to the edge of the tank and to each other <_<

Will try to take some pics for tank update........

:thanks:

Great! ahahah :P

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hello Sis anynew coral update ? Waiting for new nice picture

No new coral update at the moment. Busy getting ready for an additional 2 feet. :eyebrow: ETA August.

Hi Sis Ming

Any new small SPS frag? Our birdnest from you is growing well, next time should u some pics :)

Should be able to break something off for you. Let me know when u are free to visit. :)

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

Haha, ya, a 2ft that needs constant feeding of milk for supplement and tender, loving and care. When fragging, becareful. Take care.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler