A new beginning

wilsontantw

• SRC Member

Totally agree on the algae bit. I think some algae is definitely good for the system especially if you keep tangs etc. It always good they can munch on some algae on liverocks and not be totally dependent on the fish food.

Wow bro even your holding tanks also so many gems....all filled up already time for 3th tank...Just like our Dr Ang...hee hee

Or i can spare some place for you to put your gems collection.. kee kee..

• Like 1

|| Tank: 5x2x2.5 || Sump 3.5x1.5.1.5 || Lights: DeLighting 2x80w Aquable Special T5 ||

|| Return: 2 x ehiem 1264 || Skimmer: Skimz SM251 ||

|| CR: deltec denitrator || ATO with custom make reservior tank||

|| FR: TLF running Rowas ,UV ||

|| Wavemaker: Jebao RE20& RW15|| Chiller: Daikin 1HP Compressor ||

|| Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor ||

Wah, nice stuffs leh, Wilson... secretly stock up so much holiao!

no secret bro... desi has seen my tanks together with her dad (while u were gone)... im not C.T.H.D... quite open secret one. I've recently came across some REALLY GEM TANKS... stunning gems, that made my jaw drop... i'm inspired to ensure i keep up with the tank husbandry!

rowa has a new product called rowa crystal...liquid GFO...u may want to try this...got one bottle from reborn yesterday...$35 for 500ml...100ml for each 200litres, once every 2 weeks.

Thanks Siang... will probably give it a shot... since im out of rowa now.

Nice shots of your tank and corals, you have a blue pocci???? Time to get a frag from you!

Somehow i notice that the film of green algae growth is some what common, .... So i think its part and parcel of the marine cycle therefore i am also letting algae grow but somewhere else.

Anytime for you... just drop by when u'r back in town? Or when u come over to see Rianne next week. This one i should be able to frag. I've got one mini colony in main tank - encrust to LR already. Fast grower!

nice blue pocci.

there's a colony of browned out blue pocci in iwarna's pond. i got a frag and it grows very fast.

GOsh, really... there's one? must go and steal! hahaha... but yes, it is a really fast grower and the blue is pretty stunning.

SPS "tree"! Nice bro! :thumbsup:

I usually think algae means that your tank is alive. The challenge is to maintain that natural balance.

Haha... thats my lousy attempt to create some 'scape' in the holding tank. but i must admit, it gives a lot of space to stick my frags... i like...

And onto the algae discussion... to a large extent, i agree having algae is good... thats the reason why my anorexic YT is now fat fat, even though i only feed my fish once a week! (up to 30 pellets only).

Totally agree on the algae bit. I think some algae is definitely good for the system especially if you keep tangs etc. It always good they can munch on some algae on liverocks and not be totally dependent on the fish food.

Uh huh! i'm with you on this bro! but the problem i faced is worse... the film algae is growing on my frag rack, and growing over some of my sps/zoas. Not good... Sand bed... same problem... and i believe it all started when one head of a torch coral died and it's placed in a low flow area. So yah. that's the root cause. And after that i got lazy with WC. Not good at all.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

Wow! Nice tanks bro! When are you reaping in your harvest! Hoho :))

Don't forget me k! I'll come with my army-issued swiss army knife! Lol :))

Harvest?? haha... sure, i'll let you know when i'm harvesting... but it's still a long way to go.

Wow bro even your holding tanks also so many gems....all filled up already time for 3th tank...Just like our Dr Ang...hee hee

Or i can spare some place for you to put your gems collection.. kee kee..

Bro... really, i'm already drooling at your tank pics... cant imagine when i see it in person! i think the holding tank can still make some space... Main tank also can have more real estate with some clever addition of real estate. Just gotta go slow now. 3rd tank is out of the question! no way at all.

Very soon you will be my another hang out place just like Dr Ang. Well done bro.

My place not as comfortable as CA's leh... but you are welcome to bring your princesses over... they can teach my boy (and new baby girl) a thing or two... while we talk reefing. :)

cool! i got special mention.. hur hur..

Bro... you... always have a special place in my heart! *NB* damn gay sia! hahaha... but seriously. u gotta rekindle your love (read: spend some time) in reefing. Remember the rics craze?? You need to start something again! Maybe super sun craze???

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

It's been a few days since i last update the thread... mainly becoz i've been busy with family stuff.

Wifey just gave birth to our 2nd kid on 11/1/11 @ 11XX hrs. Oh, those who knows me well, will know i have a fascination over a series of 1s. (not being number 1, but a lot of 11111111)....

UNfortunately, i'm still not lucky enough to have my car number with 1111. *i'm still looking and trying to bid for it... anyone knows how much i need???

Anyway, back to the tank.. prior to my wife's delivery... i was rushing to quickly do up a new frag station for the main tank, as both frag racks are invaded by green 'film' algae! Cedric was king enough to help me at the 11th hour to help complete my DIY project! and at the same time, do up my ATO...

But due to time constraint, i spent like 2 hours cleaning up the frags on the old racks and place them unto the new one! Goodness, didn't know it's THAT PAINFUL!

Sadly, in all the rush, didn't take a picture of the new rack... will do so next time i go home (yes, i've been stucked at the hospital since 11/1).

Went back home for a couple of hours earlier to see my eldest, who was also down with high fever (on the same day his sister was born!) Dunno if this is coincidence or just his way of 'hinting' us?!?!

Managed to spot a couple of sps 'kissing' each other, and immediately do some recovery action (hope i can save them in time). Did FW top-up and quickly wash-up the skimmer cup (it's only been 3days, and the neck is filled with so much gunk! But i didn't even feed the fishies... so what happened man!?!?)

Oh, and in all the rush, i managed to take a video of the holding tank... (but i think the lighting condition was quite atrocious...) but heck... after all this 'words'... i better show some action... less i get scolded for being long-winded.

And if you noticed, the video ended abruptly... that's becoz my mum reminded me that the DI unit is overflowing my FW container... *it's true! It caused a small flood in my kitchen!

Enjoy...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Before I forget..

Uncle mike: That big aiptasia that i thought was "missed" by your copperband.. Is like half-dead when I last saw the tank this evening. The "assignment" should be completed by end of this week.

Hurray!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

wilson bro, even your holding tank also damn swee ah.. :)

my last copperband i tried to introduce to take care of my aipstasia, kenna whack updownleftright by my AT, dunno whether to add another one to try ornot.. :eyeblur:

Nice reef tank, Wil. You are natural like Dr Ang. Once you are more settle down with your new Gem Baby Girl,your reef beauty would be intensified up again.

Just spotted your pics posting today. Excellent SPS.

Take care man!

rgds,

I will enjoy this moment.. princess is now happily sleeping in mummy's arms now. But now my boy kena problem. Fever didnt subside after 4 days. Just now chiong to KK cos he cough/vomit until cannot breathe.

And back to reefing... I think I'm poisoned. Today had a 4th "break", went to GO and picked up a few stuff.

wilson bro, even your holding tank also damn swee ah.. :)

my last copperband i tried to introduce to take care of my aipstasia, kenna whack updownleftright by my AT, dunno whether to add another one to try ornot.. :eyeblur:

Quite messy actually. Some of the SPS are losing colours cos too close to the light. Sigh. But no time to change place now. Maybe next week when I have some spare time. (in between night feeds)

This copperband is big lor. At first I was worry that the kole will challenge it. But copperband showed it who's boss right from the start. Haha.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

If you add ABselectstart, your copperband will have 30 lives. :P

??!!?? Sounds like some xbox thing?? Sorry but I really dunno how to play console games. Sad but I've never really own playstation or xbox or wii. Not even one. :(

Quite no life hor... Haha

congrats on your 2nd child!

Thanks much bro! Hows ur Vietnam trip? Got exotic "pho"? Haha.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

It's amazing to see bro Wilson still typing his way out to update us all on his tank !!! :groupwavereversed: I concluded that the poison has reached advanced stage liao :upsidedown:

Yes I think so. This afternoon was a crazy one. Heck, in fact this week was a crazy week. And I could still go GO earlier. What was I thinking?!?

Anyway, picked 2 LPS and a Yuma. Decided to try one last time. This piece was too good to resist. Keeping fingers crossed. Sadly cannot upload pix via iPhone, thus pictures will be later...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

congrats on your baby wilson!

nice frag tank. copperband looks abit skinny though.

Thanks YK,

it's not a frag tank.. it's called 'holding' tank.

actually not wrong to call frag tank... it's used to store frags i received from exchange/buy from reefers.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Haha bro your holding tank also filling up soon. Btw I find gluing of sps frag on the wall very interesting, when they grow and turn into colony, it will be super nice. :welldone:

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

Haha bro your holding tank also filling up soon. Btw I find gluing of sps frag on the wall very interesting, when they grow and turn into colony, it will be super nice. :welldone:

Hi Gary, this is still a trial.. i previously tried on my main tank, but it didnt work too well, coz currents too strong near the back wall.

seems like the holding tank is 'holding' up well... for sure zoas will be ok, coz those in main tank are growing already. But SPS, hmm... still need to observe.

Well Done.. Wilson.. :welldone:

new-arrival-baby-congratulations.jpg

thanks CF!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|